A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon

A Dangerous Thing

by Josh Lanyon

I am almost afraid to read the next book in the series. That's how much I liked this one. In two hundred or so pages it managed to pack so many things and to stay awesome.

To escape a writer's block and whatever he and Jake have (or don't have as the case may be), Adrien goes to his ranch in northern California. Near the house he finds a corpse, but when the sheriff and his deputy arrive, the corpse is gone.
The whole story revolves around Adrien's property and what he finds there. The history of the town plays an important role. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Thriller/mystery side of this Adrien English book worked better for me than the first of the series. The concept of being alone out on a ranch with dead bodies and drug trafficking really creeped me out. Adrien's relationship with Jake was interesting and well drawn, and I was delighted to find that the cheesy line, "You're so tight" is as entertaining in a gay romance as it is in the straight variety.

9/16/12 - Still love these characters, excited to read further into the serires. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I enjoyed the second Adrien English book rather more than the first, probably because I already feel a connection to the main characters, Jake Riordan and Adrien himself. The tension between them is strong, and the chemistry too. The two sex scenes are pretty well-written, and some of the descriptions of emotions are quite good.

The mystery itself is a little... routine. Some of the background stuff is pretty interesting -- all the references to old mystery novels, for example. It's kinda like the manga Fake: I don't try and kid myself I'm reading that for the police work, I read to find out if/when Dee and Ryo are going to get it on, although the coherent plot is a big bonus. At least Adrien and Jake don't have to wait for the seventh volume to get it on.

The characterisation of Jake is a bit difficult, and reasonably well-handled. The reader's got to feel a bit of resentment for his treatment of Adrien, but we understand what kinda guy he is and we know why guys like him are defensive and touring Narnia.

Stronger than the first novel, so if you're unsure after that, I think this second book is a better test of whether you want to carry on or not. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
4.5 stars

Jake can be such an ass and Adrien doesn't even see it. He puts up with way more than is even believable. They've been "together" three months and in this book they finally kiss. Jake's homophobia and self-loathing is getting tiring. It's also confusing as he is inconsistent with affection. Why a guy whose been out his whole life would be willing to be with someone like Jake who doesn't even let Adrien touch him is too far fetched.

But... Lanyon is a gifted writer and this book is a joy to read. It's clever and funny in parts, emotional and intense in others. There's a lot of action and danger and desperate moments. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. (The fact that I was too sick to get out of bed was not a factor, I swear.)

Some excerpts (all taken from early in the book):

(Going to a bookcase of old books) "I approached slowly, my pulse quickening in excitement known only to book lovers in the advanced stage of addiction."

***

"You're the one paying that no account Ted Harvey to sit around and smoke dope all day."
"I'm paying hum to look after my property." Smoking dope was a perk.

***

(When closeted Jake does something domestic) Someday he was going to make some woman a wonderful wife.

***

"How come you never came back when your granny passed away?"
"I was eight. I didn't have my driver's licence."

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
4.5 stars

Some excerpts (all taken from early in the book):

***

"I'm paying hum to look after my property." Smoking dope was a perk.

***

"How come you never came back when your granny passed away?"
"I was eight. I didn't have my driver's licence."

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

Adrien English Mystery Series #2 Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted L.A.P.D. Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive, the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur sleuth. But when the game turns deadly, Adrien turns to Jake. Jake may be confused about some things, but keeping his lover alive is not one of them--no matter what the cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

In this second LA-based adventure, bookseller Adrien English arrives at the Pine Shadow Ranch (left to him by a beloved grandmother) to find a corpse in his driveway. But by the time the unfriendly local sheriffs arrive, the body has disappeared. Who are the mysterious strangers excavating on his land? And will he sort out his problems with LAPD Detective Jake Riordan, heavily into S/M sex but not so hot on relationships? Find out in this engrossing, slyly witty thriller.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible