The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes (A…

The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes (A Calvin And Hobbes Treasury) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Bill Watterson

Member:empress8411
Title:The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes (A Calvin And Hobbes Treasury)
Authors:Bill Watterson
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (1990), Edition: Original, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Humor/Games/Comics, Calvin and Hobbes

The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (1990)

They're cute, they're funny, and at times rather cynical. What else to say? I read this because my brother beat me at tennis and we have a running bet where the winner of tennis matches gets to give the other person something they have to read. This is definitely something that I otherwise would have picked up and read cover to cover otherwise, but they were fun and nice little tidbits. Warning, they do pose a problem for reading at night: you say "Oh, I'll just read a few more comics," and then the next thing you know you've read like ten pages. They're so short they keep you reading just a few more.

I know nothing about comic books or anything (that is really more my brother's department), but if you want a fun, very light and humorous read, this is definitely nothing to sneeze out. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
Ah ha ha ha ha......

If this was my kid, I'd be in the insane asylum! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
3.5***

Who doesn’t love Calvin & Hobbes? Calvin is the intelligent, creative, imaginative, exasperating six-year-old with a “pet tiger” everyone else thinks is just a stuffed toy. For his parents, he is their pride and joy, and the bane of their existence … informing Dad that his polls show he is slipping in popularity and is destined to lose the next “Dad election;” asking his Mom if those are maggots or rice in the soup.

I loved this comic strip when it ran daily and Sunday, and I’ve missed it ever since Watterson stopped drawing it. But I have to say, a little goes a long way, and this is best enjoyed a strip or two (or page or two) per day, and not all at once. The book includes Calvin’s alter egos of Tyrannosaurus Rex, Spaceman Spiff and Stupendous Man. However, this particular collection is minus some of my favorite strips wherein Calvin created “interesting” (and sometimes frightening) snowmen tableaus.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
I think this book has a lesson in it that you should listen to your mom or dad and to not always ask for so many things. Calvin and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who actually comes to life, always have fun. Calvin always uses his imagination. Most of the time he uses his imagination like when he becomes Space Man Spiff and goes to different planets he names himself. When his teacher, mom, or dad is talking, Calvin is always ignoring them, so Calvin usually get sent to the board when he's at school. This taught me that you should always listen to your teacher and not play around or do other stuff.

My favorite part of this book was when Calvin and Hobbes throw snowballs at this girl named Susie Derkins, who Calvin really hates, but Hobbes really likes. Susie starts to send letters to Hobbes instead of Calvin, so Susie invites Hobbes to her birthday party. Calvin and Hobbes go on a scavenger hunt and the first thing on their list is an old license plate, and Calvin says, "Great! I saw one on the way here." It was funny, though, when Calvin ends up taking it off Susie's parents' car. When Calvin was taking off the license plate, Hobbes said, "Are you sure this game is legal?" He was worried he was going to get caught, so they did it really quickly and Calvin used his pocket knife to unscrew the license plate.

I thought this book was funny and I liked how the author put in illustrations and detail.

--Nolan, age 7
  Nolanhahn | Jun 13, 2014 |
What a treasure this is! This work is a collection that combines comics from two previous works -- Yukon Ho, and Weirdos from Another Planet. However, this treasury has three extra advantageous features. The Sunday strips appear here in full color; the format is larger, allowing a better appreciation of the drawings; and this collection includes the 7 page sequence in which Calvin transmogrifies himself into an elephant. Thus, fans of the series will want to include this"treasury" in their collections. ( )
3 vote danielx | Feb 2, 2014 |
To Doctor Dave and
Fellow Moosers John, Brad, and The Frey
Arrgh!
Santa Claus: kindly old elf, or CIA spook?

The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, is a large-format treasury of the cartoons from Yukon Ho! and Weirdos from Another Planet! (including full-color Sunday cartoons) plus a full-color original story unique to this collection. Millions of readers have enjoyed the tremendous talent of Bill Watterson. His skill as both artist and writer brings to life a boy, his tiger, and the imagination and memories of his ardent readers. The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes picks up where The Essential Calvin and Hobbes left off. Bill Watterson"s Calvin and Hobbes remains the authority on humor.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:54 -0400)

Tegneserie. En r?kke humoristiske historier med den filosofiske dreng Steen og hans talende plystiger Stoffer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,814,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible