The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter

The Time Ships (edition 1995)

by Stephen Baxter (Author)

Member:niallh
Title:The Time Ships
Authors:Stephen Baxter (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (1995), Edition: New Ed, 630 pages
Collections:House
Tags:house

The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (JGolomb)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Time Ships is a sequel to The Time Machine.

English (27)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
On its own right this is a good story. But as a sequel to The Time Machine it's a failure. Except for the Morlocks there's no connection to Well's story. That's why I give it only 3 stars. The main reason for reading the book was to learn what 3 books the hero took with him back to the future, and what did he do with them, and how did he change the lives of natives? Instead Baxter writes a disconnected story using one of the peoples from Well's story. Very not satisfying. ( )
  majackson | Jun 13, 2019 |
I really enjoyed how Stephen Baxter was able to carry HG Wells voice through this novel. Interestingly, however, my favorite character was Nebogipfel, the Moorlock from the second timeline. ( )
  CarmaSpence | Jul 26, 2018 |
This 'sequel' to H.G. Wells' The Time Machine was well done. Baxter starts off very much in Wells' style but while maintaining the fundamentals of the Time Traveler's character, he swiftly brings the story out of Wells' philosophical dystopian mode into the (equally philosophically tinged) modern idea of multiplicity resulting from quantum mechanics.

Some of the various histories were just as horrifying as the original world of the Eloi and Morlocks & some were Utopian though challenging to our ideas of what is important/right.

I particularly liked the fact that in the end, Baxter brings the main character back to Wells' version of the future. A wonderful centennial tribute to Wells! ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 26, 2018 |
Holy snore-fest Batman! This 521 page book should have been around 200-300.
Baxter over-described nearly everything in this book more than DEAN KOONTZ does in his!
I'm too frustrated with just finishing this book to leave a better written review. ( )
  shorte | Feb 26, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the exploration and updating of The Time Machine with more modern science and some of the potential effects of the time travel. I found the concluding chapters a little Space Odyssey 2001 in that talk of deep-time was very confusing. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 21, 2016 |

Baxter, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edwards, LesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eggleton, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

To my wife Sandra, and the memory of H. G.
On the Friday morning after my return from futurity, I awoke long after dawn, from the deepest of dreamless sleeps.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061056480, Mass Market Paperback)

What if the time machine from H.G. Wells' classic novel of the same name had fallen into government hands? That's the question that led Stephen Baxter to create this modern-day sequel, which combines a basic Wellsian premise with a Baxteresque universe-spanning epic. The Time Traveller, driven by his failure to save Weena from the Morlocks, sets off again for the future. But this time the future has changed, altered by the very tale of the Traveller's previous journey.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

A sequel to H.G. Well's The time machine that continues the story of the conflict between the Eloi and the Morlocks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible