Extras (The Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld

Extras (The Uglies) (edition 2011)

by Scott Westerfeld

Series: Uglies (4)

Member:iswimmin
Title:Extras (The Uglies)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

I wish I could have read this book without the intrusion of Tally, Shay, and other characters. I was fascinated with the idea of the reputation economy and the way that played out through the internet. I enjoyed Aya's transformation from a young girl who wants to make her reputation to a person who cares about things and people outside of herself. She read very true to me, and she actually reminded me a bit of the Tally I loved so from [b:Uglies|24770|Uglies (Uglies, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255574770s/24770.jpg|2895388].

This book made me wish I could explore more of Westerfield's world. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Really good addition to the series. I'm impressed that Westerfeld doesn't get lazy - this book would have sold even if he just churned it out. However, he introduces new characters, a new locale, new themes, and cool new inventions. I liked no longer seeing things from Tally's perspective; instead, we have a new narrator, one who ends up with ambivalent feelings towards Tally. Write on, Westerfeld, write on. Young adult fiction. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This book was enjoyable, but not on the same level as the first three. This is because this book focused on a whole new set of characters and locations and only brought Tally/Shay/David back as "extras" toward the end. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
It's just not the same if it's not from Tally's POV. And just as with Uglies, Pretties, and Specials, the book starts out slow and then picks up speed.

In the first three novels, the main mode of transportation and majority of the time was spent flying on hoverboards. In this novel, especially the first third, Aya spends time getting into this click to ride the Mag-lev trains. Aya is seriously obsessed with kicking a big time story, kind of like a reporter, so much so that she goes, or rather is forced, undercover. The slant that I could appreciate was that their economic system was based on merits and how famous you are. Which, in Aya's teenage mind, she would do anything to kick that big story in order to fit in and raise her "face rank."

I honestly think the author is just all about the stunts. Kicking tricks like a littlie. The real plot doesn't really unfold until the last third of the novel. The middle third just barely touches the beginning of the plot.

I liked Aya, and Ren, and Hiro. I liked that this book was in a different culture. I always liked how the author references our time, the time of the "Rusties" and makes it seem like we were so barbaric. Kind of funny.

I'm glad they brought Tally back in and gave us a bit of closure on a few things. But it would have been so much better in her POV.

Clean read. ( )
  LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |
With its combination of high-stakes melodrama, cinematic action and thought-provoking insight into some really thorny questions of human nature, the new novel, like its predecessors, is a superb piece of popular art, reminiscent less of other young adult books than of another pop masterpiece, the revived “Battlestar Galactica.”
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, James Hynes (Nov 11, 2007)

Aya and her friends are some of the most interesting, flawed and inspirational people I've met in a young adult novel, making this yet another great Westerfeld to use in turning your kids onto sf.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 30, 2007)

Part I: Watch This

You all say you need us. Well, maybe you do, but not to help you. You have enough help, with the millions of bubbly new minds about to be unleashed, with all the cities coming awake at last. Together, you're more than enough to change the world without us. So from now on, David and I are here to stand in your way. You see, freedom has a way of destroying things.

- Tally Youngblood
To everyone who wrote to me to reveal the secret definition of the word "trilogy."
"Moggle," Aya whispered. "You awake?"

It's a few years after rebel Tally Youngblood took down the uglies/pretties/specials regime. Without those strict roles and rules, the world is in a complete cultural renaissance. "Tech-heads" flaunt their latest gadgets, "kickers" spread gossip and trends, and "surge monkeys" are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. And it's all monitored on a bazillion different cameras. The world is like a gigantic game of American Idol. Whoever is getting the most buzz gets the most votes. Popularity rules.

Now that the world is in a complete cultural renaissance, fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse, an Extra, just wants to lay low, so when she discovers the secret lives of the Sly Girls, she wants to report their story, but Aya knows that would propel her into celebrity--a status she's not prepared for.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,691,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible