The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction…

The Scene Book: A Primer for the Fiction Writer

by Sandra Scofield

I've always considered good writing an art, something that can't really be taught or learned. This book showed me how wrong that idea was. Talent is important to good writing, but so is form and technique. Scofield teaches how pulse, events, beats, point of view, scenarios, and several other tools add up to create a story that really works. She also gives some really good tips for revising your own writing. I would recommend this book to anyone who is seriously considering writing a novel. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 29, 2016 |
The advice in this book will make an experienced writer roll his eyes, and could do serious damage to a novice writer, lacking in confidence.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever read a craft book I liked. ( )
  amydross | Jun 9, 2011 |
Ever get that writing book that you wish you would've had before you started the project you're currently working on? This is that book. ( )
  donp | Nov 17, 2008 |
For a beginning writer who is just learning the basics of how to break down a story into manageable parts, this book would be helpful. There are plenty of examples, and exercises at the end of each chapter.

That said, many of the chapters were so basic, at the end I'd wonder whether I'd read anything at all. In a scene, things happen--here are some examples, see how things happen? And a scene has tension--here are some scenes with tension. See the tension here? And here?

So, if you want to be a writer and you find yourself accidentally writing pages and pages where nothing happens, or if you're taking a class and the teacher says "Not enough tension," read this book. If you're an experienced writer (I didn't think I was, actually. Hmmm.) looking for tips on improving the scenes in your work-in-progress, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. ( )
  Alirambles | Jun 25, 2007 |

A treasure-trove of scene-writing wisdom from award-winning author and teacher Sandra Scofield

To write a good scene, you have to know the following:
• Every scene has an EVENT
• Every scene has a FUNCTION in the narrative
• Every scene has a STRUCTURE: a beginning, middle, and end
• Every scene has a PULSE

The Scene Book is a fundamental guide to crafting more effective scenes in fiction. In clear, simple language, Sandra Scofield shows both the beginner and the seasoned writer how to build better scenes, the underpinning of any good narrative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,424,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible