QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter…

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (original 1985; edition 1988)

by Richard P. Feynman (Author)

Member:AngYoder
Title:QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter
Authors:Richard P. Feynman (Author)
Info:Princeton University Press (1988), Edition: New Ed, 176 pages
Tags:currently-reading

QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard P. Feynman (1985)

English (20)  German (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (25)
You could call me a science groupie. I put on Cosmos while I clean the house, snatch up Michio Kaku's books like they won't be there tomorrow, know all the words to every Symphony of Science song ever, and follow Neil deGrasse Tyson on Twitter--but that doesn't mean I know the first thing about real science. I couldn't solve a linear algebraic equation even if the world depended on it (sorry, world). Instead, I revere famous physicists from afar while most women my age drool over movie stars like What's-His-Face. You know the one. That really hott one.

Anyway. Richard Feynman is definitely in the top five on my list of favorite physicists. (Yep, I have a list. Expect nothing less from a girl who named her cat Sagan.) I love Feynman's sense of humor and his whimsical world-view. He may be gone, but he's not forgotten. So when I had a stupid question about light, I figured it was high time I read his book on the subject. My stupid question goes like this: Why is it that, when you turn off a light, the room immediately goes dark? Where does the light go? Why doesn't it bounce around the room for a bit before dispersing? If light is everywhere, why is the universe so dark?

Well, this book didn't really help me answer those questions. If Feynman taught me anything here, it's that light is the honey badger of particles: it does what it wants, and leaves tiny arrows in its wake. Or something. I'm not sure.
  aquaorbis | Nov 1, 2017 |
Got a little more of it better this time around ( maybe 30 % ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
Amazing book. I read it a long time ago, and it's around the house someplace. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
Another great Feynman book. Every time I read something by him, I get re-excited about physics. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
great book, but a bit disconcerting not to have any answer at all to "why", just a description of "how" at the very basic level. ( )
  manishch | Aug 2, 2016 |

Richard P. Feynmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leighton, RalphPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mautner, LeonardForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zee, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alix Mautner was very curious about physics and often asked me to explain things to her. I would do all right, just as I do with a group of students at Caltech that come to me for an hour on Thursdays, but eventually I’d fail at what is to me the most interesting part: We would always get hung up on the crazy ideas of quantum mechanics. I told her I couldn’t explain these ideas in an hour or an evening—it would take a long time—but I promised her that someday I’d prepare a set of lectures on the subject.
In questo libro, con stupefacente chiarezza, un grande fisico ci spiega come tutto ciò che percepiamo dipenda da accadimenti naturali che violano ogni aspettativa del senso comune. La via scelta è la seguente: guidare, come in un vero tour de force, ogni testa pensante negli impensabili meandri dell'elettrodinamica quantistica (abbreviata nella sigla QED del titolo). E - ciò che più conta per il lettore non specialista - Feynman procede mantenendo sempre la spiegazione in stretto contatto con l'esame di varie esperienze fisiche, così da farci entrare, in certo modo, nella mente dello scienziato che le osserva (e, per certi fenomeni, la prima mente che osservava fu proprio la sua).
(piopas)

Famous the world over for the creative brilliance of his insights into the physical world, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman also possessed an extraordinary talent for explaining difficult concepts to the nonscientist. QED--the edited version of four lectures on quantum electrodynamics that Feynman gave to the general public at UCLA as part of the Alix G. Mautner Memorial Lecture series--is perhaps the best example of his ability to communicate both the substance and the spirit of science to the layperson.

The focus, as the title suggests, is quantum electrodynamics (QED), the part of the quantum theory of fields that describes the interactions of the quanta of the electromagnetic field-light, X rays, gamma rays--with matter and those of charged particles with one another. By extending the formalism developed by Dirac in 1933, which related quantum and classical descriptions of the motion of particles, Feynman revolutionized the quantum mechanical understanding of the nature of particles and waves. And, by incorporating his own readily visualizable formulation of quantum mechanics, Feynman created a diagrammatic version of QED that made calculations much simpler and also provided visual insights into the mechanisms of quantum electrodynamic processes.

In this book, using everyday language, spatial concepts, visualizations, and his renowned "Feynman diagrams" instead of advanced mathematics, Feynman successfully provides a definitive introduction to QED for a lay readership without any distortion of the basic science. Characterized by Feynman's famously original clarity and humor, this popular book on QED has not been equaled since its publication.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:42 -0400)

Whether big or small, feathered or furry, mums always know how to make us feel special!

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible