28 Days Later: The Aftermath by Steve Niles

28 Days Later: The Aftermath

by Steve Niles

794152,477 (3)1

Meh. I haven't ever seen the movie; and now I don't think I will. Even though I'm a zombie fan. ( )
  lesmel | May 16, 2013 |
A prequel volume.

Here you get to see how the Rage virus came into being as the result of an experiment into something heading in almost completely the opposite direction.

There are multiple different short stories here that overlap and intersect at time, at some of the early victims - one faiily in picture that was just out for a picnic on the mother's birthday, for example. Another of a lone man deciding one city is his, and that he will go all Omega Man.

http://graphicsf.blogspot.com/2008/07/28-days-later-aftermath.html ( )
  bluetyson | Jul 10, 2008 |
four distinct takes on different aspects. chapter three is pretty interesting. i'd like to see more told from the zombie's perspective. ( )
  arsmith | Feb 20, 2008 |
This graphic novel is NOT necessary to understand anything that's going on in the second movie. For that matter, seeing the second movie first kind of illuminates the events of the graphic novel. No characters cross from the first movie to the graphic novel, and no characters cross from the graphic novel to the second movie.

So what IS the graphic novel about? FIrst, it explains how the rage virus was created and why. We learn what went wrong, and all of this leads into the beginning of the film, and shows the immediate thereafter. That's part one. Part two shows more of the immediate breakout of the rage virus, but focuses on one family struggling to survive the outbreak and how they attempt to protect each other. The third part, a bit odd, shows a man who watches over the city and kills the infected. The twist to this story is there's someone else in the city doing the same thing, and the two men don't play well together. The fourth and final part brings these characters together in the quarantine, where they learn about each other and try to figure out what's happening to their country.

It's not a bad story. Entertaining, and I like getting to see more stories in this decimated Britain, because when you watch the first movie, it's easy to think that those characters are the only uninfected survivors, and that's not the case. The graphic novel helps the reader understand some of the particulars of the rage virus and how it operates, and that's useful.

Some of my complaints with this was the fact that almost if not every part was drawn by a different artist. That in and of itself wasn't a bad thing, but when I reached the part where all the characters met up, I didn't recognize them from their original renditions, because a different artist was drawing them. So that was a bit annoying. There were also some holes in the overall story, or if they weren't holes, they were a bit weak in terms of plot. Motivations could've been clearer, especially toward the end, and I think a little more time could've been taken to see what was going on or have characters explain themselves.

But my perceived flaws aren't fatal ones. If you enjoy the franchise so far (meaning the first and/or second movies), then you'll most likely enjoy this graphic novel. Like I said, it illuminates some of the backstory, just as the movies (especially the second one) illuminates the graphic novel. Worth the cash, if you're a fan. ( )
  devilwrites | Aug 24, 2007 |

Two idealistic scientists unwittingly developing the deadliest virus the world has ever known...A family making desperate choices as they struggle to survive the Infection's initial outbreak...A lone gunslinging survivor battling the Infected in a decimated London...Four original tales chronicling the greatest horror humanity has ever faced come together in a bloody conclusion as terrifying as the Rage Virus itself.

Written by horror master Steve Niles (creator of the classic 30 Days of Night) and illustrated by three of the most terrifyingly talented illustrators working in comics today, 28 Days Later: The Aftermath begins before the hit movie—and ends with a shocking revelation that leads into the events of the sequel, 28 Weeks Later.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:28 -0400)

Presents four different stories chronicling the horror presented in the movie 28 days later: the development of the virus; a family's attempt to survive the Rage Virus's initial outbreak; a lone survivor battling the infected in London; and a shocking conclusion that leads to the upcoming sequel.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,882,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible