The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy - 3) by…

The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy - 3)

by Elizabeth Hoyt

4082026,080 (3.83)30
Member:Dotland101
Title:The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy - 3)
Authors:Elizabeth Hoyt
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:3/3, Have & Read

The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

Not quite as good as its two predecessors, but nevertheless a fun read. Engaging hero/heroine and good secondary characters. The ending was rather abrupt; would have liked a bit more wrapping up. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
A bit boring ( )
  macaron91 | Jul 19, 2013 |
Romance,headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
THE SERPENT PRINCE may by my favorite of the Prince books. What can I say? I'm a sucker for an elegant savage. And the hero of the novel, Viscount Simon Iddesleigh, may be the best example that I have ever encountered of the type. Pale, lithe, urbane, with a too-clever tongue, he pretends to be a fop but is too obviously driven and intelligent for anyone to believe the charade.

The novel begins when Iddesleigh is abducted, beaten, and left for dead in the tiny town of Maiden Hill. The heroine of the novel, Lucinda Craddock-Hayes, finds him lying by the side of the road and has him taken back to the family manse, where she can nurse him back to health. The moment that Simon wakes, something clicks between them.

One thing I liked very much about THE SERPENT PRINCE is that while secondary characters frequently jump to the conclusion that if there is trouble in paradise, it's probably because Simon is running around like a tomcat sleeping with other women, Simon never questions his love for Lucy - or his ability to remain faithful - and Lucy, for her turn, doesn't doubt him either. In so many romance novels about rakes, the heroine is constantly racked with fear, convinced she can't keep (or deserve) her man's interest. In THE SERPENT PRINCE, the connection between Simon and Lucy is solid and true from the beginning, and the faith that the couple have in one another really brings that home to the reader. They love one another, it's real, and that's that.

No, it would take something truly dark and terrible to separate Simon and Lucy. That something is Simon's determination to revenge his brother's death by killing all the men who conspired to cause it. As the novel opens, he's already killed two of the four men responsible - in duels - and although the killings don't sit lightly on his conscience, he's not even tempted to change course and find another way.

There is something truly brutal, feverish and animal, about Simon. It comes through in his single-minded pursuit of revenge but it's present in his love for Lucy, as well - the edge of desperation and ferocity always lying just under the surface when he's with her. It's simply part of his character, and not really subject to change. This is another thing I liked about THE SERPENT PRINCE - Simon isn't declawed once he embarks on the road to marital bliss. Lucy anchors him enough to keep him from self-destructing; she gives him something to live for, and that changes some of his decisions; but Simon is never domesticated or tamed. At the end of the novel, he's still the elegant savage that I melted for at the beginning.

I recommend THE SERPENT PRINCE wholeheartedly. The characters are wonderful, the romance heartwrenching, the sex sizzling. It's a tour de force. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Book 3 of the Princes trilogy was a bit weak, committing some of the worst sins for a romance novel: boring characterization and story. The story moves too slowly, especially during the time that Viscount Simon Iddesleigh is convalescing at the home of country maiden Lucy Craddock-Hayes after he was attacked by unknown bad guys. I think we are supposed to be entertained by the attraction at first sight between the two, but I found there wasn’t much chemistry. Why? Because Lucy is so vanilla, and the banter isn't witty, funny, or meaningful. The same can said of the tiresome scenes with Lucy’s curmudgeonly, yet supposedly lovable, father.

Luckily, we move away from the tedious country house pretty soon. After the breath of fresh air (Simon) that swept into her life, Lucy decides that she can’t be satisfied living a country mouse life as the wife of a vicar. So she takes up Simon’s offer of marriage and moves to London. The rest of the story is marginally more interesting as we see Simon, in his bloodthirsty quest to avenge his dead brother, seek out the responsible men and engages them in dangerous duels. He loses a bit of his soul every time he kills a man, but he can’t stop until he gets revenge. Here, I like how Hoyt doesn’t sugarcoat things, the hero actually kills and kills. Quite more violent than most romance novels I’ve encountered—and it certainly made things more interesting. Of course, Lucy’s encouraging him to end such dangerous pursuits.

While Simon was a pretty engaging character, Lucy never came into her own as a fleshed-out character. She didn’t have an inner life that wasn’t attached to Simon’s exploits, so it seemed that she had no personality. We’re made to believe that she’s this spunky, perceptive woman, in the mold of other romance heroines, but I didn’t really see any evidence of this in the story itself. If Hoyt had further developed that glimpse of Lucy’s independence that we saw near the start of the book, when she realized she couldn’t settle for a quite country life, Lucy as anything but a bland cardboard cutout might have been more convincing. Maybe it’s personal taste, but I find stories with the heroine having to face her own problems in addition to what the hero’s confronting makes both characters more alive. We are shown Simon’s trips to the coffee house meeting his two friends, but barely anything that Lucy does by herself except for maybe two scenes with the in-laws.
  Samchan | Mar 31, 2013 |
For JADE LEE, the critique partner who has it all: coffee, chocolate, and wisdom...not necessarily in that order.
The dead man at Lucinda Craddock-Hayes's feet looked like a fallen god.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044640053X, Mass Market Paperback)

WHEN THE DEVIL MEETS AN ANGEL
Country bred Lucy Craddock-Hayes is content with her quiet life. Until the day she trips over an unconscious man - a naked unconscious man - and loses her innocence forever.

HE CAN TAKE HER TO HEAVEN
Viscount Simon Iddesleigh was nearly beaten to death by his enemies. Now he's hell-bent on vengeance. But as Lucy nurses him back to health, her honesty startles his jaded sensibilities - even as it ignites a desire that threatens to consume them both.

OR TO HELL
Charmed by Simon's sly wit, urbane manners, and even his red-heeled shoes, Lucy falls hard and fast for him. Yet as his honor keeps him from ravishing her, his revenge sends his attackers to her door. As Simon wages war on his foes, Lucy wages her own war for his soul using the only weapon she has - her love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:40 -0400)

Country bred Lucy Craddock-Hayes is content with her quiet life. Until the day she trips over a naked unconscious man, Viscount Simon Iddesleigh.

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible