Plum Island (John Corey) by Nelson DeMille

Plum Island (John Corey) (original 1987; edition 1998)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:delucalibrary
Title:Plum Island (John Corey)
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Time Warner Paperbacks (1998), Paperback, 592 pages

Plum Island by Nelson DeMille (1987)

English (48)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (49)
This book has a solid mystery, and a great twist. The main character is sarcastic but smart, and overall gave me some good laughs, but I could see why some other readers wouldn't enjoy him as much as I did. The setting was enjoyable as a Long Islander myself, and the mystery was intriguing all the way through for me. ( )
  dbaltrus20 | Nov 8, 2018 |
As other reviewers have stated, this book is short on action and long on inner dialogue. It is repititious and slow. The entire middle section is the main character ruminating endlessley. I read parts of it and listened to parts and it doesn't translate well in audio. The main character's inner dialogue that makes jokes is read with the same inflection as the rest of it and the jokes fall flat. I wish I had gotten it from the library instead of paying for it. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
The blurb makes it sound like the story revolves around a biological research facility and a stolen germ, whilst the facility is involved to a degree it's not in the manner the blurb makes out, which is a bit disappointing as I was looking forward to a viral/biological hazard based novel.

It's a pretty decent detective story although I personally found the main characters tail chasing and general almost perverted manner distracting from the story however he does have quite a good sarcastic wit which helped balance it out, a little.

Whilst it does drag a little initially once it gets going it's pretty good and things certainly ramp up towards the end. I'm uncertain whether to continue with the series or not, we'll see. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Sep 16, 2017 |
From Gray 08-23-2016 Read 09-10-2016
  trexm5qp7 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I was hoping that both of the main characters (especially the narrator) would drown so the book would end sooner. ( )
1 vote bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. -Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac (1735)
To Larry Kirshbaum, friend, editor, and gambling partner.
Through my binoculars, I could see this nice forty-something-foot cabin cruiser anchored a few hundred yards offshore.

Wounded in the line of duty, NYPD homicide detective John Corey convalesces in the Long Island township of Southold, home to farmers, fishermen -- and at least one killer. Tom and Judy Gordon, a young, attractive couple Corey knows, have been found on their patio, each with a bullet in the head. The local police chief, Sylvester Maxwell, wants Corey's big-city expertise, but Maxwell gets more than he bargained for.

The early signs point to a burglary gone wrong. But because the Gordons were biologists at Plum Island, the offshore animal disease research site rumored to be involved in germ warfare, it isn't long before the media is suggesting that the Gordons stole something very deadly. Suddenly a local double murder becomes a crime with national and worldwide implications.

John Corey doesn't like mysteries, which is why he likes to solve them. His investigations lead him into the lore, legends, and ancient secrets of northern Long Island -- more deadly and more dangerous than he could ever have imagined. During his journey of discovery, he meets two remarkable women, Detective Beth Penrose and Mayflower descendant Emma Whitestone, both of whom change his life irrevocably. Ultimately, through his understanding of the murders, John Corey comes to understand himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605409, Mass Market Paperback)

Nelson DeMille's narrative engine is one of the best in the business, and it chugs away in grand style in this story of buried treasure and biological warfare on a tiny spit of land off Long Island. As told by a wry, wounded New York City detective who is drafted to explore a couple of murders, Plum Island is a rich pudding of flavorful (if familiar) ingredients, including a ferocious storm at sea. Other DeMille epics in paperback include By the Rivers of Babylon, The General's Daughter, The Gold Coast, Spencerville, and Word of Honor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

New York detective John Corey, recovering from bullet wounds on an island, narrates his investigation into the murder of two scientists researching biological warfare. The two, a man and his wife, also appear to have been involved in a search for a pirate treasure. By the author of The Gold Coast.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible