Book of a thousand days by Shannon Hale

Book of a thousand days (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Shannon Hale, James Noel Smith (Illustrator)

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Book of a thousand days
Authors:Shannon Hale (Author)
Other authors:James Noel Smith (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Bloomsbury : Distributed to the trade by Holtzbrinck Publishers, 2007.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, age: young adult, type: trade paperback, read 2013

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (2007)

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (meggyweg)
    Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are Asian-inspired fairy tales that focus on the main character's strength of will and strength of mind. A different, but equally effective kind of bravery and girl power.
    Thorn by Intisar Khanani (Hollerama)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Hollerama)
    Snow by Tracy Lynn (Nikkles)
    Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher (foggidawn)
    Ever by Gail Carson Levine (foggidawn)

English (124)  Spanish (1)  All languages (125)
Good book! I think I have found another favorite author. This is the 2nd book I've read by this author, and both were excellent. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
I love Shannon Hale and this might be my favorite of all the books she has written. Somehow it was satisfying and unexpected at the same time. I know will seek out the original tale on which it is based which is unfamiliar to me... ( )
  susan259 | Jan 21, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
A wonderful story.....a mixture of Mongolia, Genghis Khan & Maid Maleen.

A young woman, Dashti, is bound by oath to Lady Saren, the daughter of a Lord...who is to be sealed in a tower for seven years. After three years they escape, only to find the town completely destroyed by the malevolent Lord who wishes to marry Lady Saren.

I won't tell you more, but the story was so compelling, I read it in less than 6 hours. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Smith, AliCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, James NoelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, PattiCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Victoria
To the girl and the geese nine others said, Nay! But you poured me some tea and asked me to stay And built me a cottage at Bloomsbury Place With pillows on chairs and sun on my face. Our fifth together is me hugging you; May dozens more follow before we are through.
Day 1: My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years.
PLEASE NOTE:
The lengthy list of "Cast Member"s are for the Unabridged Audiobook version, produced and published by Full Cast Audio for Family Listening, NOT a film version.

When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a towe for seven years because of Saren's  refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment. As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of two of Saren's suitors--one welcome, the other decidedly less so--the girls are confronted with both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desparate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows. The Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Maid Maleen, is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes. [adapted from book jacket]

When a beautiful princess refuses to marry the prince her father has chosen, her father is furious and locks her in a tower. She has seven long years of solitude to think about her insolence. But the princess is not entirely alone - she has her maid, Dashti. Petulant and spoilt, the princess eats the food in their meagre store as if she were still at court, and Dashti soon realises they must either escape or slowly starve. But during their captivity, resourceful Dashti discovers that there is something far more sinister behind her princess's fears of marrying the prince, and when they do break free from the tower, they find a land laid to waste and the kingdom destroyed. They were safe in the tower, now they are at the mercy of the evil prince with a terrible secret. Thrilling, captivating, and a masterful example of storytelling at its best. The princess's maid is a feisty and thoroughly modern heroine, in this wonderfully timeless story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:15 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Dashti, sworn to obey her sixteen-year-old mistress, the Lady Saren, shares Saren's years of punishment locked in a tower, then brings her safely to the lands of her true love, where both must hide who they are as they work as kitchen maids.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible