Extras (Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Extras (Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (4)

Title:Extras (Uglies)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Young Adult Fiction, Fiction

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

this is the perfect cap to a terrific series. set a few years after the original trilogy, it is like the best epilogue ever. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
What if being popular or famous defined who you were, how much money you made, what kind of house you got to live in. Perhaps our world is a bit like that, but what if you were famous or popular just based on how many times someone said your name. We get a different twist on this new world that Tally helped create with a face ranking system. In this final novel though, we go back and explore the humans using up the earth's resources too fast and how far certain people would be willing to go to stop it. It was different than the first three books and I was afraid at first that it wouldn't really fit in with the series, in spite of being in the same world. I was proven wrong and ended up really enjoying the book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Maybe I should not have read this 4th book immediately after reading the first 3 books. At first I thought it could be good. I liked the way he portrayed this new world where it's all about being known. Everybody uses the internet (feed) and tries to be famous. That was interesting but I think it became all a bit too ridiculous after she did tell her big scoop and every body started to chase her. Not sure if it is the book or it is just me. Looking forward now to read something different. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
After Tally Youngblood destroys the Pretties' society in [book: Specials], the whole world has to figure out what to do with their newfound freedom. One city decides to use merits (earned by doing work for the society) and facerank (earned by number of people talking about you) to dole out the limited resources. Aya, a girl raised in this society, is obsessed with earning fame. Pursuing fame as an undercover reporter, she finds an underground cavern and an unbelieavable secret.

Westerfield is playing off the YouTube and social sites phenomenoms, but aside from his clever twist on the concept there's not a lot to this book. The plot never gripped me and I never warmed to Aya. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
With its combination of high-stakes melodrama, cinematic action and thought-provoking insight into some really thorny questions of human nature, the new novel, like its predecessors, is a superb piece of popular art, reminiscent less of other young adult books than of another pop masterpiece, the revived “Battlestar Galactica.”
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, James Hynes (Nov 11, 2007)
Aya and her friends are some of the most interesting, flawed and inspirational people I've met in a young adult novel, making this yet another great Westerfeld to use in turning your kids onto sf.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2007)
Part I: Watch This

You all say you need us. Well, maybe you do, but not to help you. You have enough help, with the millions of bubbly new minds about to be unleashed, with all the cities coming awake at last. Together, you're more than enough to change the world without us. So from now on, David and I are here to stand in your way. You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

- Tally Youngblood
To everyone who wrote to me to reveal the secret definition of the word "trilogy."
"Moggle," Aya whispered. "You awake?"

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.

Now that the world is in a complete cultural renaissance, fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse, an Extra, just wants to lay low, so when she discovers the secret lives of the Sly Girls, she wants to report their story, but Aya knows that would propel her into celebrity--a status she's not prepared for.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,813,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible