Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) by…

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8) (edition 2007)

by Jim Butcher

Member:beckyrob
Title:Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher

Recently added byBookstoogeLT, private library, ChristinaT., galadan, scatlett, crynski, tmusso, oswallt, mileszs, Lauren2013

English (103)  German (1)  All (104)
I felt like Harry is a complete idiot, and an arrogant one to boot. He always takes everything on his shoulders, without trying to spread the responsibility and then he whines and complains about how hard things are. He ALWAYS acts like he is the only one who can do anything. Well, he isn't. And one man can't do EVERYTHING! Get over yourself and your poor little pity party of the past. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It's been a hot second since I picked up a book in this series and boy was I glad to get back in it! Harry Dresden never catches a break. Tasked with finding out about possible black magic brewing in Chicago, he gets side tracked by a bunch of movie monsters that attack a horror convention. To make matters more complicated, his good friend, Michael's, daughter is somehow involved. What's a poor wizard to do? Narrated brilliantly by James Marsters, this book kept me on the edge of my seat and I enjoyed it immensely. On to book nine in the Dresden Files series! ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 30, 2016 |
I loved it. I wish I hadn't read book 9 first - oops. Because now some things in book 9 make more sense. And I found my self thinking about things I knew from the next book. Oh well.

I couldn't help but compare Harry Dresden to Harry Potter. Dresden cares about people - even people who don't like him. In the Dresden files dark magic has real negative consequences. Potter experiences no bad affects from using "unforgivable" dark spells. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
Proven Guilty
4 Stars

An engaging addition to the series.

Once again the plot is comprised of multiple threads that ultimately merge into one action packed storyline. This time Harry must investigate a series of attacks at a horror movie convention, ascertain why the Summer and Winter courts are reluctant to help the White Council in their war against the Red Court and help the daughter of a friend when she runs foul of the laws of magic.

The Carpenter family is back and Harry’s interactions with Charity, Molly and Michael play a significant role. Charity has always come across as self-righteous and bigoted, and although the events of this book provide some insight into her character, she remains cold, ungrateful and unlikable. Molly has grown into a rebellious young woman and her teen angst gets her into some serious trouble, and Michael reveals that he is far more aware of the issues in Harry’s life than previously thought.

Murphy and Thomas are also key characters in this installment. Although Murphy and Harry finally have a much anticipated heart-to-heart, it cannot be said that their relationship is resolved. Thomas and Harry have a special bond and it is difficult for them both when Thomas strikes out on his own. Nevertheless, the brothers are always there for each other in times of need and hopefully Thomas will eventually be able to confide in Harry.

The world building and plotting in the Harry Dresden series are simply incredible. However, one or two issues tend to rub me the wrong way, such as the inclusion of several references to events that occurred in novellas. Some readers, like myself, prefer not to read these short stories and still others do not have access to them. As such, it is unfair to include plot elements from them in the main, novel length installments of the series. Moreover, the religious overtones in the book are excessive and the hints at Deus Ex Machina forces at work are also irritating. Finally, at 16 hours of listening time, the book is overly long and drawn out.

All in all, Harry and company never fail to entertain and I look forward to their further adventures. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/14079545 ( )
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family.
Children are a precious gift, but they belong to no one but themselves. They are only lent us a little while.

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and hte white Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted Harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City.

As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461037, Mass Market Paperback)

The White Council of Wizards has drafted Harry Dresden as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in Chicago. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in the Windy City, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful dog, and a talking skull named Bob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

There's no love lost between Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and the White Council of Wizards, who find him brash and undisciplined. But war with the vampires has thinned their ranks, so the Council has drafted harry as a Warden and assigned him to look into rumors of black magic in the Windy City. As Harry adjusts to his new role, another problem arrives in the form of the tattooed and pierced daughter of an old friend, all grown-up and already in trouble. Her boyfriend is the only suspect in what looks like a supernatural assault straight out of a horror film. Malevolent entities that feed on fear are loose in Chicago, but it's all in a day's work for a wizard, his faithful, dog, and a talking skull named Bob.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,804,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible