Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears (1995)

by Ellen Datlow (Editor), Terri Windling (Editor)

Other authors: Anne Bishop (Contributor), John Brunner (Contributor), Milbre Burch (Contributor), Michael Cadnum (Contributor), Nancy A. Collins (Contributor)16 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Lisa Goldstein (Contributor), Garry Kilworth (Contributor), Kathe Koja (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Roberta Lannes (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Susan Palwick (Contributor), Farida S. T. Shapiro (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Ellen Steiber (Contributor), Susan Wade (Contributor), Gahan Wilson (Contributor), Gene Wolfe (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

Series: The Snow White, Blood Red Series (3)

Fairy tales reimagined--in stories by "a distinguished company of writers" including Neil Gaiman, Joyce Carol Oates, and Tanith Lee (Kirkus Reviews). For many of us, the fairy tale was our first exposure to the written word and the power of storytelling. These wondrous works of magic and morality enthralled us, enchanted us, sometimes terrified us, and remain in our hearts and memories still. Once again, World Fantasy Award-winning editors Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling have compiled an extraordinary collection of reimagined tales conceived by some of today's most acclaimed contemporary purveyors of literary fantasy, science fiction, and horror, including Neil Gaiman, Gahan Wilson, Joyce Carol Oates, Tanith Lee, Nancy Kress, Gene Wolfe, and others. Remarkable things lurk in these dark and magical woods. Here Beauty confronts a serial-killer Beast, Hansel and Gretel's witch resides not in a gingerbread house but in a luxurious resort, and Rumpelstiltskin is truly the devil demanding his due, rightfully or otherwise. The hilarious "Roach in Loafers" ingeniously combines the classic "Elves and the Shoemaker" tale with "Puss in Boots" and adds an insectile twist, while in a modern fable that blends The Wizard of Oz and Hans Christian Andersen, Dorothy is set adrift in Hollywoodland, ruby slippers and all. These are not the fairy stories you remember from childhood.… (more)

Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears is another volume of retold fairy tales. As with all short story anthologies, there were standouts and not-so-great entries, but overall this volume was great. I particularly loved the stories that were referencing stories I wasn't already familiar with, such as "The Fox Wife," which draws on Japanese lore about the kitsune, a fox demon; or "The Printer's Daughter," in which a printer's desire for a competent apprentice gives life to a girl made of discarded newsprint and books who can only speak in the content printed on them, which varies from bawdy to high oratory; and "Roach in Loafers," about a smooth-talking magical cockroach who makes dreams come true. I enjoyed the kitsune story so much it prompted me to look for more kitsune tales. ( )
1 vote fannyprice | Apr 3, 2018 |
Darker revamped versions of classic folk & fairy tales. My top picks from the volume are “The Beast” (Lee) & “Match Girl” (Bishop) ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
Most of the stories were poorly written, one was ghastly. The stories themselves are amusing and thankfully short. I picked this edition because it includes a story from Joyce Carol Oates but I'm thinking maybe I should have tried one of the first two editions. This was nothing that will be remembered and if anything, most of the Authors in this collection I will be avoiding in the future. I think the best writing were from the known Authors I love, Joyce Carol Oates and Neil Gaiman. I like to read short stories to find other Authors that I can break into, this was not the case here. Very disappointed. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
A collection of short stories, all with the theme of reimagined fairytales, some familiar and some more obscure. Each author chose his or her own tale to expand upon, so there are some stories which are interpreted by more than one writer. As often happens with such anthologies, there were some stories I enjoyed greatly and others that I didn't care to finish. But I think almost anyone would find several tales to enjoy in this book. There is also a fine bibliography for further reading. Recommended. ( I read this on my Kindle.) ( )
  auntieknickers | May 17, 2013 |
The third in a really lovely anthology series of contemporary takes on fairy tales (all collected by editrixes extraordinaire Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow), this volume features several standouts: Ellen Stieber's "The Fox Wife" deftly blends the folkloric element of fox-spirit possession with the very human story of a woman in 18th-Century Japan who struggles against the bonds of tradition and matrimony; Delia Sherman's "The Printer's Daughter" is a thoroughly charming and quite moving retelling of "The Snow Child" in which the girl in question arises from discarded newsprint, her speech limited to its sometimes bawdy, sometimes evangelical content; Joyce Carol Oates's "The Crossing" is a totally fresh and modern take on Sleeping Beauty, in which the narrative reveals itself to the reader in gradual, utterly compelling fashion; and Neil Gaiman's haunting poem "The White Road" makes an appearance here, as well. The only true low point in this collection is a garish poem that takes on Snow White by way of Polly Klass, Milbre Birch's "The Huntsman's Story," an effort (and it reads like one; the reader can practically hear the poem clanking and clunking along like an old jalopy) in decidedly poor taste which manages to be both overwrought and devoid of any true feeling. ( )
  Fainting_Project | Sep 28, 2010 |

Wolfe, GeneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,817,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible