Stories of Your Life: and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life: and Others (original 2002; edition 2010)

by Ted Chiang

2,3741093,948 (4.26)1 / 92
Member:blakslaks
Title:Stories of Your Life: and Others
Authors:Ted Chiang
Info:Small Beer Press (2010), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang (2002)

English (102)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (109)
A mixed bag of short stories with variable results. However, when Chiang scores a goal, it is resounding and surprisingly great. The Tower of Babylon, Understand, and the titular story are all great ones-- the rest I found missed their mark. Nevertheless, this is some great new development in the realm of science fiction, and I surmise that Chiang is a writer to watch for.

3.5-- well worth it. ( )
1 vote DanielSTJ | Apr 3, 2019 |
The Arrival movie adaptation of the eponymously titled story was an excellent cinematic experience – highly recommended, if you haven’t seen this year’s best film (and soundtrack!) This goes to show there is a whole more to science fiction than space battles and shit like that. Chiang is our most decorated short story writer and every sentence is perfectly placed. If you never do SF short story collections because you think novels are where it's at, do your self a favor and check this out at your local library. Mind bending, “literary” speculative fiction. ( )
  starlight17 | Mar 19, 2019 |
Truly remarkable collection of speculative shorts first gathered together over 15 years ago and some dating back to the early 90s. I came to this through Arrival and while the title story in this collection is very different from the movie, it's clear they share DNA. I read so little science fiction these days that this was a treat. Great ideas, explored with compassion. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
I especially liked 'Understand', "Story of Your Life", "Tower of Babylon", and "Liking What You See: A Documentary". My overall impression is that Chiang's methodical, mathematical mind results in a plodding style of story telling that made me feel impatient. This was at its worst in "Seventy-Two Letters" - which is too bad, since the idea of the story is great - a steampunk version of genetic discovery. I appreciated the stories more than I enjoyed them. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
I am astonished at how little Chiang has published - each of these eight stories has an effortless polish and freshness that can only come from a lot of labor. I'd come across two of his stories before in Dozois' Year's Best Science Fiction collections. I've only read two and Chiang was in both of them, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that all eight of these had been.
Chiang has a refined, technical style of writing, but that doesn't inhibit the power behind the emotions. The title story is a woman writing to her daughter, remembering the past and the future simultaneously. It explores how our language might shape the patterns of our thoughts. I first read "Story of Your Life" almost ten years ago and I still think about it.

"Tower of Babylon" is classic what-if world-building told from the perspective of a miner hired by the architects of the Tower to bore into Heaven, "Understand" is the result of experimental medication on a comatose graphic designer, and "Hell is the Absence of God" is a quest for faith and love in a world where the existence of God is unquestionable. Ted Chiang pushes the boundaries of science fiction into history, literature, mathematics, social networking....the man can write. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.
The movie Arrival is based on the novella Story of your Life, not this anthology.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Stories of your life and others delivers dual delights of the very, very strange and the heartbreakingly familiar, often presenting characters who must confront sudden change -- the inevitable rise of automations or the appearance of aliens -- while striving to maintain some sense of normalcy.… (more)

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,089,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible