Taken by the Night (The Brotherhood of…

Taken by the Night (The Brotherhood of Blood, Book 3) (edition 2007)

by Kathryn Smith

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Taken by the Night (The Brotherhood of Blood, Book 3)
Authors:Kathryn Smith
Info:Avon (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:TBR, Paranormal Romance

Taken by the Night by Kathryn Smith

I don't know why I continue to read Kathryn Smith's work expecting to like it. This was my fourth attempt at her, third within this series, and I still can't call any of it better than mediocre. The problem is, I keep getting sucked in by the good premise but let down by the execution.

This book, for example, was about a Jack the Ripper type killer preying of prostitutes who service vampires. For that alone I wanted to love this book. Saint is one of the owners of the house of women who cater to the needs of himself and his fellow vampires. Ivy is the daughter of the madame of the house. Though not a prostitute herself, she is no shy virgin. Her main occupation is taking provocative pictures of the ladies as an artform. It comes to her attention that the women being murdered are all ones she has photographed, and she and Saint undertake to stop the killer before more women parish.

As I stated I think this book has an excellent premise. I even like the characters. Saint is your generic romance hero, everything you might want and expect. Attractive and rakeish, yet caring and attentive. Lacking in uniqueness, but likeable nonetheless. Ivy, on the other hand, suprised me with her originality of character. Oweing to the unusual circumstances of her life, she is neither bashful and innocent nor tough and jaded. She's artistic, self-assured, stubborn, and brave. And she almost managed to make the story worth reading for me.

My issues with this book are the same as my issues with all books by this author. I want to stress that if you've been reading this series so far and you've been enjoying it, carry on because it's much the same. If like me you've been holding out for the series to progress or improve, however, don't waste the energy. The problem for me is that Smith has no idea how to build suspence. The outcomes of every plot thread are so predictable. I should not be able to guess from chapter 2 who the villain is. I should not be able to figure things out long before the main characters start to peice things together. There should be twists. And I should care about the people that are dieing but...the author gives me no reason to. So in this book as with the previous two in the series, I was just bored through most of it. I only skimmed to the finish to make sure I didn't miss anything...and I didn't. So I give this book two stars for the attempt, but I'm giving up on Kathryn Smith for the time being. ( )
  fairypenguin | Jul 6, 2010 |
Look out London. Saint's back in town.

"They may call me Saint, but there is nothing saintly about me."

Saint came to London looking for a little rest, blood, and maybe some feminine company. He never wanted to avenge the murders of two prostitutes, and he certainly never asked for the censure he sees in Ivy Dearing's eyes. Though, the desire he sees there awakens a hunger inside him unlike any he has ever known. He is not the only man taken in by Ivy's considerable charms, but he plans to be the only man in her bed. And when the madman he's hunting turns his attention toward Ivy, Saint will risk everything – even his immortality – to save the woman he loves. ( )
  amarynt | Jan 4, 2009 |
The latest Kathryn Smith historical vampire romance tale is a fabulous paranormal Victorian serial killer whodunit; It takes place in 19th century London; The romance between the heroine and vampire is filled with confict...very good read ( )
  blingtastic | Jan 1, 2009 |
This book is dedicated to Nicola Simpson, who started out my critique partner and became one of my favorite people in the world.
To Erika for her trust, faith and belief. It's so appreciated. To Nancy for being her amazing self, and for letting me know when I'm nuts. And to Tom and the art department at Avon--thanks for the gorgeous covers!
And to Steve, because he'd pout if I left him out.
It was the poorest excuse for a whorehouse that he'd ever laid eyes on.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006124502X, Mass Market Paperback)

I enjoy carnal pleasures like any mortal man, but six hundred years of existence have taught me loss. Best to stay away from people and save myself the heartache. Then I arrive at the notorious London brothel Maison Rouge, and my life, such as it is, will never be the same again.

Ivy Dearing, daughter of the infamous Madam, has requested my assistance. Two of her friends have been murdered, and she is determined to find their killer. I know better than to agree to help, yet Ivy is impossible to resist. No stranger to vampires, she has awakened desires within me that are as potent as my thirst for blood—desires that can only be satisfied by Ivy herself. But when there is another murder, it is all I can do to protect the woman I love from an evil more powerful than the undead . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible