Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern…

Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern Faerie Tale) (edition 2008)

by Holly Black

2,205522,944 (4.04)74
Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale (Modern Faerie Tale)
Authors:Holly Black
Info:Simon Pulse (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 323 pages
Rating:***

Ironside by Holly Black

English (52)  Spanish (1)  All (53)
Ironside follows shortly after the events of [b:Tithe|46777|Tithe A Modern Faerie Tale (Book 1)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170343494s/46777.jpg|1460966] and [b:Valiant|266607|Valiant A Modern Tale of Faerie (Book 2)|Holly Black|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173279413s/266607.jpg|588218]. Roiben was a loyal knight of the Seelie Queen, even after she sent him to serve her sister, the Queen of the Unseelie Court. After countless years of torment and cruelty, he brought about the Unseelie Queen's death and now presides over her court. At his coronation, he sets an impossible quest for his lover, the pixie Kaye, to keep her safe from the war between the courts. Of course Kaye will have none of this romantic nonsense, and pledges to fulfill his quest. Meanwhile, Kaye's bff Corny is dealing with the rage and self-loathing left behind by his enthrallment and his sister's death.

This book feels so genuine. The characters are each and every one of them fully fleshed out--Corny is particularly real. The fey courts and the human world (aka "Ironside") are described with a precise poetry. Unlike Emma Bull's [b:War for the Oaks|70582|War for the Oaks|Emma Bull|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170736704s/70582.jpg|144029] or say, Poppy Z Brite's [b:Lost Souls|452244|Lost Souls|Poppy Z. Brite|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/718N3NF4Q2L._SL75_.gif|440863], the descriptions of the fey and the punked out humans never feel like wish-fulfillment. The entire book is about negotiation, re-negotiating power, trying to come to terms with an untenable situation and new, uncomfortable knowledge about oneself. I loved it! I read the entire book in about an hour. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It’s time for Roiben’s coronation -- but when Kaye tries to swear her undying love to him, he sends her on an impossible quest which banishes her from his presence, seemingly forever. In her quest to find belonging, she finds herself a pawn in the games of the fae. Can a pixie outplay a queen? I bought this series at a used bookstore, and it sat on my to-read shelf for god-only-knows how many years before I finally picked it up and read it. It was good, but YA; book 2 definitely took a weird spin into unrelated territory before turning back; story elements I expected never appeared. It was satisfying, but the books went back into the used bookstore bag without much regret.
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
Better than Tithe, about the same as Valiant. ( )
  ladonna37 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I like the way she ended Kaye and Roiben's stories. I wish she would have finished up, or tied in Val's story. I felt like she kinda left us hanging, and it made Valiant not make sense in the series. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
Gritty and brash. It was great to be following Kaye's story again (I found Valiant to be trying). The book really picks up three quarters the way through. ( )
  LaPhenix | Sep 29, 2013 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Rick and Judy, for not sticking a hot poker down my throat or otherwise attempting to trade me back to the faeries.
Despite her casting him down to this place, despite the fresh bruises on his skin and the blood under his nails, Roiben still loved Lady Silarial.

In the realm of Faerie, the time has come for Roiben's coronation. Uneasy in the midst of the malevolent Unseelie Court, pixie Kaye is sure of only one thing -- her love for Roiben. But when Kaye, drunk on faerie wine, declares herself to Roiben, he sends her on a seemingly impossible quest. Now Kaye can't see or speak to Roiben unless she can find the one thing she knows doesn't exist: a faerie who can tell a lie.

Miserable and convinced she belongs nowhere, Kaye decides to tell her mother the truth -- that she is a changeling left in place of the human daughter stolen long ago. Her mother's shock and horror sends Kaye back to the world of Faerie to find her human counterpart and return her to Ironside. But once back in the faerie courts, Kaye finds herself a pawn in the games of Silarial, queen of the Seelie Court. Silarial wants Roiben's throne, and she will use Kaye, and any means necessary, to get it. In this game of wits and weapons, can a pixie outplay a queen?

Holly Black spins a seductive tale at once achingly real and chillingly enchanted, set in a dangerous world where pleasure mingles with pain and nothing is exactly as it appears.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:59 -0400)

As the possessor of Roibin's true name, sixteen-year-old Kaye returns to Faeryland to try and complete a nearly-impossible quest that will release him from the spell of the faery queen who holds him in thrall.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,833,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible