The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters (1942)

by C. S. Lewis

English (53)  French (1)  All (54)
Purported as satire...the joke's on Lewis (although I did laugh a few times). I wonder if Lewis felt the weak link at the Inklings gathering. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
How a Senior Devil Instructs a Junior Devil in the Art of Temptation

I really enjoyed this book on how simple things can be twisted to draw us away from God. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
Wormwood is the teacher/advisor/overlord of Screwtape. He sets out to advise Screwtape of the best way to tempt and coerce a human out of the path of living for Christ. A lovely, funny, backwards way to be inspired to look within yourself and examine your thoughts and habits to find what is behind them. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 7, 2016 |
David Thorn
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is a series of letters from a fairly major demon to his nephew, advising him on how to corrupt a mortal and prepare them for Hell. This particular version of Hell being a very 1940s Church of England version. I imagine not a lot changes in versions between the decades but perhaps it does between different interpretations of Christianity. I'm the wrong person to ask.

The letters reveal a good deal about Lewis's ideas about theology and he covers sex, love, pride, gluttony and war, among a few other things. The latter half of the letters take place during the Second World War and here the importance of cowardice and courage are discussed in detail. The book is very much a guide from Lewis, to Christians, on what not to do if they would like to go to Heaven.

It's engaging and thought provoking and I can see it making good material for a radio drama or a short series of podcasts. However, I think my background in the teachings of the Church of England is a bit too slim for me to have picked up on a lot of the messages there. No doubt they would be even more interesting to someone who had spent a little time with the church. ( )
  BeckyDouglas | Mar 14, 2016 |
"The devil," said Thomas More, "cannot endure to be mocked," and which, if correct, means that somewhere in the inferno there must be considerable annoyance.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, P. W. Wilson (pay site) (Mar 28, 1943)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackland, JossNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papas, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuulio, TyyniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
—Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
—Thomas More
To J. R. R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that includes Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020868707, Mass Market Paperback)

C. S. Lewis was one of the greatest Christian Writers of our age. His "Screwtape Letters" still stirs considerable controversy. He wrote from the perspective of a devil giving advice to another devil in how to tempt a Christian. In doing so, he reveals to us how we let evil into our own lives. Lewis's work has influenced three generations of Christian thinkers and will continue to be a seminal Christian work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

A series of congenial letters from Screwtape, an elderly devil, advising his nephew Wormwood, an apprentice devil, how to corrupt his earthly "patient."

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,424,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible