Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged (original 1957; edition 1999)

by Ayn Rand, Leonard Peikoff (Introduction)

Member:exfed
Title:Atlas Shrugged
Authors:Ayn Rand
Other authors:Leonard Peikoff (Introduction)
Info:Plume (1999), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1200 pages

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (1957)

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (PghDragonMan, bigtent21, thebookpile)
    PghDragonMan: This earlier work is more lyrical and is a milder, and more condensed, version of the philosophy expressed by this work.
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith (thebookpile)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of Rand's magnum opus through this unique collection of scholarly criticism. See why after 50+ years in print it's selling better than when it was first published.
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (lauranav)
    The Ayn Rand Cult by Jeff Walker (bertilak)
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (ljessen)
    Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi (kswolff)
    kswolff: Henry Hill, like Dagny Taggart, uses ingenuity and skill to avoid his income getting taxed by repressive moocher FBI agents and Narcs.
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The probably broach is like Atlas Shrugged meets inter-dimensional time travel.
    Blood Republic: A Political Thriller by James R. Duncan (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you love books that try to push the envelope of philosophical thought, but do it within a rapid-fire plot, this is the book for you.
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    The God of the Machine by Isabel Paterson (bertilak)
    Ten Rallies by Pasquin (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Do the needs of the many outweigh the value of the individual?
    Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fans of both Ayn Rand and the fantasy genre will find affirmation in Goodkind's series, notably beginning with this entry.
    Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right by Jennifer Burns (szarka)
    Metaphysics by Aristotle (thebookpile)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (rratzlaff)
    Juliette by Marquis de Sade (kswolff)
    kswolff: Like "Atlas Shrugged," it is an aspirational epic about a strong-minded, pleasure-seeking woman triumphing over adversity and the herd mentality of her fellow humans. Sade, like Rand, was also a strident atheist given to writing characters give long speeches.
    BioShock: Rapture by John Shirley (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Intriguing premise: the fictional rise and fall of an Ayn Rand utopia (sf/horror)
    The Stand by Stephen King (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

I'm so thrilled that I finally read this! I have sort of a love-hate relationship with this book. There were momentns when I thought I was crazy for reading it and other times when I loved it. It's very heavy reading. She could have chopped 400 pages off and it would have been a better novel, but I think the narcissist in her just wouldn't shut up. Perfect title and I loved discovering the meaning behind it. ( )
  Jenny_Baker | Sep 28, 2016 |
totally disagree with the philosophy of the book, but enjoyed reading it as a teenager. ( )
  ericmcherry | Sep 14, 2016 |
One of my top 5 books of all time. Becoming more non-fiction every day. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Review: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

What a mastermind behind this book. The book is long-winded but I enjoyed every page. What helped me to understand, follow and stay interested in the story was reading it in sections among reading other books. The book was well written, organized, creative characters, and completely detailed and described context throughout the book. There was some tedious writing here and there but nothing that I wouldn’t say was distracting, in fact sometimes it helped me to remember situations and issues of a long story that has to hold and expand my memory more than usual.

The story takes place somewhere in the 1950’s and is based on the industrial, economic, government, and the society of the Unite States through Ayn Rand’s philosophy and how she wants the reader to interpret her words. Not everyone needs to agree with her generic philosophy but I for one appreciate what and how she was illustrating the pragmatic results of right and wrong vs. theories and principles.

Rand uses some ideal characters as Dagny Taggart who co-owns and runs a continental railroad, Francisco D’Anconia who owns copper mines and Hank Rearden who owns a large steel mill in modern America and through these symbolic characters and more Rand’s philosophy represents the descriptive forces of love, hate, politics, integrity and morality of two kinds of people, the creators and the leeches.

The whole concept of the story is based mainly on an industrial setting, where Ayn Rand demonstrates the destruction that would happen to the world should the “looters” take over, moving the focus of society from the individual to the combined structure of greed, from superiority to impartiality, and from productivity to idleness. The plot is one that is remarkably able to portray all the implications of unselfish and generous, socialistic views in a serious misled society. The result would be a sure case for the unrestrictive, capitalist state in which one thinks for oneself and creates severe effort to achieve and flourish. Rand explains this problem and represents its solution by using a character trait of personal interiority and selfish actions of the leading characters as Dagny Taggart, John Galt, and Hank Readen, among a handful of others who are leaders of productive, virtuous element if society representing capitalism, and industry. The “creators” are the pioneering people who use the power of their will and intelligence to better humanity. Meanwhile, Rand uses people like Dagny’s brother Jim Taggart, Mr. Thompson, Dr Ferris, and other characters of corrupt spineless people as the “looters” representing socialism, destruction, and the degradation of society.

Atlas Shrugged is an explanation of what has been, and always will be at the core of America prosperity, “Freedom and Capitalist”.

I’m not sure if this is a good review but instead of telling parts of the story I went for bases for the story. It was an easy understanding of Ayn Rand’s philosophy but hard to review. I felt it was a great enjoyable book…..”Who is John Galt”?
1 vote Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Yes I like it very much, it's good literature, but I don't agree at all with the caricatural philosophy, wich is very heavy. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
"Despite laborious monologues, the reader will stay with this strange world, borne along by its story and eloquent flow of ideas."
added by GYKM | editNewsweek

"to warn contemporary America against abandoning its factories, neglecting technological progress and abolishing the profit motive seems a little like admonishing water against running uphill."

"inspired" and "monumental" but "(t)o the Christian, everyone is redeemable. But Ayn Rand’s ethical hardness may repel those who most need her message: that charity should be voluntary…. She should not have tried to rewrite the Sermon on the Mount."

Atlas Shrugged represents a watershed in the history of world literature.

"remarkably silly" and "can be called a novel only by devaluing the term" ... "From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: 'To the gas chambers — go!'"

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Frank O'Connor and Nathaniel Branden
To Frank O'Connor
"Who is John Galt?"
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
Pride is the recognition of the fact that you are your own highest value and, like all of man’s values, it has to be earned.
Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it.
Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns—or dollars. Take your choice—there is no other.
It wasn’t real, was it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0452011876, Paperback)

At last, Ayn Rand's masterpiece is available to her millions of loyal readers in trade paperback.

With this acclaimed work and its immortal query, "Who is John Galt?", Ayn Rand found the perfect artistic form to express her vision of existence. Atlas Shrugged made Rand not only one of the most popular novelists of the century, but one of its most influential thinkers.

Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit.

Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

The decisions of a few industrial leaders shake the roots of capitalism and reawaken man's awareness of himself as an heroic being.

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451191145, 0141188936

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,226,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible