Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching:…

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace,… (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Thich Nhat Hanh (Author)

Member:Blondie539
Title:The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation
Authors:Thich Nhat Hanh (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (1999), Edition: 1st Broadway Books trade pbk. ed, 304 pages
Tags:currently-reading

The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation by Thích Nhất Hạnh (Author) (1998)

Recently added byMiaMBT, christianbusch50, private library, scarecrowcity, zappbabbit, rsk97, INorris

English (11)  French (1)  All languages (12)
Some good insights mixed with 80% drivel. ( )
  travelster | Feb 13, 2019 |
This should be considered a reference book of Buddhist terminology and dogma. As a reference book, it needs stronger editing and indexing. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone outside of an academic context. ( )
  jmilloy | Dec 4, 2017 |
This is a bit deeper than most of the other books I have read by Hanh. I found it to be a very thorough introduction to Hanh's own particular school of Buddhism, along with tidbits about some of the other schools and the history of the development of Buddhism. The primary focus, though, was on the central tenets of Buddhism. the final third of the book gets a bit too deep for my taste, and due to the density of information left me a little overwhelmed. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |

A book by a prominent Buddhist monk outlining key teachings of Buddhism. I started off rather liking it as an approach to mindfulness and how to process suffering and the good things about life. But after he Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, I started to get a bit irritated with the constant discovery of new lists of important spiritual things, from the Two Truths up to the Twelve Links of Interdependent Co-Arising; it seems to me that over-describing the undescribable is fundamentally a mistake. I also started wondering to what extent Thich Nhat Hanh is presenting a mainstream account of Buddhism or his own particular take (or his school's). And I wonder also if there is much sense of the numinous in Buddhism; there didn't seem a lot here. Anyway, it is still the most interesting book by a Buddhist on Buddhism that I have read. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 7, 2012 |
"Let us look at a wave on the surface of the ocean. A wave is a wave. It has a beginning and an end. It might be high or low, more or less beautiful than other waves. But a wave is, at the same time, water. Water is the ground of being of the wave. It is important that a wave knows that she is water, and not just a wave. We, too, live our life as an individual. We believe that we have a beginning and an end, that we are separate from other living beings. That is why the Buddha advised us to look more deeply in order to touch the ground of our being which is nirvana. Everything bears deeply the nature of nirvana. Everything has been 'nirvanized' That is the teaching of the LOTUS SUTRA. We look deeply, and we touch the suchness of reality. Looking deeply into a pebble, flower, or our own joy, peace, sorrow, or fear, we touch the ultimate dimension of our being, and that dimension will reveal to us that the ground of our being has the nature of no-birth and no-death.
"We don't have to ATTAIN nirvana, because we ourselves are always dwelling in nirvana. The wave does not have to look for water. It already is water." pg. 211

"...The Buddha said that in the depth of our store consciousness, alayavijnana, there are all kinds of positive and negative seeds - seeds of anger, delusion, and fear, and seeds of understanding, compassion, and forgiveness. Many of these seeds have been transmitted to us by our ancestors. We should learn to recognize every one of these seeds in us in order to practice diligence. If it is a negative seed, the seed of an affliction like anger, fear, jealousy, or discrimination, we should refrain from allowing it to be watered in our daily life. Every time such a seed is watered, it will manifest on the upper level of our consciousness, and we will suffer and make the people we love suffer at the same time. The practice is to refrain from watering the negative seeds in us....
"We also try to recognize the positive seeds that are in us and to live our daily life in a way that we can touch them and help them manifest on the upper level of our consciousness, manovijnana. Every time they manifest and stay on the upper level of our consciousness for a while, they grow stronger. If the positive seeds in us grow stronger day and night, we will be happy and we will make the people we love happy. Recognize the positive seeds in the person you love, water those seeds, and he will become much happier.... Whenever you have time, please water the seeds that need to be watered. It is a wonderful and very pleasant practice of diligence, and it brings immediate results.
"Imagine a circle divided in two. Below is the store consciousness and above is mind consciousness. All mental formations lie deep down in our store consciousness. Every seed in our store consciousness can be touched and manifests itself on the upper level, namely our mind consciousness. Continued practice means trying our best not to allow the negative seeds in our store consciousness to be touched in our daily life, not to give them a chance to manifest themselves. The seeds of anger, discrimination, despair, jealousy, and craving are all there. We do what we can to prevent them from coming up. We tell the people we live with, 'If you truly love me, don't water these seeds in me. It is not good for my health or yours.' We have to recognized the kinds of seeds not to be watered. If it happens that a negative seed, the seed of an affliction, is watered and manifests itself, we do everything in our power to embrace it with our mindfulness and help it return to where it came from. The longer such seeds stay in our mind consciousness, the stronger they become." pg. 206-207
  Mary_Overton | Dec 12, 2010 |
Buddha was not a god.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767903692, Paperback)

What should we think when on the one hand Buddhism tells us that life is suffering and on the other we are told to enjoy life's every moment? Loved around the world for his simple, straightforward explanations of Buddhism, Thich Nhat Hanh has finally turned his hand to the very core of Buddhism and conundrums such as this. In the traditional way, Thich Nhat Hanh takes up the core teachings one by one--the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the Twelve Links of Interdependent Co-Arising--but his approach is as fresh as a soft breeze through a plum orchard. For illustration, he dips into the vast stores of Buddhist literature right alongside contemporary anecdotes, pointing out subtleties that can get glossed over in other popular introductions. He also includes three short but key sutras, essential source teachings from which all Buddhism flows. Studying the basics of Buddhism under Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh is like learning basketball from Michael Jordan. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

Now in paperback--the comprehensive introduction to core Buddhist teachings from the beloved Vietnamese monk whose bestselling books have inspired thousands. 8 line drawings. Charts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible