Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The…

Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge (original 2005; edition 2005)

by John Flanagan

Member:Oo-ob
Title:Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Puffin Books (2005), Paperback

The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan (2005)

Recently added bydmaness, Duckster65, RachelKane, shaunesay, private library, marag, Rena37, alieberman

English (68)  Dutch (1)  All (69)
The second in a series of fast-paced adventure during the time of lords, barons, and superstitions.
The evil is presented well, with the oppression and darkness but not the gore and grime so many will include. Swearing was scattered throughout, but as I read it aloud to my boys, I could skip over it.

Even though the author left us hanging, making us want the next book, (normally I would refuse to find the next book for that very reason), my boys were adamant about getting it.

The author portrays the characters well. Gives a strong sense of knowing them, even though the pov changes within scenes and there seems a lot of reading another's mind.

My boys and I await the next in the series. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
I’m beginning to realize that nothing this series has to offer can possibly beat the amazingly heartwarming debut novel, The Ruins of Gorlan. It’s no fault of Flanagan. The best part of the story he had to tell just happened to be the beginning—when Will first gets picked to be a ranger. That first book made me smile from ear to ear. It had a unique “pleasantness” about it that drew me in. The main characters were nice, understanding, and possessed of good humor. The story of Will’s twisted journey to becoming a ranger’s apprentice, and the beginning of his training, is pure happiness and glee. That, more than anything else, is what made me love the first book.

This second book in the series is taking a sharp turn away from that, especially with the ending that leads into the third book. Things aren’t so nice and pleasant anymore, and while I will continue to read this series for its depiction of ranger tactics, heroism, and Halt’s bad-assery, I’m going to miss the pleasantness of the first book. I find myself wishing that Flanagan could have staved off Morgarath and all this kingdom-threatening stuff for another book, to let Will grow at a slower pace, with a smaller adventure. Oh well.
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
I remember loving this series when I was younger, and I'm really happy that I can still enjoy it now. Really likable characters and lots of action, along with a bit of innocent romance and tragic cliffhangers. It's a lot of fun and an easy read, so I highly recommend it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 28, 2017 |
READ IN DUTCH

This is the second book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and takes place some months after The Ruins of Gorlan.

I enjoyed this book, the start is a bit slower than in the first book, but after they meet Evanlyn, the story really starts. Again there's a fight against big bad evil Morgarath and his Wargals to save Araluen You would say this is thrilling enough, but at the end there is just this enormous cliffhanger! Really, I think this is one of the biggest cliffhangers I've ever seen. It makes you just have to start reading the third book immediately, because you'll have to know how the story continues! (Smart move of John Flanagan, even though I don't like massive cliffhangers between books). I really liked to see Gilan in this book. He's my favourite character so far! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This book was my favorite in the series. The plot is exciting and you never know what is going to happen to the protagonist, Will. While he is still only an apprentice, he can hold his own against the toughest of foes. However, despite his skills, Will is still in danger in this thrilling tale. The plot is dark and there is no way to predict each and every turn it takes. New characters are introduced and join the group, creating a more dynamic force than the first book. On the other side, new enemies also join the fray. The humor in this book is some of the best in the entire series, and the advice that Will's teachers give to him is well worth taking into one's own life. Because of Gillan, I now know that if I am ever facing an axman while on a cliff, and my bowstring breaks and I only have a dagger, then I should simply jump off the cliff to avoid the mess of being chopped to pieces by an ax. Without this book, I would have no idea how to handle a situation like that. ( )
  DrPedro | Mar 28, 2016 |

Flanagan, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corneille, LaurentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The international bestselling series with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

For years, the Kingdom of Araluen has prospered, with the evil lord Morgarath safely behind the impassable mountains. For years, its people have felt secure. but the scheming hand of the dark lord has not been idle. . . . on a special mission for the rangers, will and his friend Horace, an apprentice knight, travel to a neighboring village and discover the unsettling truth: All the villagers have either been slain or captured. but why? Could it be that Morgarath has finally devised a plan to bring his legions over the supposedly insurmountable pass? if so, the king?s army is in imminent danger of being crushed in a fierce ambush. And will and Horace are the only ones who can save them.

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Will is forced to overcome his fear of Wargals, the foot soldiers of rebel warlord Morgarath, as Araluen's army prepares to battle Morgarath's forces.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible