Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life and Others (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Ted Chiang

1,736684,078 (4.31)1 / 71
Member:kmaziarz
Title:Stories of Your Life and Others
Authors:Ted Chiang
Info:Orb Books (2003), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Short Stories, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:short stories, sf, sci fi, science fiction, contemporary science fiction, science fiction short stories

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang (2002)

Recently added bycherien, ivan.frade, Necronian, private library, cadolph, Brylambren, hobbithelen, Craiglea

English (60)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (67)
No surprise that "Story of Your Life" was my favorite of this collection.

More thoughts to come.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | May 8, 2017 |
Count me among the many who'd never heard of Ted Chiang before 2016 and who read Stories of Your Life and Others because of a little movie called Arrival. (Hey, at least I read the story before seeing the movie.) Before I get into my thoughts on the book, I must say, “Well, done moviemakers. You did a fine job adapting what must have been a tough story to adapt.”

Stories of Your Life and Others is such a mixed collection. All the stories in here are very cerebral. At times, it feels more like a science journal than a work of fiction. And this is both the collection's BOOM and its whimper. While the analytical approach brought validity and uniqueness to some of the stories, especially the titular story, it made others feel dry and inaccessible. Though I strongly enjoyed “The Story of Your Life,” I struggled with many of the other stories and was on the verge of giving up. I'm glad I didn't as the second most enjoyable story in this collection was the last.

Like all story collections I've ever read, Stories of Your Life and Others is a mixed bag, but when Chiang pulls together a fresh story and the right voice, he writes a killer story. Those looking for more science in their science fiction should be pleased with this author.
  chrisblocker | May 5, 2017 |
This collection is some of the most original hard science fiction I've ever read.
While I enjoyed this book, at times it felt as if I was reading a textbook. It took great concentration to follow along with the "science" parts. I think people that don't normally read SF, would probably have a hard time as well.
I would only recommend this book to hardcore SF fans. ( )
  antrat1965 | Apr 7, 2017 |
There are SFF writers who are highly creative, original thinkers . . . and then there's Ted Chiang. His settings are so inventive that I can find myself shocked on every page, and yet the follow through is so well done that his worlds start to make more sense then our own.

If you're here just for "Story of Your Life" (adapted as the film Arrival), you won't be disappointed, but the other stories are also worth your time. ( )
  Katya0133 | Mar 28, 2017 |
Superb. Amazing collection of really inventive and imaginative science fiction stories. All of them are clever, all of them have some relevance to modern life, all of them branch out in an unusual and clever manner. Some are of course better than others, but even the least good of the stories is still much better than so many others I've read.

It's very difficult to review collections of short stories, especially one covering such diverse themes as this. The title 'Story of your Life' was recently adapted into a film, and I can see how that would have worked although I haven't seen it. Aliens have arrived on earth, but communication has not been achieved until your heroine changes how she sees the world. Many of the other stories sort of follow a similar theme - changing your view of how you see religion, death, fashion etc. The title story is great, but some of the others are probably even better, 'Liking what you see:A Documentary' is my favourite. A series of interviews with college students leading up to a vote on whether or not to apply a mental block against physical beauty. This is true of all the stories - the science is hand wavy. It's there to provide a concept, and a context not for rigorous understanding of the physical universe we live - and yet even better, as far as I could tell, none of the "Laws of Nature" we know about have broken. There's no FTL etc.

Some of the best SF I've read in a long time. Thought provoking, unique, clever, relevant, fun and well written. What more could you ask for? I just wish he'd write a novel, or a LOT more stories. ( )
2 vote reading_fox | Mar 26, 2017 |
For Brian Chiang and Jenna Felice
In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Ted Chiang's first published story, "Tower of Babylon," won the Nebula Award for 1990. Now, collected for the first time, are all seven of this extraordinary writer's extraordinary stories--plus a new story written especially for this volume.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,390,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible