Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged (1957)

by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (PghDragonMan, bigtent21, thebookpile)
    PghDragonMan: This earlier work is more lyrical and is a milder, and more condensed, version of the philosophy expressed by this work.
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith (thebookpile)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's magnum opus through this unique collection of scholarly criticism. See why after 50+ years in print it's selling better than when it was first published.
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (lauranav)
    The Ayn Rand Cult by Jeff Walker (bertilak)
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (ljessen)
    Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi (kswolff)
    kswolff: Henry Hill, like Dagny Taggart, uses ingenuity and skill to avoid his income getting taxed by repressive moocher FBI agents and Narcs.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The probably broach is like Atlas Shrugged meets inter-dimensional time travel.
    Blood Republic: A Political Thriller by James Duncan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you love books that try to push the envelope of philosophical thought, but do it within a rapid-fire plot, this is the book for you.
    The God of the Machine by Isabel Paterson (bertilak)
    Ten Rallies by Pasquin (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Do the needs of the many outweigh the value of the individual?
    Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fans of both Ayn Rand and the fantasy genre will find affirmation in Goodkind's series, notably beginning with this entry.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (rratzlaff)
    Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right by Jennifer Burns (szarka)
    Aristotles's metaphysics by Aristotle (thebookpile)
    Juliette by Marquis de Sade (kswolff)
    kswolff: Like "Atlas Shrugged," it is an aspirational epic about a strong-minded, pleasure-seeking woman triumphing over adversity and the herd mentality of her fellow humans. Sade, like Rand, was also a strident atheist given to writing characters give long speeches.
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (301)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (305)
Would give it zero stars if I could. I respect her philosophy and her non-fiction essays. Not her fiction. Really, I shouldn't include this book because I didn't finish it, but I made it at least halfway through. I bailed at the train wreck scene where she meticulously describes the faults of each of the passengers and how this somehow justifies their deaths. Wooden characters irrationally long monologues an author in dire need of an editor = *Exponentially* over rated work

TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
One of my favorites. You can think about any life issue and then try to apply the solution based on the numerous examples of life in this novel. ( )
  JohnLambrechts | Sep 24, 2018 |
Atlas Shrugged has been probably one of the most powerful, well-written books I have ever read. I understand why pundits, libertarian, Republican, and in general conservatives, so often reference Ayn Rand and this book. However, most of these people who use Atlas Shrugged to demonstrate their arguments have either not read the book or misinterpret it altogether.
Although Atlas Shrugged does proclaim libertarian values of extreme private property and the glories of a stateless society, it only directs this concept at the book’s heroes, an elite set of geniuses. To broadly claim that this why libertarianism is best for the population at large using this book is to miss the point of Atlas Shrugged altogether. This book does not argue that all people should have the benefits of extreme private property, it simply tells a tale where it’s exceptionally capable protagonists suffer in a society that uses their ideas to benefit people (the book would argue: undeserving, stupid people). Atlas Shrugged argues that extreme private property and statelessness would be best for these wonderful, chosen people.
Ayn Rand writes so well that it is hard to disagree with her on this point. Certainly, if you have ever been mooched off of or used for your superior talents in any field, her story quickly strikes a chord and becomes a gripping epic. The thing one must never forget, however, is that while you might have been mooched off of or used, you are not one of the irreplaceable geniuses that form the crux of this novel. You have your talents, more so or less so than the average person, but you are likely not one of the few elite that John Galt has chosen. This being the case, can you really agree with this story and how the average person is portrayed as utterly useless, insipid user?
But even if one were one of these elite geniuses, one could argue like a Progressive, like a Socialist, like a left-winger that a person is part of society and responsible for it. One should not escape to an Ark and let society crumple to dust and create a new society from its ashes under the rule of the elite, capable ones.
I disagree with Ayn Rand’s views on selfishness, on liberty, on society, and on private property, and the ruthlessness she displays in this novel toward the common man is frighteningly awful. Nonetheless, this is an excellent book and captivating. Atlas Shrugged is seductive in language and incredibly poignant. By opening this book, you are more than challenged deeply morally, ethically, and politically -- you are tempted by Ayn Rand's views.
  blueberry28 | Aug 31, 2018 |
Ayn Rand doesn't just go out of her way to make her points at times (especially with the second to last chapter)...She'll bludgeon you almost to the brink of death before she's done ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
I became a huge fan of Ayn Rand when I read The Fountain Head at the age of 20. Now after reading Atlas Shrugged, I am amazed. The way Ayn gave the details of the state of the industry, politics and people during that time left me speechless. I am totally in love with Dagny.. what a woman? The three other key characters Francisco, Hank and John Galt are wonderful men. The way they stood for what they believed in, made me believe in myself. I could not put the book down till the last page. I wanted to read it as fast as I could to know what my favorite character is upto and didn’t want the book to end, at the same time. This is a must read for every human being. The book has love, romance, courage, hatred, challenge, integrity, loathing, anger and hope

It is a great privilege to love, respect, live and work on one’s own terms. I wonder what Ayn Rand would’ve said if she had seen today’s world.

Hank’s character is the closest to my heart. Hank always wondered about his family members who professed to love him for some unknown reason but ignored all the things for which he could wish to be loved. There are plenty of young men and women who experience the conditional so-called love from family members and partners that chokes them leading to developing not even hatred but indifference.

It always is special to find a mind that we respect, an adversary worth matching.. just like Dagny found it in Hank. I totally agree with Dagny who dispises praise and adulation from men whom she doesn’t respect. I can feel what its like to feel the longing for someone you admire, for something, not to look down at, but up to.

By the time I reached the last page, I understood “No one’s happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy”.
Read my review at https://theclippednightingale.wordpress.com/2018/04/12/atlas-shrugged-review/
#atlasshrugged #aynrand #bookreview #bookreviewer #bookworm #goodreads #netgalley #kindle #reviewer ( )
  madhupal2486 | May 1, 2018 |
"Despite laborious monologues, the reader will stay with this strange world, borne along by its story and eloquent flow of ideas."
added by GYKM | editNewsweek

"to warn contemporary America against abandoning its factories, neglecting technological progress and abolishing the profit motive seems a little like admonishing water against running uphill."

"inspired" and "monumental" but "(t)o the Christian, everyone is redeemable. But Ayn Rand’s ethical hardness may repel those who most need her message: that charity should be voluntary…. She should not have tried to rewrite the Sermon on the Mount."

Atlas Shrugged represents a watershed in the history of world literature.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article...

"We struggle to be just. For we cannot help feeling at least a sympathetic pain before the sheer labor, discipline, and patient craftsmanship that went to making this mountain of words. But the words keep shouting us down. In the end that tone dominates. But it should be its own antidote, warning us that anything it shouts is best taken with the usual reservations with which we might sip a patent medicine. Some may like the flavor. In any case, the brew is probably without lasting ill effects. But it is not a cure for anything. Nor would we, ordinarily, place much confidence in the diagnosis of a doctor who supposes that the Hippocratic Oath is a kind of curse."

"remarkably silly" and "can be called a novel only by devaluing the term" ... "From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: 'To the gas chambers — go!'"

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hurt, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Frank O'Connor and Nathaniel Branden
To Frank O'Connor
"Who is John Galt?"
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Pride is the recognition of the fact that you are your own highest value and, like all of man’s values, it has to be earned.
Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it.
Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns—or dollars. Take your choice—there is no other.
It wasn’t real, was it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0452011876, Paperback)

At last, Ayn Rand's masterpiece is available to her millions of loyal readers in trade paperback.

With this acclaimed work and its immortal query, "Who is John Galt?", Ayn Rand found the perfect artistic form to express her vision of existence. Atlas Shrugged made Rand not only one of the most popular novelists of the century, but one of its most influential thinkers.

Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit.

Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

The decisions of a few industrial leaders shake the roots of capitalism and reawaken man's awareness of himself as an heroic being.

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191145, 0141188936

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible