The Size of Thoughts: Essays and Other…

The Size of Thoughts: Essays and Other Lumber

by Nicholson Baker

Nicholson Baker is one of the most interesting writers alive. This collection of essays is both serious and very funny. At times, I was chuckling out loud, at other times astonished by his attention to detail and his perspective on those details he cherishes. The extended piece "Lumber" had my amazed and amused throughout. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I looked at every essay, read a couple, but really found nothing to want me to delve any deeper into the fellow. This guy is just not interesting to me. I do not like his personality at all, which is, for the most part, missing from the beginning of this book and quick to get a little too full of itself to the degree I was finding myself becoming nauseated beyond repair. I have since read a couple Raymond Carver short stories in order to get back to something real, something with gusto and flair. ( )
  MSarki | Mar 31, 2013 |
Picked up on the recommendation of BoingBoing, read a few essays, decided I wasn't a huge fan. He can get a little nasty about other people, which is an automatic turn-off for me. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
Some very good pieces, and some that are merely fodder. The best is "Discards": what happened to the provenance history and other data on library cataloge cards when university libraries switched to online database systems in the 1990s - a must read for the lover of books formerly owned by famous people. "The History of Punctuation" comes in second for being informative, followed by "Books as Furniture" for being witty. "Lumber," which the author calls "the printed products from the lumber-room" – the mind, I found to be an interesting read, all seven pieces of it, and on a variety of subject matter. But I wasn't impressed with the remainder of the book, about the size of the author's thoughts, much less the other topics he was writing about ( )
  moibibliomaniac | Sep 15, 2012 |
Lumber!: This is a brilliant book. It consists of several short essays on varied subjects; fingernail clippers, a review of a slang dictionary, and the demise of card catalogues to name a few, and one long essay on the history and usage of the word 'lumber'.

Nicholson is a master of finding the sublime in the mundane and his essays bring into focus the understated beauty of everyday objects. Eccentric and and at times almost comically over-erudite? Sure, but you'll find yourself nodding in silent recognition at his apt descriptions of the minutiae of daily life.
  iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679776249, Paperback)

Novelist and essayist Nicholson Baker has had a small but well-deserved cult following since his first book, The Mezzanine, and the publication of the literary sex-bomb Vox saw his popularity mushroom. Baker's great gift is a precision of observational detail that has a peculiarly incisive effect on a reader's consciousness. Here is over a decade's worth of his essays and articles, including the much-praised card catalogue article first published in the New Yorker. The Size of Thoughts, through its varied forays into the realms of the overlooked, the underfunded, and the wrongfully scrapped, is a funny and thought-provoking book by one of the most distinctive stylists and thinkers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:11 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible