QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter…

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (1985)

by Richard P. Feynman

Recently added byCharlesDake, ColonelPanic, dcunning11235, maribou, private library, afrn, Tamatu, ndrose, nosajeel

English (16)  Hungarian (2)  German (2)  All languages (20)
Another great Feynman book. Every time I read something by him, I get re-excited about physics. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Jul 12, 2014 |
I was amazed to see, in all those reviews of this book, that no one pointed out Feynman's play on words. Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

For a more elegant, and lengthy work, I'd recommend Six Easy Pieces, or his beautiful three-volume set of the lectures on physics. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Jan 19, 2014 |
Got a little more of it better this time around ( maybe 30 % ) ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Utterly and completely brilliant. ( )
  wweisser | Jul 6, 2013 |
If you want to be introduced to quantum physics, this is the book to get. Feynmann was absolutely brilliant when it came to explaining complicated phenomena in a simple way. I have read quite a number of books explaining quantum phenomena, but this one is, by far, the best. ( )
  GaryPatella | Jul 30, 2012 |

Richard P. Feynmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leighton, RalphPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mautner, LeonardForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alix Mautner was very curious about physics and often asked me to explain things to her. I would do all right, just as I do with a group of students at Caltech that come to me for an hour on Thursdays, but eventually I’d fail at what is to me the most interesting part: We would always get hung up on the crazy ideas of quantum mechanics. I told her I couldn’t explain these ideas in an hour or an evening—it would take a long time—but I promised her that someday I’d prepare a set of lectures on the subject.

Famous the world over for the creative brilliance of his insights into the physical world, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman also possessed an extraordinary talent for explaining difficult concepts to the nonscientist. QED--the edited version of four lectures on quantum electrodynamics that Feynman gave to the general public at UCLA as part of the Alix G. Mautner Memorial Lecture series--is perhaps the best example of his ability to communicate both the substance and the spirit of science to the layperson.

The focus, as the title suggests, is quantum electrodynamics (QED), the part of the quantum theory of fields that describes the interactions of the quanta of the electromagnetic field-light, X rays, gamma rays--with matter and those of charged particles with one another. By extending the formalism developed by Dirac in 1933, which related quantum and classical descriptions of the motion of particles, Feynman revolutionized the quantum mechanical understanding of the nature of particles and waves. And, by incorporating his own readily visualizable formulation of quantum mechanics, Feynman created a diagrammatic version of QED that made calculations much simpler and also provided visual insights into the mechanisms of quantum electrodynamic processes.

In this book, using everyday language, spatial concepts, visualizations, and his renowned "Feynman diagrams" instead of advanced mathematics, Feynman successfully provides a definitive introduction to QED for a lay readership without any distortion of the basic science. Characterized by Feynman's famously original clarity and humor, this popular book on QED has not been equaled since its publication.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:03 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible