Ziemiomorze by Ursula K. Le Guin

Ziemiomorze (original 2001; edition 2013)

by Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (5)

Explores further the magical world of Earthsea through five tales of events which occur before or after the time of the original novels, as well as an essay on the people, languages, history and magic of the place.
Member:otryt
Title:Ziemiomorze
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin (Author)
Info:Proszynski (2013), 944 pages
Tags:ydo

Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (2001)

English (43)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
There are five stories in this book, ranging from about 100 pages to 20. Each are unique adding a bit more to the portrait of Earthsea. They all are a delight to read. Loved them! ( )
  nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
Next time when I read an author's advice in their intro to "read after, not before, the novels" I'll take their advice- I was too lost to simply enjoy this. ( )
  RivkaC | Aug 28, 2020 |
This followed Tehanu after another long break and so I've only read it twice and don't have the same relationship to it as I do with the older Earthsea books.

Somehow this book is more than the sum of its parts; the individual stories are good but not excellent. The essay on Earthsea is interesting but because it is a set of working notes instead of a story it lacks lustre. Yet at the end of the book I felt that I knew Earthsea much better than at the start. It is a place of magic and epic adventure but also a place where people have ordinary problems. It is a place where history has been re-written, power has been fought over, usurped, stolen. A place where the truth of events is often unknown and myth and legend take its place. It's a lot like here, really, because it's populated by humans. Then again, it is very different because the humans have magic and there are dragons...

It was delightful to encounter Ged again, though in a story not really his. The history of Roke was startling and an excellent way to weave some constructive Feminism into Earthsea, after the unremitting negativity of Tehanu. The story of Irian has an annoying protagonist switch but otherwise serves well to link Tehanu back into the main theme of the Earthsea novels, a bridge to the final book, The Other Wind, as LeGuin says.

It was fun to learn the full story behind the legends and ballads, about Morred, his Enemy and Elfarren and also the complete story of Erreth-Akbe, the Ring and Orm.

This book seems best when seen as part of the whole, the fifth of six volumes, rather than standing alone. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
The Finder – An early tale about another wizard who excels at changing his shape like Ged. This one was a bit boring and felt drawn out. It was neat to learn about the founding of Roke Island and to see lady sorcerers. Had some similar themes to Ged’s tale, but it didn’t quite grab me.

Darkrose and Diamond – A love story about being true to your passions and how the sacrifices we make can affect us.

The Bones of the Earth – This was about Ogion and his master. I loved it. It was sad and sweet and I loved learning more about Ogion’s beginnings with magic and how he got to where he was when we met him through Ged. I think this was my favorite of the collection.

On the High Marsh – Another good one about one of Ged’s adventures as Archmage. A tale of redemption.

Dragonfly – My second favorite of the collection. This story is what ties Tehanu to The Other Wind and brings us up to speed about what’s been happening on Roke after Ged left his position as Archmage. I’m always happy to read about another lady with power who isn’t just some hedgewitch. Plus, dragons!

As far as shorts collections go, this didn’t blow me away. But overall I enjoyed the stories and at the very least you need to read Dragonfly if you’re going to continue the series to the final book, The Other Wind. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 18, 2019 |
A group of short stories from various eras in Earthsea. It gives some good background and history to the novels. Interesting to fans of the original trilogy. ( )
  Griffin22 | Sep 6, 2019 |

Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dla moich braci: Cliftona, Teda, Karla
This is the first page of the Book of the Dark, written some six hundred years ago in Berila, on Enlad: "After Elfarran and Morred perished and the Isle of Soléa sank beneath the sea, the Council of the Wise governed for the child Serriadh until he took the throne."
Short story collection; not to be confused (or combined) with omnibus editions of the NOVELS, or with the animated film of the same title. Contains "The Finder", "Darkrose and Diamond", "The Bones of the Earth", "On the High Marsh", and "Dragonfly".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,585,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible