Book of a thousand days by Shannon Hale

Book of a thousand days (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Shannon Hale (Author), James Noel Smith (Illustrator)

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Book of a thousand days
Authors:Shannon Hale (Author)
Other authors:James Noel Smith (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Bloomsbury : Distributed to the trade by Holtzbrinck Publishers, 2007.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, age: young adult, type: trade paperback, read 2013

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (2007)

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (meggyweg)
    Bound by Donna Jo Napoli (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are Asian-inspired fairy tales that focus on the main character's strength of will and strength of mind. A different, but equally effective kind of bravery and girl power.
    Thorn by Intisar Khanani (Hollerama)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Hollerama)
    Snow by Tracy Lynn (Nikkles)
    Alphabet of Dreams by Susan Fletcher (foggidawn)
    Ever by Gail Carson Levine (foggidawn)

English (120)  Spanish (1)  All languages (121)
Loved this book! It's an old Grimm Brothers fairy tale retold by Shannon Hale. A young "mucker" girl (peasant from the hills) ends up in the city working as a lady's maid for a young "gentry" class girl who's being shut up in a tower for 7 years because she won't marry the man her father wants her to. The story is told in diary form by Dashti, the maid. It's compelling and the characters are believable. You want the hero to win and the villain to lose. It's how the author gets us there that is surprising! Vintage Shannon Hale. ( )
  JenW1 | May 8, 2014 |
A compelling read, with complex characters, excellent worldbuilding, suspense, and a satisfying resolution. ( )
  castiron | Apr 19, 2014 |
This book, though written really well, isn't what I was expecting, and it's not really the genre that I enjoy.
It did have some very interesting parts though, and I particularly liked the ending. ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Young Reader Reaction: I enjoyed the story and I would buy this book as a gift. I thought it was rather weird that the evil guy was likened to a wolf and those characteristics made his whole army turn against him. It was really cool that Khan Tagis started to like the maid just by talking to her and finding things they had in common. Lady Saren was kind of useless until she did something useful at Tagis' castle. She was really the stereotypical princess: crying, whining, selfish. I liked her after she started giving instead of always taking.

Pros: This is a meaty fairy tale that young readers (especially girls) will like.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Dec 27, 2013 |

Smith, AliCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, James NoelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, PattiCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Victoria
To the girl and the geese nine others said, Nay! But you poured me some tea and asked me to stay And built me a cottage at Bloomsbury Place With pillows on chairs and sun on my face. Our fifth together is me hugging you; May dozens more follow before we are through.
Day 1: My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years.

When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a towe for seven years because of Saren's to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment. As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of two of Saren's suitors--one welcome, the other decidedly less so--the girls are confronted with both hope and great danger, and Dashti must make the desparate choices of a girl whose life is worth more than she knows. The Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Maid Maleen, is reimagined and reset on the central Asian steppes. [adapted from book jacket]

When a beautiful princess refuses to marry the prince her father has chosen, her father is furious and locks her in a tower. She has seven long years of solitude to think about her insolence. But the princess is not entirely alone - she has her maid, Dashti. Petulant and spoilt, the princess eats the food in their meagre store as if she were still at court, and Dashti soon realises they must either escape or slowly starve. But during their captivity, resourceful Dashti discovers that there is something far more sinister behind her princess's fears of marrying the prince, and when they do break free from the tower, they find a land laid to waste and the kingdom destroyed. They were safe in the tower, now they are at the mercy of the evil prince with a terrible secret. Thrilling, captivating, and a masterful example of storytelling at its best. The princess's maid is a feisty and thoroughly modern heroine, in this wonderfully timeless story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:36 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Dashti, sworn to obey her sixteen-year-old mistress, the Lady Saren, shares Saren's years of punishment locked in a tower, then brings her safely to the lands of her true love, where both must hide who they are as they work as kitchen maids.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible