The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident…

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident (edition 1987)

by Elie Wiesel, Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)

Member:frichadaran
Title:The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, The Accident
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Stella Rodway (Translator), Francois Mauriac (Foreword)
Info:Hill and Wang (1987), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 317 pages

The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, and Day by Elie Wiesel

English (13)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (15)
The first book made me cry; the second book made me think; the third book had me soul-searching. Each is so different yet communicates a range of emotions, thoughts and insights that are incredibly different. (I thought) I was prepared for Night - but was caught unawares at the depth of the human pain; I was drawn into the inner turmoil of Dawn and the deep religious and moral implications; The Accident was less compelling to me at first, but the final - so unexpected to me - scene helped completely reframe the story.

These are truly classics. Wiesel is a talented writer, but this is definitely his most raw and intense work. ( )
  Cecilturtle | May 3, 2015 |
Excellent.
  leahhenderson | Apr 18, 2015 |
The first book of this trilogy is a memoir followed by two novels that explore how holocaust survivors lives are altered. I was horrified and hypnotized with the memoir. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 28, 2014 |
This trilogy includes: Night, Dawn and The Accident.
  HolocaustMuseum | Mar 5, 2014 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2013 |
In memory of
my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora (E.W.)

This new translation
in memory of
my grandparents Abba, Sarah, and Nachman,
who also vanished into that night (M.W.)
"They call him Moishe the Beadle, as if his entire life he had never had a surname."
If in my lifetime I was to write only one book, this would be the one.
Omnibus edition, includes Night, Dawn, and Day (Consisting of a memoir, translated by Marion Wiesel, and two novels).

Night is one of the masterpieces of Holocaust literature. First published in 1960, it is the autobiographical account of an adolescent boy and his father in Auschwitz. Wiesel writes of their battle for survival, and of his battle with God for a way to understand the wanton cruelty he witnesses each day.

In the short novel Dawn (1961), a young man who has survived the Second World War and settled in Palestine is apprenticed to a Jewish terrorist gang. Command to execute a British officer who has been taken hostage, the former victim becomes an executioner.

In The Accident, (1962), Wiesel again turns to fiction to question the limits of the spirit and the self: Can Holocaust survivors forge a new life without the memories of the old? As the author writes in his introduction, "In Night it is the 'I' who speaks; in the other two [narratives], it is the 'I' who listens and questions."

Wiesel's trilogy offers meditations on mankind's attraction to violence and on temptation of self-destruction.

A Hill & Wang Teacher's Guide is available for this title.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:34 -0400)

Three works deal with a concentration camp survivor, a hostage holder in Palestine, and a recovering accident victim.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,284,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible