Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Social Disease

by Paul Rudnick

In this comic novel by one of America's funniest writers, "the travails of (the) protagonist, a trust-funded trendoid named Guy, his ditzy clubland bride Venice, and their transvestite housekeeper, Licky Barnes, are very perky indeed. . . . "Social Disease" . . . is really about the three major issues of our time: sex, hair, and the telephone" (Paul Rudnick, "New York Magazine").… (more)

The author's "I'll Take It" is one of my all-time favorites, so I was looking forward to his 1986 novel "Social Disease." Alas, this story about NYC club kids was disappointing. The humor and surrealism I loved in the other book just seemed far-fetched here. Maybe I can't relate to club kids as much as Jewish mothers. ( )
  ennie | Apr 30, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible