The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident…

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident (edition 1987)

by Elie Wiesel, Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)

Member:frichadaran
Title:The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)
Info:Hill and Wang (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 317 pages

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, and Day by Elie Wiesel

English (11)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (13)
The first book of this trilogy is a memoir followed by two novels that explore how holocaust survivors lives are altered. I was horrified and hypnotized with the memoir. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 28, 2014 |
This trilogy includes: Night, Dawn and The Accident.
  HolocaustMuseum | Mar 5, 2014 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2013 |
The Night Trilogy by Elie Wiesel. Epiphany-OviedoELCA library section 7 B: The Church in the World, Politics/War/Peace. This book encompasses three works by Holocaust survivor Wiesel: Night, first published in 1960, his memoir of life in three concentration camps; Dawn, a fictional work about a young Holocaust survivor who is recruited as a terrorist against the British occupation of Palestine before the creation of the nation of Israel; and The Accident, a novella that asks the question whether Holocaust survivors can forge a new life without the memories of the old.
In Night, Wiesel says, it is the “I” that speaks. In the other two narratives, it is the “I” who listens and questions. I found Night to be frightening, but very necessary to read. Only by reading memoirs of Holocaust survivors can we identify similar persecution in today’s world and call it by its real name without euphemism, without turning away. This is why film director Steven Spielberg began recording and documenting the memories of concentration camp survivors. Such memories are extremely painful. For example, my brother-in-law’s mother was a Holocaust survivor. At the end of her life, in need of pain medication, she could not take some of them because they caused her to hallucinate that she was back in the concentration camp. How difficult to carry such a psychic burden throughout one’s life!
Perhaps by writing this memoir, Wiesel was able to put some of his painful memories to rest. Or perhaps, though painful to relate, it was a way to help new generations grapple with the horrors and inhumanity of those events. Or perhaps writing it was a way to honor his immediate family and the millions whose lives and possessions were stolen.
In Dawn, the survivor becomes executioner; his job is to execute a British citizen as revenge for the hanging of a Jewish freedom fighter. Can a survivor, in turn, become executioner?
Of course, in each of these narratives, the author is dealing with deep questions: how could God allow the Holocaust to happen? Where was God then? Why were the survivors chosen to live? How does one deal with survivor guilt? Would it have been better to die? How can one live the rest of one’s life having seen the horrors of the camps? What are the limits of the spirit? What are the limits of the self? If you wish to grapple with such questions and find some answers, give this volume a read. If nothing else, read Night, the first in the trilogy, a masterpiece of Holocaust literature. ( )
  Epiphany-OviedoELCA | Nov 14, 2011 |
Heartbreaking but true, Night is a book that touches your very soul. The author is right when he explains that mere words do not carry enough weight to describe the events which occurred during WWII. Words take on new meaning when heard in this story. It is truly a time that we should never forget--for so many reasons!

Just finished Dawn. Not as good as Night but I loved the idea behind the book. An interesting look into the question of what does it take to turn a victim into a killer? At what point does being committed to a religious cause become terrorism? When do the good guys turn into bad guys?
I found that I totally agree with the fact that a killer with a heart/conscience would not want his victim to become real to him...killing would only be doable if the victim had no personality, no face, no words....

Dawn was a lot slower and more repetitive than Night. I liked Night better--it captured and held my attention. Hoping that Day will be better than Dawn.

Day--I am struck by the fact that the protagonist is indifferent to whether he is alive or dead, but is brought to tears with emotion when he discovers that he still has a voice. Is that not a powerful statement about a person who has lived through the Holocaust? They got to the point where death no longer scared them, but what they really longed for was a voice/an identity. Man longs to be HEARD. ( )
  Venqat65 | Jun 30, 2010 |
In memory of
my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora (E.W.)

This new translation
in memory of
my grandparents Abba, Sarah, and Nachman,
who also vanished into that night (M.W.)
"They call him Moishe the Beadle, as if his entire life he had never had a surname."
If in my lifetime I was to write only one book, this would be the one.
Omnibus edition, includes Night, Dawn, and Day (Consisting of a memoir, translated by Marion Wiesel, and two novels).

Night is one of the masterpieces of Holocaust literature. First published in 1960, it is the autobiographical account of an adolescent boy and his father in Auschwitz. Wiesel writes of their battle for survival, and of his battle with God for a way to understand the wanton cruelty he witnesses each day.

In the short novel Dawn (1961), a young man who has survived the Second World War and settled in Palestine is apprenticed to a Jewish terrorist gang. Command to execute a British officer who has been taken hostage, the former victim becomes an executioner.

In The Accident, (1962), Wiesel again turns to fiction to question the limits of the spirit and the self: Can Holocaust survivors forge a new life without the memories of the old? As the author writes in his introduction, "In Night it is the 'I' who speaks; in the other two [narratives], it is the 'I' who listens and questions."

Wiesel's trilogy offers meditations on mankind's attraction to violence and on temptation of self-destruction.

A Hill & Wang Teacher's Guide is available for this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:34 -0400)

Three works deal with a concentration camp survivor, a hostage holder in Palestine, and a recovering accident victim.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible