Pandora's Clock by John J. Nance

Pandora's Clock (edition 1996)

by John J. Nance

Member:GVassmer
Title:Pandora's Clock
Authors:John J. Nance
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (1996), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Collections:Vassmer Paper Media
Tags:MYS

Pandora's Clock by John J. Nance

English (6)  German (1)  All (7)
What should have been a routine international airline flight turns into a media event when it's revealed that the passengers of Quantum Flight 66 may have been exposed to a deadly omega virus, similar to Ebola. Professor Helms boards Flight 66 coughing and generally feeling ill. When he suffers an apparent heart attack mid-flight, Captain James Holland, requests an emergency landing in London. To his alarm and confusion, his request is denied. The captain and his copilot soon realize that no country will let them land. Before long, the CIA gets involved, and the director believes the best way out of the situation is to have the plane destroyed by an infamous terrorist group.

I thought the possibility of a doomsday virus being carried on a commercial airline flight was an interesting premise. The book moved along fairly quickly and built up tension until the CIA characters started getting involved. The book feels a bit dated since it was originally written in 1995 and so many things have changed, especially in airline travel. Still, it was enjoyable enough and I will definitely check out other books by this author. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Nov 4, 2016 |
I have a stack of old audio tape cassette books that I want to whittle down so I popped the first cassette in a cheap player that I had bought. The player buttons broke off when I turned the side over! I was so engaged by John K. Nance’s thriller, Pandora’s Clock that I held the down the metal remainder of the play button to hear the other side. This is the first time that I ever endured pain to listen to an audio book! It was that good. Thank goodness I found out that my old boom box still could play!

If you like airplane thrillers, you will love this story. Some of it is overly dramatic but that it is part of the fun. The reader was the author and he did a superb job of getting me sitting on the edge of my sit and excited. We had the Ebola scare here in the Dallas area so the story seemed somewhat ironic. A man collapses and later dies after he has boarded the plane. He was give mouth to mouth resuscitation. There are 235 passengers on the 747 Boeing. The pilot James Holland has the worst nightmare of any pilot when he finds out that the dead passenger may have been infected with a deadly flu virus. From then on, you can imagine his difficulties and what could potentially happen to his poor passengers.

I highly recommend this book if you love thrillers! ( )
  Carolee888 | Dec 11, 2014 |
A good, solid read of reasonable length. No glaring problems or faults. I suppose a little more character development could have improved it. The ending was good (and by good, I don't mean "Happily ever after for everyone" or anything like that) I just mean it was done well and didn't feel like the standard cookie cut-out ending even a lot of the best books play into. ( )
  broccolima | Jan 26, 2014 |
I have to say that this was a very intriguing book to read. It starts as a biological thriller and turns into a political one. I was hooked from the beginning and glad I had the opportunity to read it. ( )
  gopfolk | Jul 6, 2012 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312960344, Mass Market Paperback)

The biowarfare people call the bug a Level 4 pathogen. That means no cure. No hope. No survivors.

Now it's loose on Quantum Flight 66. One passenger is already dead. The experts say in 48 hours the rest may follow.

James Holland, former U.S. fighter pilot, now flying this commercial Boeing 747, isn't ready to die. They say he can't land his plane. They say he's a threat to the whole world. They're ready to blast him out of the sky.

Captain Holland may be on a collision course with doom-but they're going to have to catch him first. He's determined to take whatever risks he must to outfly them. Outsmart them. And beat...Pandora's Clock.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Captian James Holland is piloting a routine international flight when a passenger becomes seriously ill. When he radios for an emergency landing he is prohibited from landing in any country, because the passenger is carrying a deadly virus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible