Extras (Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Extras (Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Young Adult Fiction, Fiction
Rating:**

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

I thought there were only three in the series, but surprise! I actually really liked this one. I liked the ending better than Specials, although I figured out the ending half way through the book. It was still a good ride. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
still dont like Tally.. and why Japan? ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
More and more, when I read a Scott Westerfeld book, I think "Why did I read a Scott Westerfeld book?" You can tell his audience is the teenager, and everyone says he's going to be as big as Heinlein in the future. Maybe I'm just too old to be part of his audience anymore. Maybe I'm just sick of the Uglies universe. Maybe I get tired of reading about whiny, self-centered teenagers who engage in purposelessly risky behavior in an increasingly implausible world.

Sorry, I'm bitter. I keep wanting to like Westerfeld, but I'm tired of each book being the same. Each story seems like it will be epic, but it comes out as flaccid pulp fiction. The themes aren't particularly engaging, and the man has a lot of trouble writing action sequences. I don't care about what it feels like to skate on a hoverboard on an El train like Back to the Future, or swinging through the jungle like Spider-Man. I've got Back to the Future and Spider-Man for that. All I want to do is skip them and move the plot along. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 24, 2014 |
A well told adventure set in a future where the populace is contained in idyllic enclaves devoted to a luxuriant yet regimented lifestyle. This becomes a somewhat typical story of how the heroine learns more about the secrets behind those cities and how they work to subvert them. However, the story never lags and the use of cosmetic surgery to produce perfect faces and bodies (based on human evolution) adds a unique touch. Recommended if you enjoyed the Hunger Games (though it was written prior to that series). ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |
With its combination of high-stakes melodrama, cinematic action and thought-provoking insight into some really thorny questions of human nature, the new novel, like its predecessors, is a superb piece of popular art, reminiscent less of other young adult books than of another pop masterpiece, the revived “Battlestar Galactica.”
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, James Hynes (Nov 11, 2007)

Aya and her friends are some of the most interesting, flawed and inspirational people I've met in a young adult novel, making this yet another great Westerfeld to use in turning your kids onto sf.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2007)

Part I: Watch This

You all say you need us. Well, maybe you do, but not to help you. You have enough help, with the millions of bubbly new minds about to be unleashed, with all the cities coming awake at last. Together, you're more than enough to change the world without us. So from now on, David and I are here to stand in your way. You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

- Tally Youngblood
To everyone who wrote to me to reveal the secret definition of the word "trilogy."
"Moggle," Aya whispered. "You awake?"

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.

Now that the world is in a complete cultural renaissance, fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse, an Extra, just wants to lay low, so when she discovers the secret lives of the Sly Girls, she wants to report their story, but Aya knows that would propel her into celebrity--a status she's not prepared for.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible