The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident…

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident (edition 1987)

by Elie Wiesel, Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)

Member:frichadaran
Title:The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)
Info:Hill and Wang (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 317 pages

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, and Day by Elie Wiesel

English (12)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (14)
The first book made me cry; the second book made me think; the third book had me soul-searching. Each is so different yet communicates a range of emotions, thoughts and insights that are incredibly different. (I thought) I was prepared for Night - but was caught unawares at the depth of the human pain; I was drawn into the inner turmoil of Dawn and the deep religious and moral implications; The Accident was less compelling to me at first, but the final - so unexpected to me - scene helped completely reframe the story.

These are truly classics. Wiesel is a talented writer, but this is definitely his most raw and intense work. ( )
  Cecilturtle | May 3, 2015 |
Excellent.
  leahhenderson | Apr 18, 2015 |
The first book of this trilogy is a memoir followed by two novels that explore how holocaust survivors lives are altered. I was horrified and hypnotized with the memoir. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 28, 2014 |
This trilogy includes: Night, Dawn and The Accident.
  HolocaustMuseum | Mar 5, 2014 |
The Night Trilogy by Elie Wiesel. Epiphany-OviedoELCA library section 7 B: The Church in the World, Politics/War/Peace. This book encompasses three works by Holocaust survivor Wiesel: Night, first published in 1960, his memoir of life in three concentration camps; Dawn, a fictional work about a young Holocaust survivor who is recruited as a terrorist against the British occupation of Palestine before the creation of the nation of Israel; and The Accident, a novella that asks the question whether Holocaust survivors can forge a new life without the memories of the old.
In Night, Wiesel says, it is the “I” that speaks. In the other two narratives, it is the “I” who listens and questions. I found Night to be frightening, but very necessary to read. Only by reading memoirs of Holocaust survivors can we identify similar persecution in today’s world and call it by its real name without euphemism, without turning away. This is why film director Steven Spielberg began recording and documenting the memories of concentration camp survivors. Such memories are extremely painful. For example, my brother-in-law’s mother was a Holocaust survivor. At the end of her life, in need of pain medication, she could not take some of them because they caused her to hallucinate that she was back in the concentration camp. How difficult to carry such a psychic burden throughout one’s life!
Perhaps by writing this memoir, Wiesel was able to put some of his painful memories to rest. Or perhaps, though painful to relate, it was a way to help new generations grapple with the horrors and inhumanity of those events. Or perhaps writing it was a way to honor his immediate family and the millions whose lives and possessions were stolen.
In Dawn, the survivor becomes executioner; his job is to execute a British citizen as revenge for the hanging of a Jewish freedom fighter. Can a survivor, in turn, become executioner?
Of course, in each of these narratives, the author is dealing with deep questions: how could God allow the Holocaust to happen? Where was God then? Why were the survivors chosen to live? How does one deal with survivor guilt? Would it have been better to die? How can one live the rest of one’s life having seen the horrors of the camps? What are the limits of the spirit? What are the limits of the self? If you wish to grapple with such questions and find some answers, give this volume a read. If nothing else, read Night, the first in the trilogy, a masterpiece of Holocaust literature. ( )
  Epiphany-OviedoELCA | Nov 14, 2011 |
In memory of
my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora (E.W.)

This new translation
in memory of
my grandparents Abba, Sarah, and Nachman,
who also vanished into that night (M.W.)
"They call him Moishe the Beadle, as if his entire life he had never had a surname."
If in my lifetime I was to write only one book, this would be the one.
Omnibus edition, includes Night, Dawn, and Day (Consisting of a memoir, translated by Marion Wiesel, and two novels).

Night is one of the masterpieces of Holocaust literature. First published in 1960, it is the autobiographical account of an adolescent boy and his father in Auschwitz. Wiesel writes of their battle for survival, and of his battle with God for a way to understand the wanton cruelty he witnesses each day.

In the short novel Dawn (1961), a young man who has survived the Second World War and settled in Palestine is apprenticed to a Jewish terrorist gang. Command to execute a British officer who has been taken hostage, the former victim becomes an executioner.

In The Accident, (1962), Wiesel again turns to fiction to question the limits of the spirit and the self: Can Holocaust survivors forge a new life without the memories of the old? As the author writes in his introduction, "In Night it is the 'I' who speaks; in the other two [narratives], it is the 'I' who listens and questions."

Wiesel's trilogy offers meditations on mankind's attraction to violence and on temptation of self-destruction.

A Hill & Wang Teacher's Guide is available for this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:14 -0400)

Three works deal with a concentration camp survivor, a hostage holder in Palestine, and a recovering accident victim.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,955,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible