Stories of Your Life: and Others by Ted…

Stories of Your Life: and Others (original 2002; edition 2010)

by Ted Chiang

2,227994,146 (4.27)1 / 88
Member:blakslaks
Title:Stories of Your Life: and Others
Authors:Ted Chiang
Info:Small Beer Press (2010), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang (2002)

English (91)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (98)
It's like, What if Calvino or Borges wrote pieces that were plot-driven without losing too much of either their appealing brevity or their conceptual underpinning? Having the author's "Story Notes" at the end--where he gives a paragraph explanation of where the idea for each piece came from--was nice. Also contains one of my favorite descriptions of what it feels like to be a parent: it's like giving birth "to an animated voodoo doll of myself". ( )
  CGlanovsky | Sep 11, 2018 |
I can see that these are clever stories with interesting concepts. But I didn’t enjoy reading a single one. They’re all dry and somehow dead, and a little pretentious. ( )
  EnidaV | Sep 8, 2018 |
Speculative, thought-provoking scifi, reminiscent of both Greg Egan and Borges. The titular story is fantastic; of the rest, some are stronger than others, but they all made me think. If you want to read a story that conceptualizes golems as von Neumann machines, then, my friend, this is your lucky day. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
What a surprising gem of a book. I loved how most of the stories tweak some foundational underpinning of what it means to be human and explores how that change would play out. I also really enjoyed the cadence of several stories as well. The short, couple paragraph vignettes made it surprising easy to bounce around some of the ideas he was exploring in my own head. ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
I read this simply because I saw the Arrival movie and loved it. Usually I prefer to read the story before seeing the movie adaptation, but I'm glad I saw the movie first in this case. It was much more engaging than the short story. Overall, these are solid stories that explore very original and interesting concepts, though some don't quite end in a satisfactory manner. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |

In memory of
Brian Chiang
and
Jenna Felice.
Were the tower to be laid down across the plain of Shinar, it would be two days' journey to walk from one end to the other.
The movie Arrival is based on the novella Story of your Life, not this anthology.

Collects these stories
"Tower of Babylon"
"Understand"
"Division by Zero"
"Story of Your Life"
"Seventy-Two Letters"
"The Evolution of Human Science"
"Hell Is the Absence of God"
"Liking What You See: A Documentary"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765304198, Paperback)

This marvelous collection by one of science fiction's most thoughtful and graceful writers belongs on the bookshelf of anyone interested in literary science fiction.

Collected here for the first time, Ted Chiang's award-winning stories--recipients of the Nebula, Sturgeon, Campbell, and Asimov awards--offer a feast of science, speculation, humanity, and lyricism. Standouts include "Tower of Babylon," in which a miner ascends the fabled tower in order to break through the vault of heaven; "Division by Zero," a precise and heartbreaking examination of the disintegration of hope and love; and "Story of Your Life," in which a linguist learns an alien language that reshapes her view of the world. Chiang has the gift that lies at the heart of good science fiction: a human story, beautifully told, in which the science is an expression of the deeper issues that the characters must confront. Full of remarkable ideas and unforgettable moments, Stories of Your Life and Others is highly recommended. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Stories of your life and others delivers dual delights of the very, very strange and the heartbreakingly familiar, often presenting characters who must confront sudden change -- the inevitable rise of automations or the appearance of aliens -- while striving to maintain some sense of normalcy.… (more)

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,832,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible