Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, Book…

Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Michelle Sagara

Member:BevyAnn
Title:Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, Book 3)
Authors:Michelle Sagara
Info:Luna (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:shifter, witch, supernatural, Read but unowned, Favorites

Cast in Secret by Michelle Sagara

Recently added byCristinaLogg, blhylton, mguernsey, mab98, Cynical_Ames, private library

Cast in Secret follows on a few days after the second book in the series, Cast in Courtlight. In this instalment a prophetic dream so strong that all of the Oracles even the apprentices receive the same vision, the end of life itself. One very powerful Oracle focuses on Kaylin and begins painting a picture of her on his wall. He is so powerful that he is disabled by his gift. He doesn't speak, he doesn't sleep and he doesn't react like a normal person, his only form of expression is drawing and painting so Kaylin and co. have to determine who or what could be behind this and how to stop it.

Kaylin learns more about the Tha'alani, a telepathic race who can search a person's memory which most find unnerving including Kaylin, and to a lesser extent the Dragons and the Oracles. Kaylin sees Severn in a slightly different light as a Wolf instead of as a Hawk but also how he approaches the Tha'alani - without fear and with a little envy I think. She also learns more about herself, and of the others that have had the marks she has. We are introduced to the elements earth, air, fire and water with the emphasis on water but I won't go into this as I don't want to give anything away.

In every book so far (this is the third - the first being Cast in Shadow and the second, Cast in Courtlight) Kaylin has been working through her harrowing past and has been trying to move on. We see her grow not just in her power but as a person and that for me made this an interesting read.

There is still plenty of danger surrounding Kaylin especially since it looks like she will be meeting the Dragon Emperor soon. I really enjoyed learning about the Tha'alani, and their history as a people, they are a very interesting race. This series is progressing really well and I'm looking forward to reading the next book, Cast in Fury.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
It took me way too long to read this book, reading shouldn't be a chore.
Thankfully the ending made up for the dragging pace of the rest of the book. Although I'm still going to take a break from this series for awhile ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Definitely not as good as the first two in the series. I still intend on reading the others in the series. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |

Plot: 5 stars
Characters: 4 1/2stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 4 1/2 stars

I think this may be my favorite of the Elantra books yet. It was hard to put down for bed last night. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Well worth reading from the library if you liked the earlier books in the series. ( )
  Julie_loves_to_read | Mar 31, 2013 |
This one is for my kids - and peers - in Makaveli, on Shadowsong /bonk /hug /love
Private Kaylin Neya studied the duty roster, and given how little she studied anything that wasn't somehow involved with a corpse, this said something.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802838, Mass Market Paperback)

Still avoiding magic whenever possible, Private Kaylin Neya relished investigating a run-of-the-mill theft. Until she found out the mysterious stolen box had been taken from Elani Street, where the mages and charlatans mingled, and it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two. And since the box was ancient, without a keyhole, and held tremendous darkness inside, Kaylin knew unknown forces were again playing with her destiny—and her life.…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:40 -0400)

Still avoiding magic whenever possible, Private Kaylin Neya relished investigating a run-of-the-mill theft. Until she found out the mysterious stolen box had been taken from Elani Street, where the mages and charlatans mingled, and it was sometimes hard to tell the difference between the two. And since the box was ancient, without a keyhole, and held tremendous darkness inside, Kaylin knew unknown forces were again playing with her destiny - and her life...--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

91 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,324,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible