Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life and Others (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Ted Chiang

1,512584,895 (4.31)1 / 63
Member:kmaziarz
Title:Stories of Your Life and Others
Authors:Ted Chiang
Info:Orb Books (2003), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Short Stories, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:short stories, sf, sci fi, science fiction, contemporary science fiction, science fiction short stories

Arrival by Ted Chiang (2002)

English (51)  French (4)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (57)
Just amazing. I'm not sure if these are short stories or novellas, but whatever they are, they are wonderful. Chiang is a highly imaginative and learned writer (or so I imagine, since many of his ideas are way over my head). His style is detailed and lucid. Each story pulls the reader along in a calm but inexorable manner. Chiang's work seems to resist genre - falling somewhere between science fiction and magic realism. Sometimes, it has an age-bending, steam-punkish quality. Highly recommended. ( )
  nngrey | Jan 13, 2017 |
Originally published as “Stories of Your Life and Others,” this science fiction anthology includes “Story of Your Life,” the basis for the film “Arrival.” All eight stories are stand-outs; many have won major awards. Some of the stories require characters to confront sudden change, but the anthology presents views of a world marked by uncertainty as well as by beauty and wonder.

Each imaginative, thought-provoking story will keep readers enthralled as the pages turn, delivering the reader at the final page much too soon. These are stories to be savored, mind-blowing stories, stories that will haunt readers long after they’ve closed the book.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Dec 31, 2016 |
I'm still not quite half through half these stories, but this won't be a collection I soon forget. ( )
1 vote MattB99 | Dec 19, 2016 |
Are you familiar with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis? Back in the day when I was in college I remember writing a paper on applying this language paradigm to coding. It was so long ago I don’t really remember what I wrote, but I still remember agreeing with the fact that coding could also be a fitting subject to the Sapir-Whorf wisdom… Thinking it over once again, and being a “more mature human being” (meaning: “being advanced in years”), I still think we can draw some parallels between natural and programming languages. For starters, the way both types of languages are built allow coders to adapt and shift their ways of thinking more fluidly as they learn new programming languages than as they learn new spoken languages. It is that diversity that allowed me to both grow individually as a programmer and further advanced my own tastes when it came to choosing my favourite programming languages.

The rest of this review can be found on my blog. ( )
1 vote antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Very imaginative author. The story elements sometimes left a bit to be desired, so some of the stories almost felt closer to science articles than entertainment, but the level of creativity more than made up for it. ( )
  Guide2 | Dec 6, 2016 |
For Brian Chiang and Jenna Felice
In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Ted Chiang's first published story, "Tower of Babylon," won the Nebula Award for 1990. Now, collected for the first time, are all seven of this extraordinary writer's extraordinary stories--plus a new story written especially for this volume.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,629,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible