Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

4,019None1,267 (4.29)105
Member:beckyrob
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

audiobook (21) Chicago (83) crime (19) detective (77) Dresden (84) Dresden Files (290) ebook (44) faerie (31) fantasy (492) fiction (265) Harry Dresden (86) horror (31) Jim Butcher (29) Kindle (20) magic (167) mystery (161) novel (27) paperback (23) paranormal (53) read (52) science fiction (48) series (73) sff (41) supernatural (61) to-read (52) urban (18) urban fantasy (375) vampires (89) werewolves (23) wizards (213)

English (75)  German (1)  All languages (76)
Originally posted at FanLit.

After decades of reading SFF, and after stuffing hundreds of fantasy novels under my middle-aged belt (it occurs to me that this is not the most attractive metaphor), it surprises me when I finish book eight in a series and am eager to acquire book nine. It rarely happens anymore. But, Iƒ??ve just finished Proven Guilty, book eight in Jim Butcherƒ??s THE DRESDEN FILES and Iƒ??m eager to move on to book nine, White Night. The only thing stopping me from diving right in is that Iƒ??m on the wait list at my library.

It seems like thatƒ??s all I should really have to say about Proven Guilty because if youƒ??re reading this and youƒ??re already a fan of the series, thatƒ??s all you needed to know ƒ?? that Butcher is keeping up his end of the bargain by continuing to provide his readers with entertaining stories full of action, drama, characters we love, and a touch of ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/proven-guilty/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Loved it! Dresden is such a damned brave and brilliant wizard, I just don't know how he does it! ( )
  sixthreezy | Apr 4, 2014 |
Somebody is practicing black magic in Chicago and the White Council tasks Harry Dresden with finding the culprit, but it turns out to be someone close to home and Harry soon has to battle even greater forces. This is one of my favorites in the series - the stakes are enormous, for Harry and those he tries to help; the storyline is complex and presumably the start of a big story-arc in future installments; and the characters are brave and cowardly and snarky and wise and funny, all at the same time, and I can't help but enjoy them thoroughly, especially Mouse, the "fuzz-barge." This is really a series to read from the beginning rather than jump about - I still get somewhat confused with the huge cast and I can't imagine it would be easy to read them out of order - but make sure you do pick it up if you have any affection at all for urban fantasy. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 23, 2014 |
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

After a bit of hiatus from The Dresden Files, I found this book to be a little bit of a letdown. The plot didn’t seem as well organized to me as the ones from past books, and the stakes, while high, didn’t really surpass those of previous books. Proven Guilty, from my point of view, read more like a lead-in to another stage of the series — which isn’t necessarily bad. I do know what happens in the rest of the series -cough- so I can see how this book might fall into the equation perfectly. It just didn’t quite suit my tastes. Didn’t quite have what I wanted — there wasn’t enough “punch” to the plot.

It sets up a lot of important relationships though. And the characters, like usual, were all very well characterized. Their personalities were great, they developed, and I particularly liked the exploration of side characters like Charity Carpenter. Butcher seems to have put a lot of time and effort into making much of his cast well-rounded and complex. Which makes for a very enjoyable story overall. Watching characters and relationships develop is one of my favorite parts of reading.

I think what I liked most about Proven Guilty, though, was how much it hinted at. The reason I felt this book was a bit of a lull is because Butcher used it to foreshadow a lot. And I mean a lot. If you pay attention, the sheer number of things you catch that I know (because I cheat) become relevant later in the series is astounding. This was a book full of complex set-ups, the machinery behind major plot twists that occur in the succeeding installments. I thoroughly enjoyed finding them all. A bit of a fun reading challenge.

So, I mean, there was nothing especially “bad” about Proven Guilty. There’s plenty of action and snark; it builds on the previous books very well and sets the stage for what comes next. I just felt this one was a bit less polished and cohesive than Butcher’s usual work. ( )
  TherinKnite | Feb 10, 2014 |
Some people seem to love these books but for me they are just another fantasy series that really adds little to the literary canon of the western world. Mind you I used to read heaps of pulp fantasy when I was younger and I still enjoy reading it (which is why I didn't rate this book as being crap) but compared with some of the other books around that do challenge the way we think, this book is simply only good for reading when your mind simply cannot take too many more intensity.
As for this particular book, well, the soap opera that is the life of Harry Dresden continues. The reason that I didn't like the previous book was because there was really no twists, the book dealt with, once again, creatures that seem to be more at home in a horror movies, and the dialogue that occurred between Dresden and Thomas sounded like something straight out of 'Days of Our Lives'. As such, when I got to this book I was expecting more of the same, and when the action came about in a schlock horror movie convention and was about phantoms mimicking monsters from horror movies, I pretty much rolled my eyes. Oh, and the stupid war between the vampires and the magicians was continuing, which I'm also finding pretty lame.
However the plot suddenly twisted ninety degrees, and some seriously interesting things were suddenly revealed about some of the main characters, and as such my enjoyment of this book suddenly jumped. Okay, I'm not necessarily itching to read the next book in the series, but I guess the direction that Butcher has moved the series has made me a little more interested.
Anyway, at book club on Saturday, when we were asked to talk about the books that I have read during the month, I mentioned that I was reading this book, but was too embarrassed to pull it out of my bag, but they encouraged me to do so, and it sparked a discussion on whether such novels had any place in literature. The general agreement was that it did, especially if it encouraged people to read, and to read more. However my feeling is that while reading such novels may be useful, I also feel that there is a time when people need to move away from them and move onto some more serious novels – for instance books that will seriously mess with your head. It is in a way what my English teacher suggested, and that is that while reading may be a good thing, if one is not challenged by what one reads, then, as he believes, the whole purpose of reading is lost. I think reading novels like Harry Dresden is good because reading challenging books can be a little exhausting at times and sometimes you do need a break. In a way, sitting back and reading a simple book that has an entertaining story, can be a good thing, but too much of a good thing can, in the end, can turn out to be a bad thing. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 1, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:09 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible