The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters (1942)

by C. S. Lewis

Recently added byLTAvL, PoetVictoria, svd2srv, freeburgher, private library, m_franke, mtbearded1, TPCTucson
Legacy LibrariesEvelyn Waugh

English (47)  French (1)  All languages (48)
Uncle Screwtape, high ruler of Hell and follower of his Father, the Devil, writes to his nephew as he begins to attack a soul and convert him away from Christianity. Fortunately, through the letters, we see the individual being attacked makes it into God's (The Enemy in this novel) hands.

This book was a bit tricky for me. Being a Christian I appreciated how each chapter focused on one aspect of a being's unfortunate personality traits. Though confusing at times I appreciated the theme and seeing C. S. Lewis's wit and genius in this piece. ( )
  missbrandysue | Feb 23, 2014 |
"If people knew how much ill-feeling unselfishness occasions, it would not be so often recommended from the pulpit"

In these wickedly engaging letters, Screwtape, apparatchik in the Lowerarchy of Hell, tutors his young nephew, Wormwood, in his first evil mission – to secure a young man’s damnation. Darkly comic yet deadly serious, The Screwtape Letters depicts a morally reversed world in which Screwtape presses his protégé to ever more ingenious means of temptation.

Despite his nephew’s exasperating slowness, Screwtape has high hopes for his mission. As he gleefully tells us, ‘the safest road to Hell is the gradual one – the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts’. But success is by no means certain, as their Enemy above has servants too... C. S. Lewis was one of the most distinguished of modern Christian thinkers, and The Screwtape Letters has become one of his best-loved works. Both entertaining and deeply intriguing, it will provide fascinating food for thought for readers of all convictions.
‘If wit and wisdom, style and scholarship are requisites to passage through the pearly gates, Mr Lewis will be among the angels’
NEW YORKER
1 vote Balnaves | Sep 17, 2013 |
I thought this was a lot of fun.

You may not agree with his conclusions, but I think Lewis does demonstrate a remarkable handle on human psychology (though he is talking of 'man'kind), and it's fun to read about regardless. If you can read it like that without agreeing with him, you might enjoy it too. Again, mostly fun in terms of the criticisms. What can I say, I'm a cynic.

And I heart ♥. :) ( )
  MarieAlt | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was introduced to this famous book by an experienced man of letters, whom I will decline to name here without his permission. He said that it was one of the few overtly Christian works which he (a non-observant Jew) considered to be plausible, even persuasive, in its argument. This man was, for what it's worth, also the man who introduced me to the delights of Edward Gorey and Stendhal. Anyway, at the time, the praise of Lewis seemed most impressive, particularly as I was at the time exsperiencing the first stirrings of serious religious curiosity. With all due respect to my informant, the bloom was off long before I finished the book, and subsequent efforts to discover the wonder of it have merely left me wondering what all the flap is about. There doubtless are people who seriously believe that they have been brought closer to God by this book, but they are -- to borrow a phrase from a much superior writer, WC Brann -- the sort of person who could acquire a case of delirium tremens from the froth in a pop-bottle. ( )
  HarryMacDonald | Mar 3, 2013 |
There are some good points in this book, but the letters format seems rather strained and contrived. And it's a rather of its time with lots of references to the second world war, which was at its height when this book was written.

There are some timeless truths in this book, but I think I would have got more out of it if it had been presented in a different format, and with less focus on the 1940s. ( )
  Pondlife | Nov 10, 2012 |
"The devil," said Thomas More, "cannot endure to be mocked," and which, if correct, means that somewhere in the inferno there must be considerable annoyance.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, P. W. Wilson (pay site) (Mar 28, 1943)

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackland, JossNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papas, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuulio, TyyniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
--Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
--Thomas More
To J. R. R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that includes Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020868707, Mass Market Paperback)

C. S. Lewis was one of the greatest Christian Writers of our age. His "Screwtape Letters" still stirs considerable controversy. He wrote from the perspective of a devil giving advice to another devil in how to tempt a Christian. In doing so, he reveals to us how we let evil into our own lives. Lewis's work has influenced three generations of Christian thinkers and will continue to be a seminal Christian work.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:19 -0400)

A series of congenial letters from Screwtape, an elderly devil, advising his nephew Wormwood, an apprentice devil, how to corrupt his earthly "patient."

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible