Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

Proven Guilty (edition 2011)

by Jim Butcher

Member:sawyl
Title:Proven Guilty
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Tags:fantasy, Dresden Files, 2013

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

English (87)  German (1)  All languages (88)
The series keeps getting better and better. This books brings some of the smaller characters to the front, while also expanding on some well knowns. Great book and great narration by James Marsters. ( )
  renbedell | May 28, 2015 |
Well, well, well. My, my, my. This book illustrates perfectly why I'm safe from being a die hard fan of any author. I don't have a shred of loyalty towards my favorite authors, and I wear that attitude like a badge of honor. Most of the Dresden books I've read so far have scored well. Because of that, I believe that Jim Butcher doesn't need to punch above his weight to write a damn good book. He is frighteningly talented. So what happened here?

I'm not alone in finding Proven Guilty a mediocre book. The foundation of Jim Butcher's books relies on sentimentality. If the structure of the story is sound and pleasing, the readers ignore the underlying cheesiness of the premise. But if the structure of the story lends itself badly to deconstruction, we are aware of the paucity of logic and intelligence in the writing. The hitherto strength of the series, namely that we are willing to accept that Harry Dresden courts trouble, and gets away with it despite a humongous display of stupidity with gallantry as his cloak, becomes his weakness in this book. Paradoxically, the writer keeps Harry underpowered. Harry escapes from a tight bind in Proven Guilty with resourcefulness, but with no show of power. What messes the balance in the series is that the hero keeps fighting foes who are increasingly dangerous. He should not have survived. Also, when the biggest villain yet is pitted against the hero, the stakes should be high. But curiously, they're not. Also, not to nitpick, but this is the first book where we get to learn nothing new about Dresden.

The Dresden Files relies a lot on characterization. We don't ask for it, but us fans have been served with books that ooze chutzpah, sincerity, wholesomeness, and among others,braveness in the face of decay and death. Some of the passages depict human frailty, with us not even at the top of the food chain. The magic of this world is shown to great purpose. In this book, the sincerity sounds faked. The winks and nods have more in common with fan service than with humor. The twists are moribund, and may perhaps be the most embarrassing aspect of book 8. The most pleasing element of Proven Guilty is the exposure of the corrupt intricacy of the White Council - the wizard court. What happens near the end, the case where Harry moonlights as an attorney, feels realistic. Such a tainted organization as the Council would behave the exact way as it has been shown. I hear the next book serially is just as bad as this one, but after that things get better. I'd better get on with it. ( )
  Jiraiya | May 22, 2015 |
Someone once said to me that the Dresden Files get better and better with every book. They were right. Proven Guilty was all about his most emotional memories coming back and history repeating itself - a young wizard, just like he once was, without proper guidance makes all hell break loose and Harry is there for the rescue.

I was slightly bored by the monsters in the theater parts - it would have been so much more fun if those horrow movie monsters could only be killed exactly like they did in the movies. But, thank God, those parts resolved themselves pretty quickly, leaving the second half of the book for my sheer enjoyment. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Dresden is hunting down movie horror monsters, and the one behind bringing them to Chicago. This was a reread for me, so there is another review somewhere out there by me. Love, love, love James Marsters' narration. ( )
  MrsLee | Apr 7, 2015 |
Every one of these Dresden books is the same. They all blur together. I have no way to tell them apart. I've read about 6 of these books, and they really are pretty good. But, they are all in the average category. None of them stand out as really that awesome.

After reading this particular book, I was like, goddamnit! I thought for sure they were gonna throw Dresden in jail for good this time. But noooooo. Fucking bullshit. Why can't someone kill this guy already? I mean, what's the fucking problem? Just shoot the cocksucker. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,891,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible