The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on…

The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey (edition 2004)

by Muhammad Ali, Hana Ali

Info:Bantam Press (2004), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:Y04, biography

The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey by Muhammad Ali

This book shows you the beauty of the greatest boxer in the heavy weight division. His humour, intelligence and his faith to Islam.
A fantastic read and I loved the respect he gave to all of his opponents especially the man who stretched him the most Joe Frazier:

Of all the men I have fought.
Liston was the scariest.
Foreman was the most powerful,
Patterson the most skillful.
The toughest was Joe Frazier.
Muhammad Ali ( )
  Arten60 | Apr 3, 2011 |
Short book written at the twilight of Ali's life. Ali co-wrote it with his daughter. The tone of the book is inspirational as he reviews the major events in his life. Going from beating the neighborhood bully, to the Rome Olympics, to the Heavyweight Championship, to leaving The Nation of Islam, to refusing to be inducted for military service. Each moment in his life is examined as to whether he could face himself in the mirror as a man of character or as someone who betrayed his values. A large portion of the book emphasizes his Islamic faith and how it has served him well. Ali does speak about several of the major life regrets which he wishes he could undue. The main theme is that the spiritual aspect of each person is the most real and therefore the most valuable. Ali uses the dichotomy between his proverbial butterfly and bee as a compliment to the media personae of Clay and Ali. The book surprised me with flickering moments of insight from a man still known world-wide as a sports oracle but not necessarily as philosophical. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Mar 10, 2011 |

"During my boxing career, you did not see the real Muhammad Ali. You just saw a little boxing. You saw only a part of me. After I retired from boxing my true work began. I have embarked on a journey of love."

So Muhammad Ali begins this spiritual memoir, his description of the values that have shaped and sustained him and that continue to guide his life. In The Soul of a Butterfly the great champion takes readers on a spiritual journey through the seasons of life, from childhood to the present, and shares the beliefs that have served him well.

After fighting some of the fiercest bouts in boxing history against Joe Frazier and George Foreman, today Muhammad Ali faces his most powerful foe -- outside the boxing ring. Like many people, he battles an illness that limits his physical abilities, but as he says, "I have gained more than I have lost....I have never had a more powerful voice than I have now." Ali reflects on his faith in God and the strength it gave him during his greatest challenge, when he lost the prime years of his boxing career because he would not compromise his beliefs. He describes how his study of true Islam has helped him accept the changes in his life and has brought him to a greater awareness of life's true purpose. As a United Nations "Messenger of Peace," he has traveled widely, and he describes his 2002 mission to Afghanistan to heighten public awareness of that country's desperate situation, as well as his more recent meeting with the Dalai Lama.

Ali's reflections on topics ranging from moral courage to belief in God to respect for those who differ from us will inspire and enlighten all who read them. Written with the assistance of his daughter Hana, The Soul of a Butterfly is a compassionate and heartfelt book that will provide comfort for our troubled times.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:18 -0400)

The legendary boxer discusses the spiritual values that have shaped him, reflecting on the deepest meanings of life, the principles of Islam, moral courage, belief in God, and the responsibilities of fame and family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible