Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The…

Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge (original 2005; edition 2005)

by John Flanagan

Member:Oo-ob
Title:Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Puffin Books (2005), Paperback

The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan (Author) (2005)

English (65)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
READ IN DUTCH

This is the second book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and takes place some months after The Ruins of Gorlan.

I enjoyed this book, the start is a bit slower than in the first book, but after they meet Evanlyn, the story really starts. Again there's a fight against big bad evil Morgarath and his Wargals to save Araluen You would say this is thrilling enough, but at the end there is just this enormous cliffhanger! Really, I think this is one of the biggest cliffhangers I've ever seen. It makes you just have to start reading the third book immediately, because you'll have to know how the story continues! (Smart move of John Flanagan, even though I don't like massive cliffhangers between books). I really liked to see Gilan in this book. He's my favourite character so far! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This book was my favorite in the series. The plot is exciting and you never know what is going to happen to the protagonist, Will. While he is still only an apprentice, he can hold his own against the toughest of foes. However, despite his skills, Will is still in danger in this thrilling tale. The plot is dark and there is no way to predict each and every turn it takes. New characters are introduced and join the group, creating a more dynamic force than the first book. On the other side, new enemies also join the fray. The humor in this book is some of the best in the entire series, and the advice that Will's teachers give to him is well worth taking into one's own life. Because of Gillan, I now know that if I am ever facing an axman while on a cliff, and my bowstring breaks and I only have a dagger, then I should simply jump off the cliff to avoid the mess of being chopped to pieces by an ax. Without this book, I would have no idea how to handle a situation like that. ( )
  DrPedro | Mar 28, 2016 |
A solid follow up to the start of a great series. Really looking forward to what will happen in the future for these characters. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I have been waiting years to read this one because the first one in the series was part of a program I did with the kids and I didn't want to get confused.

War with Morgrath is fast approaching but the Araluens think they have a leg up on him because they believe they have gotten ahold of his battle plans. Will, Horace and Gilan go on a trip to try and get help from their Celtian neighbors, however when they arrive they find that all is not as it should be and Will and Horace find that they must take matters into their own hands and try to save the kingdom.

I liked seeing how much Will has changed Halt and how each of the other characters has matured and grown. I definitely figured out that Evalyn isn't who she says she is but I was not expecting her to be as important as she was. While Will and Horace's individual plans and battles are interesting to me because I care about them as characters and feel a bit of a stake in what happens to them, I cannot bring myself to care about Araluen Battle plans as a whole. That being said I feel like the right kind of boy would love that, so that's part of what makes it a great guy read. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Flanagan, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corneille, LaurentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The international bestselling series with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

For years, the Kingdom of Araluen has prospered, with the evil lord Morgarath safely behind the impassable mountains. For years, its people have felt secure. but the scheming hand of the dark lord has not been idle. . . . on a special mission for the rangers, will and his friend Horace, an apprentice knight, travel to a neighboring village and discover the unsettling truth: All the villagers have either been slain or captured. but why? Could it be that Morgarath has finally devised a plan to bring his legions over the supposedly insurmountable pass? if so, the king?s army is in imminent danger of being crushed in a fierce ambush. And will and Horace are the only ones who can save them.

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Will is forced to overcome his fear of Wargals, the foot soldiers of rebel warlord Morgarath, as Araluen's army prepares to battle Morgarath's forces.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible