The Wicked by James Newman

The Wicked

by James Newman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Firstly, I loved loved loved Newman's debut novel, Midnight Rain. It is a wonderful coming-of-age tale/crime drama. The Wicked is his attempt at 80's throwback paperback horror.

Not bad, but this isn't Newman's strength ( )
  Mordecai42 | Apr 13, 2017 |
3.5 rounded up to 4 - and justifiably so, because the bonus story "The Boaracle" was the perfect way to end it. The ads in the back were a nice touch as well.
I enjoyed this well-told tale quite a bit, and did my best to read it in the spirit intended: as a cheesy 80's horror paperback, my favorite kind. As such, it delivered the goods.
Recommended for those looking for a fun, flowing, old-school horror read. ( )
  Evans-Light | Nov 8, 2015 |
Newman is awesome! I love the trip back to the '80s. The suspense is excellent, and above all, I wasn't exactly sure how the book was going to end. I recommend this novel. ( )
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
A fire has destroyed a children’s hospital outside of Morganville, North Carolina. Sixty people died, thirty-seven were children. Shortly after the fire David and Kate Little move into their new home in the small town. They have a little girl named Becca and Kate is pregnant. They hope to start a new life after Kate was assaulted back in their previous home of New York. The town seems quiet, but strange things start to happen. Soon they discover that the fire has awakened an ancient evil that will change the town forever.

This novel was a fun quick read. The style is very Stephen King circa 1980’s. The characters are well written and you start to care for them. My favorite character is an elderly ex-marine next door neighbor. He is tough and strong and doesn’t take anything from anyone. He turns out to be David’s best defense when his family is threatened. If you enjoy 1980’s horror novels I highly recommend this book. ( )
  craso | Nov 1, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

The Wicked by James Newman is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible