Fire Ship (Star Trek Voyager: The Captains…

Fire Ship (Star Trek Voyager: The Captains Table, Book 4) (edition 1998)

by Diane Carey

220378,333 (3.78)None
Member:biglou8501
Title:Fire Ship (Star Trek Voyager: The Captains Table, Book 4)
Authors:Diane Carey
Info:Star Trek (1998), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages

The Captain's Table: Fire Ship by Diane Carey

This is an early example of the proliferation of Star Trek books that expanded on the various television series and is a sub series featuring some of the captains from both the TV sderies and the other books. 'Fire Ship', as you may guess from the cover, features Captain Janeway who gets inducted into the secrets of 'The Captain's Table' while still stuck in the Delta Quadrant - finding an Olde Worlde English pub filled with all sorts of aliens and humans from every era was weird even for that strange area of space.

The price of entrance to the 'Table is a tale of interest and Captain Janeway has one of a time when she'd been separated from the Voyager after thinking it destroyed by a sneak attack. Castaway, she finds herself taken aboard a spaceship crewed by a humanoid crew, Kate Janeway finds herself at the bottom of the chain of command - a common deck hand - after finding her new crewmates were underwhelmed by her claims of imminent invasion and technological superiority.

I have to admit that I'm not overfond of the Voyager series and I have bought few of the novels based in that millieu but this, bought because of 'The Captain's Table' connection, is quite enjoyable and doesn't suffer from the prissiness of the Voyager TV shows (IMO of course :-)) ( )
  JohnFair | Mar 12, 2015 |
This one's typical Trek fare, really. But I fell in love with the mental picture of a ship covered with video tiles and the idea of a high and mighty Starfleet captain having to prove herself in an alien culture and under different leadership. That's why I decided to grab a copy for my shelf. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jul 25, 2010 |
My favorite of the first four Captain's Table books (I haven't read 5 or 6).
Janeway is taken away from everything she has - left broken physically and emotionally - and then begins to cope with the circumstance in a truly inspiring way.
I'm afraid that nearly everything I want to say about it is a spoiler of one kind or another - I'll just say that it was a good read, especially for a fan of Voyager that is most interested in Captain Janeway. While this may be borderline spoiler to say: she also finds herself in a situation where she is the only woman, for 95% of her tale, and among the challenges she faces it presents one of the most interesting threads throughout the story.
The Captain's Table 'framing device' that this series utilizes is hardly mentioned in this book, which I actually found to be a relief.
I'd been reading all of them in order and the CT concept wasn't holding my interest very much. ****1/2 ( )
  Daedalus18 | Jun 29, 2009 |
"Naow, about goin' back. Allowin' we could do it, which we can't, you ain't  in no fit state to go back to yoru home, an' we've jest come on to the Banks, workin' fer our bread ... an' with good luck we'll be ashore again somewhere abaout the first weeks o' September."
~ Captain Disko Troop
Captains Couragous
by Rudyard Kipling
"And just how did you find your way to the Captain's Table?" a stout man in oilskins asked her.

There's a bar called "The Captain's Table" where those who have commanded mighty vessels of every shape and era can meet, relax, and share a friendly drink or two with others  of their calling. sometimes a brawl may break out but it's all in the family, more or less. Just remember, the first round of drinks is always paid for with a story ... even in the Delta Quadrant!"

A sudden attack separates Captain Kathryn Janeway from her ship and crew. Soon she is rescued - but not by Voyager. Alone aboard an alien vessel, Janeway finds herself in the middle of a war she cannot yet understand. She must quickly learn the ways of this new culture and work her way back to captain if she is to protect her new allies from the war that only she knows is coming. Without her ship, all her quick wits and Starfleet experience may not be quite enough to save the Delta Quadrant from war.
    ------------------------------

CAPTAIN JANEWAY - IN HER OWN WORDS!

"When I went into the escape pod, part of my hair had been burned off above the shoulders. When I came out, it was an inch below the shoulder. How much time is that?
"I wanted to walk, I tried, but had no idea where "down" was. my foil poncho crinkled as several strong hands lifted me. My scorched hand moved in a pathetic wave of thanks.
"I saw figures over me, humanoid if not human.
"'Do you understand me?' one of them asked.
"'Yes, I do.' My voice was raspy, smoke-rawed and out of practice.
"'I'm Raven, chief medic. This is Zell, our second in command.' He turned to Zell and said, 'She has burns over thirty percent of her body, but only four percent are deep damage. I have them treated and compressed. Her legsa are the worst. She can walk, but slowly and with help. Another week in that pod and her muscles would have atrophied.'
"'At least found her in time,' Zell said. 'She's alive. We're all alive for now. It's good enough.'
"The first officer turned to me and took a step closer. 'Welcome aboard the Zingara. I don't recognize your species. Who are you and where do you come from?'"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671014676, Mass Market Paperback)

There's a bar called "The Captain's Table, " where those who have commanded mighty vessels of every shape and era can meet, relax, and share a friendly drink or two with others of their calling. Sometimes a brawl may break out but it's all in the family, more or less. Just remember, the first round of drinks is always paid for with a story...even in the Delta Quadrant.
A sudden attack separates Captain Kathryn Janeway from her ship and crew. Soon she is rescued -- but not by "Voyager." Alone aboard an alien vessel, Janeway finds herself in the middle of a war she cannot yet understand. She must quickly learn the ways of this new culture and work her way back to captain if she is to protect her new allies from the war that only she knows is coming. Without her ship, all her quick wits and Starfleet experience may not be quite enough to save the Delta Quadrant from war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

A sudden attack separates Captain Kathryn Janeway from her ship and crew. Soom she is rescued - but not by Voyager. Alone aboard an alien vessel, Janeway finds herself in the middle of a war she cannot yet understand and must quickly learn the ways of this new culture.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,498,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible