Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:TheBlackerSheep
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio Books
Tags:Audio Book

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
Harry's back, newly (and reluctantly) promoted to his role of warden for Chicago. Lots of fun in this one! Set mainly at a horror convention (Splatter Con! haha), we are re-introduced to Molly, Michael Carpenter's all grown up daughter, and she has a big girl crush on Harry. Harry, my favorite white knight in a leather duster, is having none of it. But you know what he wants to have? Murphy, in a big, big way. Yes, my favorite star-crossed lovers may never happen, but at least Harry is taking baby steps in the right direction. Murphy, open your damn eyes, please. Harry is amazing.

My least favorite character, Charity, plays a big role in this one. I'm not saying I like her, but at long last I understand part of her deep-seeded loathing for Harry. Misplaced, mostly, but understandable. All of my favorites are here: Ebenezer, Mac, Mouse, Thomas, Bob and Michael. Michael, in his typical fashion, is the ultimately the savior. Damn, I love him.

We get unexpected allies in the Summer Court and Mab and her Winter Court cronies make another appearance. It's all fun, and as usual, Harry can't catch a break without help from the people around him. Possibly my favorite book of the series so far. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
The storming of Arctis Tor, no apology for Charity's awesomeness. Splatter Con. Black Magic. Madrigal. Thomas saves Harry and Rawlins. Molly and black magic. Making up with Ebenezer. Idea of Black Council put forth. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Local library

Due to the War the ranks of the Wardens are stretched thin, so the White Council has been forced to hand Harry a grey cloak. Horror of horrors! Wait, that’s not all the horror in town. SplatterCon!!! is in Chicago and there’s trouble at the horror convention that seems to revolve around Michael Carpenter’s oldest daughter, Molly. Tasked by the Council to investigate dark magic in his town, Molly’s plea for help with her boyfriend’s arrest at SplatterCon!!! and imminent war between the fairy courts, Harry is feeling pulled in too many directions. Will he be able to fulfill his duties as Warden and friend without getting himself or anyone else killed?

My Guest Reviewers:

A ~ my 16-yr-old daughter
T ~ my 14-yr-old son
K ~ my 13-yr-old son

Is it a surprise if I say that we still love this series? Probably not. :D This time the trouble revolves around black magic and its use in Chicago. One of the jobs a Warden must do is track down users of black magic called warlocks and execute them even if they are kids who didn’t know any better. Harry loathes this part of his job and we can understand why. We don’t like it either even though it’s usually something that needs done because the kids are too far gone to be saved. It still sucks. Anyway, the mystery kept us guessing and the phobophages were pretty cool. Everyone liked the description of Arctis Tor, Harry’s replica of Chicago that he calls Little Chicago and A wants to know why Molly doesn’t have the same problem with electronics that Harry does. Hmmm…good question! Everyone also agrees that Charity is one badass and they like her better after this book than they did before. And even though it was hot in this book, T said Harry should always wear his duster. He loves the duster.

Favorite moments:

Everyone liked the ending with the Council and Harry’s conversation afterwards with Michael.
Also, the entire scene in Arctis Tor.
A said any scene with Michael in it is a good one. Hmmm…someone has a book crush.

Each book it gets harder and harder to pick a favorite, so…
Favorite quotes:

“A bolt of warmth, fierce with joy and pride and gratitude, flashed through me like sudden lightning. I don’t care whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching-they are your family. And they were my heroes.”

“Molly was arrested. Possession.”
I blinked at him. “She was possessed?”

“Murphy, you rock! Go Team Dresden!”
“Hey, I’m the one who rocks…Go Team Murphy.” ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 11, 2014 |
I don't know what it is about this series. I just can not stop reading it. For some strange reason I keep expecting Harry to have a pudding moment, you know like this...

For a good majority of the plot I was doing this...

To me I thought that most had established that Molly had the gift two books back when Harry squatted in the tree house. It was just ironing out the details of which parent was magically inclined. Other than that the book was golden.

Jim Butcher I swear you can not kill off Mouse! Him and Bob the skull are my favorite characters in this series, so just don't do it. Brilliant concept on the miniature Chicago, it reminded me so much of when I was a kid watching BeetleJuice.

On to the next. Cheers you ghouls! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

After decades of reading SFF, and after stuffing hundreds of fantasy novels under my middle-aged belt (it occurs to me that this is not the most attractive metaphor), it surprises me when I finish book eight in a series and am eager to acquire book nine. It rarely happens anymore. But, I??ve just finished Proven Guilty, book eight in Jim Butcherƒ??s THE DRESDEN FILES and Iƒ??m eager to move on to book nine, White Night. The only thing stopping me from diving right in is that Iƒ??m on the wait list at my library.

It seems like thatƒ??s all I should really have to say about Proven Guilty because if youƒ??re reading this and youƒ??re already a fan of the series, thatƒ??s all you needed to know ƒ?? that Butcher is keeping up his end of the bargain by continuing to provide his readers with entertaining stories full of action, drama, characters we love, and a touch of ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/proven-guilty/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:09 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,885,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible