Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The…

Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge (original 2005; edition 2005)

by John Flanagan

Title:Ranger's Apprentice : Book Two : The Burning Bridge
Authors:John Flanagan
Info:Puffin Books (2005), Paperback

The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan (Author) (2005)

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
"This book strongly reminds me of winter and all the good things it used to bring some years ago when I read it: peace, cocoa, pine nuts and blankets. This is the second book in this series and I enjoyed it just as much as the first one, which was great given that series tend to go down the hill more often than not. The strong messages about friendship that were so well developed previously were carried into this book as well.

I really enjoyed getting more insight into the Rangers' world, their rites and general lifestyle. Gilian was a welcome addition to the main group and it was entertaining watching him guide and sometimes teach the younger characters. The author lets Halt out of the main story line on this book, which was somewhat disappointing for me, since I like him so much, but oh well.

This story is once more following the adventures of Will and Horace who, despite having developed and matured considerably, are still innocent and thus unaware of some dangers that the world may bear. The most dangerous enemy out there is Morgarath and his army, which have for years tried to find a way into the Kingdom of Araluen, being kept at bay by the protection of the mountains. Eventually, though, rangers have to check the villages near the boarders of said mountains to check is everything is all right.

So Will and Horace are asked to join a seasoned ranger and visit a neighboring village. When they arrive they discover that the villagers are no where to be found. In their quest to find out what has happened, they find a girl who is able to tell them the towns’ fate. Together they must investigate and, ultimately, try to save their kingdom, but doing so may require sacrifices.

This book was full of thrilling action and suspense, but there's also a lot of fun and maybe nostalgia. Constant conflicts and tense situations kept me turning the pages like crazy. My only complaint would be that I didn't get to see that much of Halt and Will doing stuff together.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Sarcasm isn't the lowest form of wit. It isn't even wit at all.
One man may be deceit. Two can be conspiracy. Three is the number I trust.

The Last Passage
As the ship began to gather way, Will stared at the mounted figure in the surf, buffeted by the waves. Halt was so near and yet now so impossibly out of reach. His eyes stung with tears and, faintly, he heard Halt’s voice.
“Will! Stay alive! Don’t give up! I’ll find you wherever they take you!”
Choking on tears, the boy raised his arm in farewell to his friend and mentor.
“Halt!” he croaked, but he knew the Ranger would never hear him. He heard the voice again, carrying over the sounds of wind and sea.
“I’ll find you, Will!”
Then the wind filled the big, square sail of the wolfship and she heeled away from the shore, moving faster and faster toward the northeast.
For a long time after she’d dropped below the horizon, the sodden figure sat there, his horse chest-deep in the rolling waves, staring after the ship.
And his lips still moved, in a silent promise only he could hear.

" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and takes place some months after The Ruins of Gorlan.

I enjoyed this book, the start is a bit slower than in the first book, but after they meet Evanlyn, the story really starts. Again there's a fight against big bad evil Morgarath and his Wargals to save Araluen You would say this is thrilling enough, but at the end there is just this enormous cliffhanger! Really, I think this is one of the biggest cliffhangers I've ever seen. It makes you just have to start reading the third book immediately, because you'll have to know how the story continues! (Smart move of John Flanagan, even though I don't like massive cliffhangers between books). I really liked to see Gilan in this book. He's my favourite character so far! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
this is quickly becoming addicting. Love Horace, a true hero.

this is a series for all. ( )
  ritapt | Nov 13, 2014 |
The series continues! This one ends on a cliffhanger, can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  LoftyIslanders | Apr 5, 2014 |
Great characters, Full of adventure, well written
  Breony | Mar 27, 2014 |

Flanagan, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Corneille, LaurentTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The international bestselling series with over 5 million copies sold in the U.S. alone!

For years, the Kingdom of Araluen has prospered, with the evil lord Morgarath safely behind the impassable mountains. For years, its people have felt secure. but the scheming hand of the dark lord has not been idle. . . . on a special mission for the rangers, will and his friend Horace, an apprentice knight, travel to a neighboring village and discover the unsettling truth: All the villagers have either been slain or captured. but why? Could it be that Morgarath has finally devised a plan to bring his legions over the supposedly insurmountable pass? if so, the king?s army is in imminent danger of being crushed in a fierce ambush. And will and Horace are the only ones who can save them.

Perfect for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, T.H. White’s The Sword in the Stone, Christopher Paolini’s Eragon series, and George R. R. Martin’s Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

Will is forced to overcome his fear of Wargals, the foot soldiers of rebel warlord Morgarath, as Araluen's army prepares to battle Morgarath's forces.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,669,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible