Big Red Tequila by Rick Riordan

Big Red Tequila (edition 1997)

by Rick Riordan

Member:thefirstalicat
Title:Big Red Tequila
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Bantam (1997), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, series, private eye, Texas

Big Red Tequila by Rick Riordan

Still River (Lee Henry Oswald Mystery Series #1) by Harry Hunsicker (ckNikka)
    ckNikka: Great placed base story - who thought Texas could be so much fun! Great Noir...

I've been a fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series since it began, so when I learned that prior to turning to YA novels, he had written a series of Texas private eye mysteries, I thought I'd give them a try. Big Red Tequila is the first in that series, featuring Jackson "Tres" Navarre, the son of Jackson Navarre Jr. who, ten years before the story begins, had been gunned down in front of his son and friend while returning home from his Sheriff's job in San Antonio. Tres fled to San Francisco and remained there for 10 years, learning tai chi and earning a Ph.D. in English literature, supporting himself with investigative work for a law office, among other things; but when his old flame Lillian contacts him, he returns to his native city in part to perhaps rekindle his old relationship and in part to finally work out who killed his father and why. But the answers are far from simple to find, and there are far more people willing to kill rather than let him discover the truth.... As with the YA books, this adult novel is full of memorable characters and high-energy action scenes, although neither are as refined as they become in Riordan's later work. I enjoyed the murky underworld of San Antonio and some of the individuals were well worth getting to know, but I'm not as enamoured of Texas as the author might like his readers to be. I would read more in the series if I stumbled across them, but wouldn't really go out of my way to find them; so, a lukewarm response from me. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 18, 2012 |
Any tamer and this would be classed as a cozy. While a decent start to a series, there needs to be some pickup to future installments. And please, Robert Johnson needs more quality page time! ( )
  debavp | Oct 10, 2010 |
Dry humor and self depreciation by lead character very refreshing. Rick Riordan can definately write for adults as well as the elementary school crowd. A bit too much unnecessary swearing for my taste, otherwise a good read. ( )
  Dene2 | Sep 15, 2010 |
was listening to THE LIGHTNING THIEF: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (my review) at the same time as part of this one. It's so amazing how talented an author can be to write two completely different genres and both of them be so highly enjoyable.
Tres Navarre is a well written character and, gosh, do I want to be his buddy. He's got a nice dry sense of humor, takes a hit and keeps on quippin', and has human foibles. And has an enchilada eating cat named Robert Johnson.
He comes back to town after ten years away in San Francisco after the shooting death of his father in their driveway. Ostensibly, he feels the need to solve the murder of his father, but he's there, also, to help his ex-girlfriend solve some problems with her business partner.
There are some possible ties to the Mafia and corrupt politicians. The possibility of all of this being tied with the murder of his father sucks Tres (and the reader...) in.
Five big ol' Texas beans....and maybe some bottles of Herradura...Tres' tequila of choice... ( )
  Squeex | Jun 17, 2010 |
Decent plot and a central character who's sarcasm was a little humorous. Heavy on the cussing, and lack of any morality was a downer that I couldn't quite get over. The central theme of messed up family relationships between children and parents was interesting... but only slightly.

Lightning Thief series is much better. ( )
1 vote wvlibrarydude | Apr 29, 2010 |
To Haley Michael Riordan, bienvendido and a good beginning

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553576445, Mass Market Paperback)

Rick Riordan has loaded his first mystery with lots of genre baggage: this story about a man coming home to San Antonio, Texas, to rescue his old girlfriend and solve the 12-year-old murder of his sheriff father is a virtual homage to James (The Last Good Kiss) Crumley. But Riordan writes so well about the people and topography of his hometown that he very quickly marks the territory as his own. Tres Navarre has put behind him the teenage days when he and his friend Ralph Arguello would cruise through San Antonio, drinking a ferocious mixture of cheap tequila and Big Red cream soda. A University of California Ph.D. in English plus a fascination with t'ai chi ch'uan led Tres naturally enough to work as a private investigator in San Francisco. But one call from the love of his early life--the mysterious and captivating Lillian Cambridge, now trapped in dangerous work and love relationships--and Tres gladly trades his trendy Peet's coffee for the stronger brews of home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:24 -0400)

A man comes home to San Antonio, Texas, to rescue his old girlfriend and solve the 12-year-old murder of his sheriff father.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,484,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible