Book of a thousand days by Shannon Hale

Book of a thousand days (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Shannon Hale (Author), James Noel Smith (Illustrator)

1,541None4,753 (3.98)106
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Book of a thousand days
Authors:Shannon Hale (Author)
Other authors:James Noel Smith (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Bloomsbury : Distributed to the trade by Holtzbrinck Publishers, 2007.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, age: young adult, type: trade paperback, read 2013

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (2007)

Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are Asian-inspired fairy tales that focus on the main character's strength of will and strength of mind. A different, but equally effective kind of bravery and girl power.
    Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (meggyweg)
    Snow by Tracy Lynn (Nikkles)
    Ever by Gail Carson Levine (foggidawn)
    Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher (foggidawn)

English (121)  Spanish (1)  All languages (122)
This book, though written really well, isn't what I was expecting, and it's not really the genre that I enjoy.
It did have some very interesting parts though, and I particularly liked the ending. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Young Reader Reaction: I enjoyed the story and I would buy this book as a gift. I thought it was rather weird that the evil guy was likened to a wolf and those characteristics made his whole army turn against him. It was really cool that Khan Tagis started to like the maid just by talking to her and finding things they had in common. Lady Saren was kind of useless until she did something useful at Tagis' castle. She was really the stereotypical princess: crying, whining, selfish. I liked her after she started giving instead of always taking.

Pros: This is a meaty fairy tale that young readers (especially girls) will like.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Dec 27, 2013 |
I can't say this was a bad book, really, but particularly in the beginning, it felt like it was meant for a lot younger audience than what I imagine YA stands for. Quite frankly, it was often boring, and the princess (Saren) is a real drip. Dashti was more interesting, but being locked up in a tower doesn't make for interesting reading. It got a bit better when they finally got out, but even then, everything seemed to be taking too long. Only in the last third did I think things got a bit better, and Dashti does some very cool things. In the last few pages even the princess wakes up a bit, but that took far too long for my taste. I would have liked this book a lot better if the two could have worked together, instead of Dashti taking care of everything. At least that would have made things less boring.
I'm sure people will say that the characters develop well in this book, but I thought it was a bit contrived. Yes, Saren finally finds her courage by the end of the book and Dashti finally disobeys her mistress and learns that there are things more important to her than food, but the way it is described is as if this is a story that someone has thought up (which of course it is) and not as if it really happens.
Anyway, I would have given this book 2 stars, except that the ending made it a bit better. ( )
  zjakkelien | Dec 27, 2013 |
A fantasy, young adult story, written by Shannon Hale, a Newberry honor book author. The story is a rewrite of Maid Maleen, a Grimm's Fairy Tale story. The story is inspired by medieval Mongolia. It is a romance story. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mixon, ChelseaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, AliCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, James NoelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Victoria
To the girl and the geese nine others said, Nay! But you poured me some tea and asked me to stay And built me a cottage at Bloomsbury Place With pillows on chairs and sun on my face. Our fifth together is me hugging you; May dozens more follow before we are through.
Day 1: My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years.

When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a towe for seven years because of Saren's to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment. As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of two of Saren's suitors--one welcome, the other decidedly less so--the girls are confronted with both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desparate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows. The Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Maid Maleen, is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes. [adapted from book jacket]

When a beautiful princess refuses to marry the prince her father has chosen, her father is furious and locks her in a tower. She has seven long years of solitude to think about her insolence. But the princess is not entirely alone - she has her maid, Dashti. Petulant and spoilt, the princess eats the food in their meagre store as if she were still at court, and Dashti soon realises they must either escape or slowly starve. But during their captivity, resourceful Dashti discovers that there is something far more sinister behind her princess's fears of marrying the prince, and when they do break free from the tower, they find a land laid to waste and the kingdom destroyed. They were safe in the tower, now they are at the mercy of the evil prince with a terrible secret. Thrilling, captivating, and a masterful example of storytelling at its best. The princess's maid is a feisty and thoroughly modern heroine, in this wonderfully timeless story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:36 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Dashti, sworn to obey her sixteen-year-old mistress, the Lady Saren, shares Saren's years of punishment locked in a tower, then brings her safely to the lands of her true love, where both must hide who they are as they work as kitchen maids.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,443,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible