The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters (1942)

by C. S. Lewis

English (50)  French (1)  All languages (51)
I'm giving this one star, not because the writing was awful, but because it left me with a bad aftertaste when I was done. I never thought I'd see a book that took guts to pick up, but now I can say that I have. I wouldn't read this book again for the world- it was simply awful, reading everything I believed back-to-front and mixed up sideways. Rather disgusting, but oddly fascinating at the same time. All the same, I wouldn't like to reread it anytime soon. I can see what C. S. Lewis meant when he said this book was hard to write. ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
235 Lew
Acc # 745
Book
Cost $
Acquired ?
  ToongabbieBaptistLib | Jan 17, 2016 |
Lewis does make the occasional remarks I don't agree with (for example, certain tendencies toward universalism and the concept of "Limbo"/purgatory), but overall--I mean, I was reading this intermittently, for the most part, while watching the rare TV show I'm enjoying at the moment, and God still cut me to the heart and brought tears to my eyes at various deep truths from this book. It's solid. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Uncle Screwtape, high ruler of Hell and follower of his Father, the Devil, writes to his nephew as he begins to attack a soul and convert him away from Christianity. Fortunately, through the letters, we see the individual being attacked makes it into God's (The Enemy in this novel) hands.

This book was a bit tricky for me. Being a Christian I appreciated how each chapter focused on one aspect of a being's unfortunate personality traits. Though confusing at times I appreciated the theme and seeing C. S. Lewis's wit and genius in this piece. ( )
  missbrandysue | Feb 23, 2014 |
"If people knew how much ill-feeling unselfishness occasions, it would not be so often recommended from the pulpit"

In these wickedly engaging letters, Screwtape, apparatchik in the Lowerarchy of Hell, tutors his young nephew, Wormwood, in his first evil mission – to secure a young man’s damnation. Darkly comic yet deadly serious, The Screwtape Letters depicts a morally reversed world in which Screwtape presses his protégé to ever more ingenious means of temptation.

Despite his nephew’s exasperating slowness, Screwtape has high hopes for his mission. As he gleefully tells us, ‘the safest road to Hell is the gradual one – the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts’. But success is by no means certain, as their Enemy above has servants too... C. S. Lewis was one of the most distinguished of modern Christian thinkers, and The Screwtape Letters has become one of his best-loved works. Both entertaining and deeply intriguing, it will provide fascinating food for thought for readers of all convictions.
‘If wit and wisdom, style and scholarship are requisites to passage through the pearly gates, Mr Lewis will be among the angels’
NEW YORKER
1 vote Balnaves | Sep 17, 2013 |
"The devil," said Thomas More, "cannot endure to be mocked," and which, if correct, means that somewhere in the inferno there must be considerable annoyance.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, P. W. Wilson (pay site) (Mar 28, 1943)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackland, JossNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papas, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuulio, TyyniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
--Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
--Thomas More
To J. R. R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that includes Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020868707, Mass Market Paperback)

C. S. Lewis was one of the greatest Christian Writers of our age. His "Screwtape Letters" still stirs considerable controversy. He wrote from the perspective of a devil giving advice to another devil in how to tempt a Christian. In doing so, he reveals to us how we let evil into our own lives. Lewis's work has influenced three generations of Christian thinkers and will continue to be a seminal Christian work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

A series of congenial letters from Screwtape, an elderly devil, advising his nephew Wormwood, an apprentice devil, how to corrupt his earthly "patient."

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible