Ziemiomorze by Ursula K. Le Guin

Ziemiomorze (original 2001; edition 2013)

by Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)

Explores further the magical world of Earthsea through five tales of events which occur before or after the time of the original novels, as well as an essay on the people, languages, history and magic of the place.
Member:otryt
Title:Ziemiomorze
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)
Info:Proszynski (2013), 944 pages
Tags:ydo

Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (2001)

English (41)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
The Finder – An early tale about another wizard who excels at changing his shape like Ged. This one was a bit boring and felt drawn out. It was neat to learn about the founding of Roke Island and to see lady sorcerers. Had some similar themes to Ged’s tale, but it didn’t quite grab me.

Darkrose and Diamond – A love story about being true to your passions and how the sacrifices we make can affect us.

The Bones of the Earth – This was about Ogion and his master. I loved it. It was sad and sweet and I loved learning more about Ogion’s beginnings with magic and how he got to where he was when we met him through Ged. I think this was my favorite of the collection.

On the High Marsh – Another good one about one of Ged’s adventures as Archmage. A tale of redemption.

Dragonfly – My second favorite of the collection. This story is what ties Tehanu to The Other Wind and brings us up to speed about what’s been happening on Roke after Ged left his position as Archmage. I’m always happy to read about another lady with power who isn’t just some hedgewitch. Plus, dragons!

As far as shorts collections go, this didn’t blow me away. But overall I enjoyed the stories and at the very least you need to read Dragonfly if you’re going to continue the series to the final book, The Other Wind. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 18, 2019 |
A group of short stories from various eras in Earthsea. It gives some good background and history to the novels. Interesting to fans of the original trilogy. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 6, 2019 |
A varied collection of short stories that expand on the mythology of Earthsea and provide a different view of some familiar characters. A nice adjunct to the rest of the series. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 14, 2019 |
This is a collection of short stories set in Earthsea universe. They span the period from several centuries prior to the first volume [b:A Wizard of Earthsea|13642|A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1353424536s/13642.jpg|113603] to years after the fourth [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386924581s/13661.jpg|2902890].
This is the unique feature of SFF that if desired, you may get answers even to questions you haven’t initially even thought to ask. I’m sure that when Le Guin was writing [b:A Wizard of Earthsea|13642|A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1353424536s/13642.jpg|113603], she just based the mage academy on Roke island on ‘classical’ European university, were both the faculty and pupils were male, which was not even discussed before the XIX century. However, after thinking it out (I guess), the author added the story how the academy was founded, how women were expunged. You may add and add the layers of complexity the way you like, for this is your world.
The book consists of 5 stories and as an addition a history of Earthsea. The stories are:
• The Finder – how the Roke was founded
• Darkrose and Diamond – what if a person with the gift of magic doesn’t want it
• The Bones of the Earth – the true story about how Ogion stopped the earthquake
• On the High Marsh – how people can be traumatized by magic
• Dragonfly – the only story that moves the history behind the fourth volume, [b:Tehanu|13661|Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386924581s/13661.jpg|2902890], about people and dragons
The stories are good, but only for people, who read the previous books may really enjoy them, for they are heavily based on what was written before.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
A couple of short stories taking place in Earthsea. I enjoyed how all of them showed some characters we knew already (sometimes just in passing), but through the eyes of people who would count as "insignificant" in most stories. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dla moich braci: Cliftona, Teda, Karla
This is the first page of the Book of the Dark, written some six hundred years ago in Berila, on Enlad: "After Elfarran and Morred perished and the Isle of Soléa sank beneath the sea, the Council of the Wise governed for the child Serriadh until he took the throne."
Short story collection; not to be confused (or combined) with omnibus editions of the NOVELS, or with the animated film of the same title. Contains "The Finder", "Darkrose and Diamond", "The Bones of the Earth", "On the High Marsh", and "Dragonfly".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,146,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible