Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:miyyu
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Tags:fiction, nook book

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

English (105)  German (1)  All (106)
I hadn't realized how much I missed Harry Dresden until I started reading this book. As usual, good pace, good start, intriguing story line from page one.

One thing I like about Jim Butcher and his writing is the sudden appearance of a twist you couldn't ever consider appearing. Charity has magic? WHOA! yet it fits the storyline better than when others wait to reveal facts about the villain. His reveals usually deal with side characters.He also tends to hint that things are going to go one direction, then pulls a left turn, which makes perfect plot sense, that makes you also go WHOA!

Much as I hate to say it, Bob and Lasciel have a point. Harry is never going to get laid. And with his description of Molly... Um, yeah. Charity probably overreacted, but what mother bear is going to stop and listen when she thinks cub is in danger... Sorry. Gotta side with the lascivious skull on this one.

There's a great scene where Harry and Murphy cleared some of the tension, only to make more tension. If you've been reading this series through, you'll see how there is a hint at a possible shift, but not just yet. Hilts and Blades, Goddess of the Holy might. The tension could find the bad guy! But I hope the change never comes.

The beginning is a slow burn build, but once it's rolling, the snowball gathers a lot of speed and can't be stopped. So much so I couldn't put it down. Loved a lot of things about this book... Just not enough to give it that full final star. ( )
  gilroy | Jun 16, 2017 |
Another installment of Harry Dresden's various misadventures. This particular book leaves several things hanging loose, while tying others up in looser knots. Relationships that have gone unseen and barely mentioned in past books resurface to the harm as well as benefit of all involved, and Harry takes on new responsibilities.

All in all, a good book. An excellent addition to the Dresden Files as a whole. I recomend this to sci-fie and fantasy lovers anywhere. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
I felt like Harry is a complete idiot, and an arrogant one to boot. He always takes everything on his shoulders, without trying to spread the responsibility and then he whines and complains about how hard things are. He ALWAYS acts like he is the only one who can do anything. Well, he isn't. And one man can't do EVERYTHING! Get over yourself and your poor little pity party of the past. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It's been a hot second since I picked up a book in this series and boy was I glad to get back in it! Harry Dresden never catches a break. Tasked with finding out about possible black magic brewing in Chicago, he gets side tracked by a bunch of movie monsters that attack a horror convention. To make matters more complicated, his good friend, Michael's, daughter is somehow involved. What's a poor wizard to do? Narrated brilliantly by James Marsters, this book kept me on the edge of my seat and I enjoyed it immensely. On to book nine in the Dresden Files series! ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 30, 2016 |
I loved it. I wish I hadn't read book 9 first - oops. Because now some things in book 9 make more sense. And I found my self thinking about things I knew from the next book. Oh well.

I couldn't help but compare Harry Dresden to Harry Potter. Dresden cares about people - even people who don't like him. In the Dresden files dark magic has real negative consequences. Potter experiences no bad affects from using "unforgivable" dark spells. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,110,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible