Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:miyyu
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Tags:fiction, nook book

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

Recently added byggoldby, KittySpinch, DobbyHasWings, Lyali, psrch, rjdavie, private library, erichtwade, cjs87, acf151

English (99)  German (1)  All languages (100)
I love Harry and I can't put the books down. The only complaint I have about this book is that I knew early on that Molly was somehow involved in all the bad stuff that was going on, but I'm glad Harry told Michael about the fallen angel stuff. For me this series just keeps getting better and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Proven Guilty
4 Stars

An engaging addition to the series.

Once again the plot is comprised of multiple threads that ultimately merge into one action packed storyline. This time Harry must investigate a series of attacks at a horror movie convention, ascertain why the Summer and Winter courts are reluctant to help the White Council in their war against the Red Court and help the daughter of a friend when she runs foul of the laws of magic.

The Carpenter family is back and Harry’s interactions with Charity, Molly and Michael play a significant role. Charity has always come across as self-righteous and bigoted, and although the events of this book provide some insight into her character, she remains cold, ungrateful and unlikable. Molly has grown into a rebellious young woman and her teen angst gets her into some serious trouble, and Michael reveals that he is far more aware of the issues in Harry’s life than previously thought.

Murphy and Thomas are also key characters in this installment. Although Murphy and Harry finally have a much anticipated heart-to-heart, it cannot be said that their relationship is resolved. Thomas and Harry have a special bond and it is difficult for them both when Thomas strikes out on his own. Nevertheless, the brothers are always there for each other in times of need and hopefully Thomas will eventually be able to confide in Harry.

The world building and plotting in the Harry Dresden series are simply incredible. However, one or two issues tend to rub me the wrong way, such as the inclusion of several references to events that occurred in novellas. Some readers, like myself, prefer not to read these short stories and still others do not have access to them. As such, it is unfair to include plot elements from them in the main, novel length installments of the series. Moreover, the religious overtones in the book are excessive and the hints at Deus Ex Machina forces at work are also irritating. Finally, at 16 hours of listening time, the book is overly long and drawn out.

All in all, Harry and company never fail to entertain and I look forward to their further adventures. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
*Spoilers* Where to start?! Well I was not happy with the talk that Harry and Murphy had in the elevator! She has to change her mind!! Ok now that I've gotten that out of the way lol. As always it was a great book. Phages in the form of movie monsters! :D Definitely got a grin out of me. The whole Harry built a replica of Chicago thing is pretty awesome. Leave it to Harry to think of something like that. The whole situation with Molly, Harry and Charity was just heart wrenching for me, esp toward the end of the book. I still can't believe that Molly was doing black magic! I kind of figured it was her from the beginning though, but still a little surprise Butcher went that way. Harry having an apprentice?!? This should be interesting. I am also really glad the Harry finally told Michael about the coin (even though he already knew) it needed to be done. Oh and I rather like the new Summer Lady and Knight :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Better than the last couple I read but will give it a break for a while. I chose to read this series as my husband loved them. I can see some of the reasons. The characters are light and clear cut, the stories are hero tales and if you love superheroes then this would be a totally suitable series. For me there is a lack of development of the characters and relationships currently (the best parallel I can think of is either discworld novels which I enjoy but cannot read too often as its like a sitcom you dip into and know the "style" of). ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Book #8 (of 15) in the Dresden Files series has been read/narrated (James Marsters, the narrator, continues to demonstrate hisf prowess as the series continues). No one is more amazed than I that my interest in this genre has continued - unabated!! Mouse was introduced in Book #6 (Blood Rites) and I've fallen more and more under his spell as the series unfolds! Adorable doesn't begin to describe Mouse and my heart (literally!) skipped a beat as Proven Guilty's plot unfolded and Mouse faced various and sundry beyond dangerous situations - as do all of the characters in this series! On to Book #9 - White Night - just put it on hold at my beloved library!! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,821,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible