2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Other authors: Stanley Kubrick (Contributor)

Series: The Odyssey Sequence (1)

2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke (ksk21, philAbrams)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (riodecelis, artturnerjr)
    Contact by Carl Sagan (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    The Cassiopeia Affair by Chloe Zerwick (MinaKelly)
    Shield by Poul Anderson (MinaKelly)
    The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson (Valashain)
    Valashain: Robinson's work shows the same kind of optimism in the future that Clarke seems to have. The style and subject of The Memory of Whiteness reminded me of Clarke most but this goes for other works by Robinson as well.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (benmartin79)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Seminal breakthrough works
    I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream [short story] by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another 60s SF tale that takes the notion of malevolent AI to nightmarish extremes.
    Titan by Stephen Baxter (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories have many similarities (mainly a manned expedition to Saturn), though Baxter's story is much darker.

English (146)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  All (153)
That last chapter cost it half a star. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
I saw the eponymous movie many years ago, and didn't really follow it - hey, I couldn't have been more than 8 years old. Now that I've read the book, I really, really want to see the movie again. There's really more to the book than could be well presented in a film, but seeing the film as a kind of appendix to the movie, will, I think, work better.

Mr. Clark's writing isn't as powerfully compelling as some, but beautifully evocative. I found it very, very easy to fall into the story, and be there with the viewpoint characters - even the pre- and the post - human ones.

The characters were all vivid and believable, which is important in this novel. It manages to be both plot and character driven.

While it is science fiction, it's very accessible. I think it could appeal to a general audience, as well as SF/F fans. I quite enjoyed it, myself.

I'm almost hesitant to read the sequel - I'm not sure where you would go from the end of this story. But curiosity will drive me to find out :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
So much better than the movie in my opinion. Maybe I will give the movie another go after finally reading this but I was always bored by it. With the book I could not stop reading. ( )
  Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |
What a great forward to this book:
“Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. Since the dawn of time, roughly a hundred billion human beings have walked the planet Earth.

Now this is an interesting number, for by a curious coincidence there are approximately a hundred billion stars in our local universe, the Milky Way. So for every man who has ever lived, in this Universe there shines a star.

But every one of those stars is a sun, often far more brilliant and glorious than the small, nearby star we call the Sun. And many - perhaps most - of those alien suns have planets circling them. So almost certainly there is enough land in the sky to give every member of the human species, back to the first ape-man, his own private, world-sized heaven - or hell.

How many of those potential heavens and hells are now inhabited, and by what manner of creatures, we have no way of guessing; the very nearest is a million times farther away than Mars or Venus, those still remote goals of the next generation. But the barriers of distance are crumbling; one day we shall meet our equals, or our masters, among the stars.

Men have been slow to face this prospect; some still hope that it may never become reality. Increasing numbers, however are asking; 'Why have such meetings not occurred already, since we ourselves are about to venture into space?'

Why not, indeed? Here is one possible answer to that very reasonable question. But please remember: this is only a work of fiction.

The truth, as always, will be far stranger.”

Arthur C. Clarke
What a fabulous book; I really enjoyed reading this and will probably read it again some point. I've seen the film many times, but it's not the same.

I love this profound 'observation'!
"But why bury a Sun-powered device thirty feet underground? We've examined dozens of theories, though we realize that it may be completely impossible to understand the motives of creatures three million years in advance of us.

The favorite theory is the simplest, and the most logical. It is also the most disturbing.

You hide a Sun-powered device in darkness - only if you want to know when it is brought out into the light. In other words, the monolith may be some kind of alarm. And we have triggered it."

Highly recommended! ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
My mind is going...

Non è la storia di HAL9000, anche se la sua disobbedienza, o forse lo sviluppo della coscienza di sè in una macchina (ipotesi affascinante cui non si può restare indifferenti) sono lo spartiacque del destino della missione della navetta spaziale Discovery. Difficile evitare il paragone con la pellicola di Kubrick: dove è tutto immagine e silenzio e non detto, nel romanzo le immagini sono parole e siamo portati a pensare che è più difficile ed il confronto è svantaggioso perchè l'immagine è immediatezza, la parola è mediazione... mediazione fra l'occhio e la mente. Ma non è affatto così. Sebbene possa sembrare datato e povero di descrizioni tecnologiche, Arthur Clarke ha una capacità immensa di descrivere l'indescrivibile: lo spazio, ultima frontiera di un essere, l'uomo, che ha raggiunto il predominio sul pianeta dove vive, ed è adesso proiettato verso nuovi confini. La luce, il buio spaziale, il tempo che si dilata, il viaggio, la solitudine, il monolite, il mistero, lo spazio che fagocita se stesso ed il tempo. L'uomo che ritorna nel ventre della creazione e si rigenera in qualcosa che darà di nuovo inizio alla storia, una nuova o la stessa? chissà... siamo solo agli albori... (to be continued >>)
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |

Clarke, Arthur C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubrick, StanleyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eis, EgonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mare, J.B. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velsen, A. vanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stanley
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. Here on the Equator, in the continent which would one day be known as Africa, the battle for existence had reached a new climax of ferocity, and the victor was not yet in sight.
Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. (Foreword)
"I'm not going to do that, Dave."
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Now they were lords of the galaxy, and beyond the reach of time. They could rove at will among the stars, and sink like a subtle mist through the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin, in a worm slime of a vanished sea.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451457994, Mass Market Paperback)

When an enigmatic monolith is found buried on the moon, scientists are amazed to discover that it's at least 3 million years old. Even more amazing, after it's unearthed the artifact releases a powerful signal aimed at Saturn. What sort of alarm has been triggered? To find out, a manned spacecraft, the Discovery, is sent to investigate. Its crew is highly trained--the best--and they are assisted by a self-aware computer, the ultra-capable HAL 9000. But HAL's programming has been patterned after the human mind a little too well. He is capable of guilt, neurosis, even murder, and he controls every single one of Discovery's components. The crew must overthrow this digital psychotic if they hope to make their rendezvous with the entities that are responsible not just for the monolith, but maybe even for human civilization.

Clarke wrote this novel while Stanley Kubrick created the film, the two collaborating on both projects. The novel is much more detailed and intimate, and definitely easier to comprehend. Even though history has disproved its "predictions," it's still loaded with exciting and awe-inspiring science fiction. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:17 -0400)

A special new Introduction by the author highlights this reissue of a classic science fiction novel that changed the way people looked at the stars--and themselves. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the classic science fiction novel that changed the way we looked at the stars and ourselves. 2001: A Space Odyssey inspired what is perhaps the greatest science fiction film ever made--brilliantly imagined by the late Stanley Kubrick ... 2001 is finally here.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,423,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible