Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Title:Extras
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2007), Hardcover, 432 pages

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Right, so first thing's first: I read this a long time ago, it's the only book of the Uglies series I've read, and I actually didn't read all of it (I had a hard time reading anything in high school). I'll have to read it again someday, along with the other three, but I think I got enough of a read from it to determine if it was any good. I love concept of this, especially because at least the modification aspect is a possible future reality. Also, as a manga fan, I love the anime eyes thing going on. Since this was set a couple years after the last of the first three, I wasn't as confused as I would have been if I'd started with Pretties or Specials. I still feel that I need to read all of the books to truly grasp the whole story, which I plan to do in the future. When I do re-read this, I'll modify this review. ( )
  LunaraDawn | Dec 12, 2014 |
So, it's a couple of years after the end of 'Specials', and we're introduced to a new character and a city where your worth is determined by YouTube the reputation economy. It sort of felt like this story was set in Japan, just so the characters could have "Manga Eyes" and a few other cultural references. I liked the new characters, and it was good to see some of the old characters too. I liked it more than I expected to. ( )
  knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |
  knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |
Save The World! ( )
  joyelett | Sep 18, 2014 |
I thought there were only three in the series, but surprise! I actually really liked this one. I liked the ending better than Specials, although I figured out the ending half way through the book. It was still a good ride. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
With its combination of high-stakes melodrama, cinematic action and thought-provoking insight into some really thorny questions of human nature, the new novel, like its predecessors, is a superb piece of popular art, reminiscent less of other young adult books than of another pop masterpiece, the revived “Battlestar Galactica.”
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, James Hynes (Nov 11, 2007)

Aya and her friends are some of the most interesting, flawed and inspirational people I've met in a young adult novel, making this yet another great Westerfeld to use in turning your kids onto sf.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2007)

Part I: Watch This

You all say you need us. Well, maybe you do, but not to help you. You have enough help, with the millions of bubbly new minds about to be unleashed, with all the cities coming awake at last. Together, you're more than enough to change the world without us. So from now on, David and I are here to stand in your way. You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

- Tally Youngblood
To everyone who wrote to me to reveal the secret definition of the word "trilogy."
"Moggle," Aya whispered. "You awake?"

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.

Now that the world is in a complete cultural renaissance, fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse, an Extra, just wants to lay low, so when she discovers the secret lives of the Sly Girls, she wants to report their story, but Aya knows that would propel her into celebrity--a status she's not prepared for.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible