Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged (original 1957; edition 1999)

by Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff (Introduction)

Member:atrautz
Title:Atlas Shrugged
Authors:Ayn Rand
Other authors:Leonard Peikoff (Introduction)
Info:Plume (1999), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1200 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction/Literature/Plays/Essays, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:Literature

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (1957)

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (PghDragonMan, bigtent21, thebookpile)
    PghDragonMan: This earlier work is more lyrical and is a milder, and more condensed, version of the philosophy expressed by this work.
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith (thebookpile)
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (lauranav)
    The Ayn Rand Cult by Jeff Walker (bertilak)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's magnum opus through this unique collection of scholarly criticism. See why after 50+ years in print it's selling better than when it was first published.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (ljessen)
    Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi (kswolff)
    kswolff: Henry Hill, like Dagny Taggart, uses ingenuity and skill to avoid his income getting taxed by repressive moocher FBI agents and Narcs.
    Metaphysics by Aristotle (thebookpile)
    The God of the Machine by Isabel Paterson (bertilak)
    Ten Rallies by Pasquin (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Do the needs of the many outweigh the value of the individual?
    Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right by Jennifer Burns (szarka)
    Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fans of both Ayn Rand and the fantasy genre will find affirmation in Goodkind's series, notably beginning with this entry.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (rratzlaff)
    Juliette by Marquis de Sade (kswolff)
    kswolff: Like "Atlas Shrugged," it is an aspirational epic about a strong-minded, pleasure-seeking woman triumphing over adversity and the herd mentality of her fellow humans. Sade, like Rand, was also a strident atheist given to writing characters give long speeches.
    BioShock: Rapture by John Shirley (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Intriguing premise: the fictional rise and fall of an Ayn Rand utopia (sf/horror)
    The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand Ayn Rand is one of my favorite authors and I have only read Atlas Shrugged. I saw the first two movies after a friend had mentioned them and loved the subject matter. After being sadly disappointed with the third movie (Atlas Shrugged Part III), I felt compelled to read the book. The first two movies were fairly decent representations of the story, but unfortunately in my opinion, the third was not.To start, I'm not here to preach political beliefs to anyone. I strongly agree with Ayn's perspective on life. If you want to have a long conversation about it or a debate, I'm not interested in doing so. I know that we all have different perspectives and opinions about life and how things should be. That's what makes life so fun and exciting. Different points of views that offer us insight into determining if we do or don't like something, and if we choose to incorporate more of those things in our own lifes.The message is poignant and the characters are strong. I think that everyone, from every country, can gain immense value by reading Atlas Shrugged.Ayn is not American born and I appreciate her work ethic and mentality greatly. I'm excited to read more of her works. ( )
  MarthaSweeney | Apr 17, 2015 |
Extreme in its views, and long-winded in many sections, but I learned from it. The story has its ups and downs, but did good at keeping me interested throughout it's lengthy monologues and the like. I hated how Dagny goes from being respectable to being a self-righteous whore, I believe Rand modeled her after herself actually. ( )
  NickAlmighty | Apr 11, 2015 |
There is nothing I can think or write about this novel that hasn't been thought or written by someone else. I am a big fan of Rand, I am looking forward to a documentary I have found on Netflix and I have a biography somewhere in my stacks as well. I did waffle a bit, almost taking away a star for the length of the Galt speech toward the end of the book, but then the fact that there was actual action and tension at the end of the book, I returned the star. ( )
  MaureenCean | Apr 11, 2015 |
My god it was long. ( )
  Crystal.Brown | Mar 19, 2015 |
This Audiobook was pretty good. Llike the other audio books I have listened to of Rand's work it includes an "introduction" that completely ruins the book. I would recommend skipping it, but as usual it is not as easy to do as it should be (why can't this intro be a separate CD, or provide instructions to "skip to track 15 to avoid possible spoilers"?

The story was written in 1957 and set "in the not too distant future" So I guess its a hypothetical 1960s?

At firt I really loved this story. An epic that occurs in a real world situation of corporate America and the battle between competitors and the government and the unions. The "flash back" to the relationship between Dagny Taggart and Francisco d'Anconia lead me to believe that this may be the first novel I've ever read where the sex scenes were tasteful and necessary to the development of the story, however the inclusion of the affair between Hank Rearden I feel the need to change my opinon of that.

For the most part the CD changes where examplirery. Not just the "This story is continued on disc 8" but more importantly the story steemed to get to a perfect transition point with the end of each CD. I thought this was on purpose, until "Part I ended in the middle of disc 15 of a 16 disc set. Why not just let that be the end, particularly if you are turn Disc length throughout?

All in all a good story and I'm look forward to the rest. ( )
  fulner | Mar 8, 2015 |
"Despite laborious monologues, the reader will stay with this strange world, borne along by its story and eloquent flow of ideas."
added by GYKM | editNewsweek

"inspired" and "monumental" but "(t)o the Christian, everyone is redeemable. But Ayn Rand’s ethical hardness may repel those who most need her message: that charity should be voluntary…. She should not have tried to rewrite the Sermon on the Mount."

"to warn contemporary America against abandoning its factories, neglecting technological progress and abolishing the profit motive seems a little like admonishing water against running uphill."

Atlas Shrugged represents a watershed in the history of world literature.

"remarkably silly" and "can be called a novel only by devaluing the term" ... "From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: 'To the gas chambers — go!'"

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Frank O'Connor and Nathaniel Branden
To Frank O'Connor
"Who is John Galt?"
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Pride is the recognition of the fact that you are your own highest value and, like all of man’s values, it has to be earned.
Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it.
Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice--there is no other.
It wasn’t real, was it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0452011876, Paperback)

At last, Ayn Rand's masterpiece is available to her millions of loyal readers in trade paperback.

With this acclaimed work and its immortal query, "Who is John Galt?", Ayn Rand found the perfect artistic form to express her vision of existence. Atlas Shrugged made Rand not only one of the most popular novelists of the century, but one of its most influential thinkers.

Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit.

Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

The decisions of a few industrial leaders shake the roots of capitalism and reawaken man's awareness of himself as an heroic being.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191145, 0141188936

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible