The Losers (Vol. 1): Ante Up by Andy Diggle

The Losers (Vol. 1): Ante Up

by Andy Diggle

It's hard to know what to say about The Losers. First of all, I enjoyed it. I love heist stories, or really, any kind of story that sets a complicated plan in motion, only to have everything go horribly wrong.

But, as a consequence of the type of story this is, I have to confess that it's a little formulaic and lazy in terms of characterization. It doesn't help that the story pretty much starts in medias res. In short order, we meet the squad (the wacky computer guy, the silent-but-deadly sniper, the big burly vehicle guy, the taciturn leader, the untrustworthy outsider, etc.) and learn that they're out for revenge against the evil secret government agency that tried to kill them. They pull a job to get things started before moving on to a much bigger job. But then there's a big twist! Except it's not really that much of a twist, and the only reason you can't really see it coming is that you haven't really had much of a chance to get to know any of the characters involved.

So, yes, it's formulaic, and reading it feels like reading just about any of a thousand similar stories. It reminds me in a lot of ways of 100 Bullets, although so far it's a lot less complex. Sometimes, though, there's nothing wrong with familiarity. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, which is surprisingly short. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |

Collects no. 1-6 of "The Losers" in which former CIA operatives, who were believed to have died on a mission, discover a conspiracy within the organization and fight to take it down.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible