Milk in my Coffee by Eric Jerome Dickey

Milk in my Coffee (edition 2000)

by Eric Jerome Dickey

Collections:Your library, Favorites, Contemporary/Urban, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Relationships, Interracial Relationships, African American Fiction

Milk in My Coffee by Eric Jerome Dickey

The premise is Jordan and Kimberly are supposed to each take turns telling their side of their seemingly doomed romance. While I tagged this "chick lit" it isn't. Not really. It's the story of two people trying to overcome the color of their skin and their deep rooted opinions. I appreciated Jordan's ingrained racism that spoke to a long standing tradition of passing prejudice through history. He continually referred to the South unapologetically (my word), as if that's just the way it will always be, like it or not. His perceptions of Kimberley as a white woman are generations old. There was more drama in this story expected but that didn't take away from the story.

Milk in My Coffee is broken into four parts. The first eleven chapters are from Jordan Green's point of view. Every chapter is titled "Jordan Greene" before it switches to Kimberley Chambers (for one chapter). Wouldn't it have been simpler (and I would have preferred this) to have one giant section of Jordan Greene narrative?
This isn't a huge deal, but Milk in My Coffee contains references that date the plot. I didn't know Erica Kane or Nurse Rachid so I didn't get the jokes referencing them. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jul 13, 2016 |
Ahhhh ,me encantò .
Me enamorè . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Eric Jerome Dickey is an amazing writer. All of his books have kept me on the edge of my seat! ( )
  cnixon612 | Oct 14, 2013 |
Good book! An interracial relationship as seen from the Black man's perspective. Dickey "writes" women perspective well also. Well developed characters, good insight into their emotions. ( )
  Jeanperry | Feb 17, 2012 |
OMG i hated this book ( )
  iltr | Jan 26, 2012 |

Dickey, Eric Jeromeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knight, EzraReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451201000, Paperback)

Dickey's third novel takes on the personal politics associated with interracial romance, as a chance encounter in a Manhattan taxi brings together Jordan Greene, a young black urban professional, and Kimberly Chavers, a white painter. Dickey gets far beyond the stereotypes, infusing all his characters with complex emotional lives, and while Jordan dominates the story, the multiple first-person narration shows just how deep Dickey's willing to get inside "all" his characters' heads. Milk in My Coffee is a story about two people coming to terms with the attitudes that shape their identities, where hearts and minds learn painful lessons about getting beyond what the eye can see. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

Jordan Greene moves from the deep south to New York City, and finds more than he ever bargained for. When he shares a ride with a vivacious young white girl, a romance grows between the unlikely pair--much to the chagrin of Jordan's friends and family. Love on the other side of the color bar forces him to examine his own values and follow his own heart.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible