Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern…

Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern Faerie Tale) (edition 2008)

by Holly Black

Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern Faerie Tale)
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Simon Pulse (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:***

Ironside by Holly Black

English (53)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
Ironside follows shortly after the events of [b:Tithe|46777|Tithe A Modern Faerie Tale (Book 1)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170343494s/46777.jpg|1460966] and [b:Valiant|266607|Valiant A Modern Tale of Faerie (Book 2)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173279413s/266607.jpg|588218]. Roiben was a loyal knight of the Seelie Queen, even after she sent him to serve her sister, the Queen of the Unseelie Court. After countless years of torment and cruelty, he brought about the Unseelie Queen's death and now presides over her court. At his coronation, he sets an impossible quest for his lover, the pixie Kaye, to keep her safe from the war between the courts. Of course Kaye will have none of this romantic nonsense, and pledges to fulfill his quest. Meanwhile, Kaye's bff Corny is dealing with the rage and self-loathing left behind by his enthrallment and his sister's death.

This book feels so genuine. The characters are each and every one of them fully fleshed out--Corny is particularly real. The fey courts and the human world (aka "Ironside") are described with a precise poetry. Unlike Emma Bull's [b:War for the Oaks|70582|War for the Oaks|Emma Bull|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170736704s/70582.jpg|144029] or say, Poppy Z Brite's [b:Lost Souls|452244|Lost Souls|Poppy Z. Brite|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718N3NF4Q2L._SL75_.gif|440863], the descriptions of the fey and the punked out humans never feel like wish-fulfillment. The entire book is about negotiation, re-negotiating power, trying to come to terms with an untenable situation and new, uncomfortable knowledge about oneself. I loved it! I read the entire book in about an hour. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It’s time for Roiben’s coronation -- but when Kaye tries to swear her undying love to him, he sends her on an impossible quest which banishes her from his presence, seemingly forever. In her quest to find belonging, she finds herself a pawn in the games of the fae. Can a pixie outplay a queen? I bought this series at a used bookstore, and it sat on my to-read shelf for god-only-knows how many years before I finally picked it up and read it. It was good, but YA; book 2 definitely took a weird spin into unrelated territory before turning back; story elements I expected never appeared. It was satisfying, but the books went back into the used bookstore bag without much regret.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Holly Black’s modern faerie trilogy ends perfectly. I loved this book. I loved this series.

Ironside takes us back to the original gang - Kaye, the brash pixie raised as a human girl, Roiben the silver-haired faerie knight (now king of the Unseelie Court) and Corny, a miserable young man, not comfortable in his own skin. It also throws in characters from Valiant - most notably Luis, who comes back in a big way.

In this novel the tensions between Roiben and his once-mistress, Silarial, queen of the Bright Court, rise to a peak with war brewing between the faerie realms, our friends caught in the middle. Everything is dangerous and unsteady. Corny is still wounded by the death of his sister and the way he was treated by the faerie knight Nephamael. Roiben still hates himself and what he has become, and can’t hardly see a way out beyond dying and maybe taking Silarial with him. Meanwhile his sister, Ethine, doesn’t understand why he won’t just come home to the Bright Court and let everything be as it was. Kaye declares her love for Roiben, only to have him send her on an impossible task - knowing that she can’t see him again until she completes it. Everyone is hurting for so many reasons and the danger just keeps compounding against them.

Black’s writing is smooth and beautiful. The villains are vindictive, petty and shrewd, the heroes are brash and tough and reckless, but have such very genuine emotion. The imagery of faerie is beautifully done and the way Block weaves in folklore and myth makes my heart happy.

I am going to hunt out her other series after reading these. I think I have found a new favourite young adult author! ( )
  catfantastic | Mar 29, 2015 |
Better than Tithe, about the same as Valiant. ( )
  ladonna37 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I like the way she ended Kaye and Roiben's stories. I wish she would have finished up, or tied in Val's story. I felt like she kinda left us hanging, and it made Valiant not make sense in the series. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Rick and Judy, for not sticking a hot poker down my throat or otherwise attempting to trade me back to the faeries.
Despite her casting him down to this place, despite the fresh bruises on his skin and the blood under his nails, Roiben still loved Lady Silarial.

In the realm of Faerie, the time has come for Roiben's coronation. Uneasy in the midst of the malevolent Unseelie Court, pixie Kaye is sure of only one thing -- her love for Roiben. But when Kaye, drunk on faerie wine, declares herself to Roiben, he sends her on a seemingly impossible quest. Now Kaye can't see or speak to Roiben unless she can find the one thing she knows doesn't exist: a faerie who can tell a lie.

Miserable and convinced she belongs nowhere, Kaye decides to tell her mother the truth -- that she is a changeling left in place of the human daughter stolen long ago. Her mother's shock and horror sends Kaye back to the world of Faerie to find her human counterpart and return her to Ironside. But once back in the faerie courts, Kaye finds herself a pawn in the games of Silarial, queen of the Seelie Court. Silarial wants Roiben's throne, and she will use Kaye, and any means necessary, to get it. In this game of wits and weapons, can a pixie outplay a queen?

Holly Black spins a seductive tale at once achingly real and chillingly enchanted, set in a dangerous world where pleasure mingles with pain and nothing is exactly as it appears.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

As the possessor of Roibin's true name, sixteen-year-old Kaye returns to Faeryland to try and complete a nearly-impossible quest that will release him from the spell of the faery queen who holds him in thrall.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,529,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible