Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:miyyu
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Tags:fiction, nook book

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

Recently added byOrangez, private library, Eclipse777, Krellyn, cctesttc1, kiwihead

English (100)  German (1)  All languages (101)
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/14079545 ( )
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Note: I feel that Death Masks, Book 5, is where reading this series out of order starts to do you an injustice. This book does work as a stand alone to some extent, but you will get major spoilers for the previous books in the series and it also pulls in characters we have met before. So I recommend reading the previous books before you jump into this one.

Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only PI wizard and now a Warden for the White Council, gets called up by Molly to bail her friend out of jail. He’s not happy about it, but he knows that Molly is having some issues. He gets talked into checking out SplatterCon!!! where Molly is one of the lead organizers. The White Council has reports of some evil magic happening in Chicago and they’ve tasked Harry with finding the source and dealing with it. SplatterCon!!! turns out to be a bit scarier than anyone figured when a horror movie monster comes to life and starts taking out the guests. Someone is inviting in phages from the Nevernever. Not good!

Later on, Molly disappears and Harry has to try every trick in the book to locate her. While he is attempting to locate her, he learns some interesting things about Charity, Molly’s mom. I really liked that we get to learn more about her as she has been a rather minor character in the series so far. As we know from previous books, she doesn’t like Harry, and now with Michael (her husband and a Knight Templar) away on ‘business’, she is stuck in this position where Harry is her best hope of finding and helping Molly.

Later on, Harry and some trusted allies have to suit up and head into the Nevernever. Without giving too much away, Thomas of the White Court vampires, is an excellent fighter and there are some great scenes with him kicking in teeth and stomping on faerie wings. The efforts of Harry and crew in the Nevernever have repercussions, some of which are known by the end of this book, but then there are some that don’t become apparent until later in the series. That’s another cool thing about these books. In rereading the series, I can see these ripples easier and it’s just amazing how well laid out the big arching plot is for the series.

Before the book is over, Harry has to face some of his fears as well. One of them, he knows is coming and he has time to think about how he will handle it. The second comes as a bit of a surprise and a relief once he starts talking about. I really liked that Harry had to deal with some of his biggest fears in this book.

At the end of the previous book, Dead Beat, Thomas moved out of Harry’s place. Harry spends the entire book wondering what Thomas is now doing for a living. He’s looking healthy and Harry worries that he’s turned to the dark side in feeding. The ending to this little mystery is quite amusing but we don’t get that until later in the series.

As usual, there’s a slew of returning characters in this book. Police officer Rawlins, who knew Murphy’s dad back in the day, is tasked with guarding a crime scene that Harry wants access to. Murphy of course is around and also accompanies Harry into the Nevernever. Lashiel’s carbon copy in Harry’s head is rather insistent in being of assistance and Harry learns some mental skills in blocking her out. The Lady Summer Lily and her Knight Fix put in an appearance as well. Even Harry’s godmother has a little role. There’s more, but these are the ones that stood out to me. This book is another great addition to the series and I had a lot of fun with the fear theme for the book.

Narration: James Marsters continues to do a worthy Harry Dresden. His female voices are on good display with this book : Charity, Molly, Lashiel, Murphy, Harry’s godmother, the Summer Lady, etc. He makes them all distinct and feminine. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jun 28, 2016 |
I love Harry and I can't put the books down. The only complaint I have about this book is that I knew early on that Molly was somehow involved in all the bad stuff that was going on, but I'm glad Harry told Michael about the fallen angel stuff. For me this series just keeps getting better and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Proven Guilty
4 Stars

An engaging addition to the series.

Once again the plot is comprised of multiple threads that ultimately merge into one action packed storyline. This time Harry must investigate a series of attacks at a horror movie convention, ascertain why the Summer and Winter courts are reluctant to help the White Council in their war against the Red Court and help the daughter of a friend when she runs foul of the laws of magic.

The Carpenter family is back and Harry’s interactions with Charity, Molly and Michael play a significant role. Charity has always come across as self-righteous and bigoted, and although the events of this book provide some insight into her character, she remains cold, ungrateful and unlikable. Molly has grown into a rebellious young woman and her teen angst gets her into some serious trouble, and Michael reveals that he is far more aware of the issues in Harry’s life than previously thought.

Murphy and Thomas are also key characters in this installment. Although Murphy and Harry finally have a much anticipated heart-to-heart, it cannot be said that their relationship is resolved. Thomas and Harry have a special bond and it is difficult for them both when Thomas strikes out on his own. Nevertheless, the brothers are always there for each other in times of need and hopefully Thomas will eventually be able to confide in Harry.

The world building and plotting in the Harry Dresden series are simply incredible. However, one or two issues tend to rub me the wrong way, such as the inclusion of several references to events that occurred in novellas. Some readers, like myself, prefer not to read these short stories and still others do not have access to them. As such, it is unfair to include plot elements from them in the main, novel length installments of the series. Moreover, the religious overtones in the book are excessive and the hints at Deus Ex Machina forces at work are also irritating. Finally, at 16 hours of listening time, the book is overly long and drawn out.

All in all, Harry and company never fail to entertain and I look forward to their further adventures. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
*Spoilers* Where to start?! Well I was not happy with the talk that Harry and Murphy had in the elevator! She has to change her mind!! Ok now that I've gotten that out of the way lol. As always it was a great book. Phages in the form of movie monsters! :D Definitely got a grin out of me. The whole Harry built a replica of Chicago thing is pretty awesome. Leave it to Harry to think of something like that. The whole situation with Molly, Harry and Charity was just heart wrenching for me, esp toward the end of the book. I still can't believe that Molly was doing black magic! I kind of figured it was her from the beginning though, but still a little surprise Butcher went that way. Harry having an apprentice?!? This should be interesting. I am also really glad the Harry finally told Michael about the coin (even though he already knew) it needed to be done. Oh and I rather like the new Summer Lady and Knight :) ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,589,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible