Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale by Holly…

Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (edition 2007)

by Holly Black

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2007), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Signed, ReaderCon, ya, owned, fairies, urban fantasy, favorite

Ironside by Holly Black

English (52)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
Better than Tithe, about the same as Valiant. ( )
  ladonna37 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I like the way she ended Kaye and Roiben's stories. I wish she would have finished up, or tied in Val's story. I felt like she kinda left us hanging, and it made Valiant not make sense in the series. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
Gritty and brash. It was great to be following Kaye's story again (I found Valiant to be trying). The book really picks up three quarters the way through. ( )
  LaPhenix | Sep 29, 2013 |
I still like Valiant better, sadly. ( )
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
This drew back together everyone I'd already grown rough and rugged little soft spots for. It's still gritty and dark, and some of the characters never lose their edges, but I loved seeing how it all came together. How the lies and the laughter and the magic and too sharp world all worked itself out.

I was far happier by the end of this book than I ever expected to be. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Rick and Judy, for not sticking a hot poker down my throat or otherwise attempting to trade me back to the faeries.
Despite her casting him down to this place, despite the fresh bruises on his skin and the blood under his nails, Roiben still loved Lady Silarial.

In the realm of Faerie, the time has come for Roiben's coronation. Uneasy in the midst of the malevolent Unseelie Court, pixie Kaye is sure of only one thing -- her love for Roiben. But when Kaye, drunk on faerie wine, declares herself to Roiben, he sends her on a seemingly impossible quest. Now Kaye can't see or speak to Roiben unless she can find the one thing she knows doesn't exist: a faerie who can tell a lie.

Miserable and convinced she belongs nowhere, Kaye decides to tell her mother the truth -- that she is a changeling left in place of the human daughter stolen long ago. Her mother's shock and horror sends Kaye back to the world of Faerie to find her human counterpart and return her to Ironside. But once back in the faerie courts, Kaye finds herself a pawn in the games of Silarial, queen of the Seelie Court. Silarial wants Roiben's throne, and she will use Kaye, and any means necessary, to get it. In this game of wits and weapons, can a pixie outplay a queen?

Holly Black spins a seductive tale at once achingly real and chillingly enchanted, set in a dangerous world where pleasure mingles with pain and nothing is exactly as it appears.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:52 -0400)

As the possessor of Roibin's true name, sixteen-year-old Kaye returns to Faeryland to try and complete a nearly-impossible quest that will release him from the spell of the faery queen who holds him in thrall.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible