The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters (1942)

by C. S. Lewis

English (57)  French (1)  All (58)
Altro che trattati su peccati e tentazioni!In un modo ironicamente alternativo,Lewis ci parla di come funzioniamo noi esseri umani,di quello che cerca di tenerci lontani dall'Amore.Stupendo! ( )
  AlessandraEtFabio | Dec 22, 2017 |
I read this because it came with a box of other books at a garage sale or something and after a couple years of it sitting on my shelf, I was in the mood for a quick read and figured that I'd give it a try. I made it through about 2/3 of the way through and just had to stop and move on to something else. I just didn't like it. There was a few things in it that could be considered a little humorous, but generally I found my eyes glazing over way too often. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
Reading for a book club ( )
  kaylynvh | Jun 20, 2017 |
Purported as satire...the joke's on Lewis (although I did laugh a few times). I wonder if Lewis felt the weak link at the Inklings gathering. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
"The devil," said Thomas More, "cannot endure to be mocked," and which, if correct, means that somewhere in the inferno there must be considerable annoyance.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, P. W. Wilson (pay site) (Mar 28, 1943)

Lewis, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackland, JossNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papas, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuulio, TyyniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
—Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
—Thomas More
To J. R. R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that includes Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020868707, Mass Market Paperback)

C. S. Lewis was one of the greatest Christian Writers of our age. His "Screwtape Letters" still stirs considerable controversy. He wrote from the perspective of a devil giving advice to another devil in how to tempt a Christian. In doing so, he reveals to us how we let evil into our own lives. Lewis's work has influenced three generations of Christian thinkers and will continue to be a seminal Christian work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

Tempter Wormwood is given advice by his devilish uncle on how to tempt a human soul to Hell.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,550,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible