Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Once you told yourself a story enough times, it was so easy to keep on believing it.
Wow, this was kind of a big disappointment.

Honestly, the first half before Tally showed up was way better. Speshul Tally was Extra Speshul Tally sometimes and it really dragged down the story with her angry sanctimoniousness. Aya, besides that, was quite annoying most of the time, and I feel like very few people actually learned any real lessons and changed in any real, deep way; other than being perhaps a bit less fame-seeking. Except that they all were famous by the end! So none of it really mattered anyway! And the whole, ~it was all just a big misunderstanding~ was way too much like those crappy Scooby Doo episodes where the bad guy wasn't evil and no one goes to jail at the end (I hated those episodes so much). Also, um, I'm sorry but stealing metal internationally doesn't seem like something that everyone would just forget about and be like, "oh no worries! you're going to space! it's totally okay for you to steal all our metal!" Also, I mean, come on. Extra-terrestrials? Really, Scott Westerfeld? That was the best you could come up with?

I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of a love triangle, though. But that doesn't make up for the overall clicheness and cringiness of the love story that existed.

Man, Scott, I'm counting on you to not mess up [b:Impostors|37825397|Impostors (Uglies, #5)|Scott Westerfeld|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1523743739s/37825397.jpg|59503640] ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
I wish I could have read this book without the intrusion of Tally, Shay, and other characters. I was fascinated with the idea of the reputation economy and the way that played out through the internet. I enjoyed Aya's transformation from a young girl who wants to make her reputation to a person who cares about things and people outside of herself. She read very true to me, and she actually reminded me a bit of the Tally I loved so from [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255574770s/24770.jpg|2895388].

This book made me wish I could explore more of Westerfield's world. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Really good addition to the series. I'm impressed that Westerfeld doesn't get lazy - this book would have sold even if he just churned it out. However, he introduces new characters, a new locale, new themes, and cool new inventions. I liked no longer seeing things from Tally's perspective; instead, we have a new narrator, one who ends up with ambivalent feelings towards Tally. Write on, Westerfeld, write on. Young adult fiction. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This book was enjoyable, but not on the same level as the first three. This is because this book focused on a whole new set of characters and locations and only brought Tally/Shay/David back as "extras" toward the end. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
With its combination of high-stakes melodrama, cinematic action and thought-provoking insight into some really thorny questions of human nature, the new novel, like its predecessors, is a superb piece of popular art, reminiscent less of other young adult books than of another pop masterpiece, the revived “Battlestar Galactica.”
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, James Hynes (Nov 11, 2007)

Aya and her friends are some of the most interesting, flawed and inspirational people I've met in a young adult novel, making this yet another great Westerfeld to use in turning your kids onto sf.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2007)

Part I: Watch This

You all say you need us. Well, maybe you do, but not to help you. You have enough help, with the millions of bubbly new minds about to be unleashed, with all the cities coming awake at last. Together, you're more than enough to change the world without us. So from now on, David and I are here to stand in your way. You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

- Tally Youngblood
To everyone who wrote to me to reveal the secret definition of the word "trilogy."
"Moggle," Aya whispered. "You awake?"

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.

Now that the world is in a complete cultural renaissance, fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse, an Extra, just wants to lay low, so when she discovers the secret lives of the Sly Girls, she wants to report their story, but Aya knows that would propel her into celebrity--a status she's not prepared for.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,067,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible