The Screwtape letters by C. S Lewis

The Screwtape letters (original 1942; edition 1945)

by C. S Lewis

Member:tomdoyle
Title:The Screwtape letters
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Publisher Unknown (1945), Unknown Binding

The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis (Author) (1942)

English (57)  French (1)  All languages (58)
Regularly hailed as a classic of satire, The Screwtape Letters was not what I expected but none the worse for that. Ostensibly the letters are cynical and devious instructions from one devil to a subordinate, and it is from this conceit that the book derives much of its entertainment value. Edification, rather than entertainment, however, is the purpose of the book. Lewis's genius is in presenting what is essentially a series of homilies in reverse: advice on how to lure a soul to perdition. The epistolary format divides the book into manageable chunks that avoid overwhelming the reader. One great bonus in this edition is the addition of the short piece 'Screwtape Proposes a Toast', which is almost as beneficial as the entire original book. ( )
  Lirmac | Nov 8, 2018 |
Altro che trattati su peccati e tentazioni!In un modo ironicamente alternativo,Lewis ci parla di come funzioniamo noi esseri umani,di quello che cerca di tenerci lontani dall'Amore.Stupendo! ( )
  AlessandraEtFabio | Dec 22, 2017 |
I read this because it came with a box of other books at a garage sale or something and after a couple years of it sitting on my shelf, I was in the mood for a quick read and figured that I'd give it a try. I made it through about 2/3 of the way through and just had to stop and move on to something else. I just didn't like it. There was a few things in it that could be considered a little humorous, but generally I found my eyes glazing over way too often. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |
Reading for a book club ( )
  kaylynvh | Jun 20, 2017 |
"The devil," said Thomas More, "cannot endure to be mocked," and which, if correct, means that somewhere in the inferno there must be considerable annoyance.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, P. W. Wilson (pay site) (Mar 28, 1943)

Lewis, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackland, JossNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papas, BillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuulio, TyyniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn.'
—Luther
'The devil . . . the prowde spirite . . . cannot endure to be mocked.'
—Thomas More
To J. R. R. Tolkien
My dear Wormwood, I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend.
Please do not combine this LT work with any abridged edition, or with any edition that includes Lewis' additional piece, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast." Each of these variants should be combined only with similar LT works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0020868707, Mass Market Paperback)

C. S. Lewis was one of the greatest Christian Writers of our age. His "Screwtape Letters" still stirs considerable controversy. He wrote from the perspective of a devil giving advice to another devil in how to tempt a Christian. In doing so, he reveals to us how we let evil into our own lives. Lewis's work has influenced three generations of Christian thinkers and will continue to be a seminal Christian work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:59 -0400)

"Esta clasica obra maestra de satira ha entretenido e iluminado a lectores alrededor del mundo con su ironica y astuta representacion de la vida y las debilidades humanas desde el punto de vista de Escrutopo, el asistente de alto rango de "Nuestro Padre de Abajo". En este divertidisimo, muy serio y excepcionalmente original libro, C. S. Lewis comparte con nosotros la correspondencia entre el viejo diablo y su sobrino Orugario, un novato demonio encargado de asegurarse de la condenacion de un joven hombre"--container. A satiric masterpiece that offers a portrait of humanity from the vantage point of a worldly demon's correspondence with a novice in charge of tempting an ordinary man.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible