2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

2001: A Space Odyssey (original 1968; edition 2000)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:Gilles27
Title:2001: A Space Odyssey
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Roc (2000), Edition: Ex-Library, Mass Market Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:2012, Your library
Rating:***1/2

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke (1968)

2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke (ksk21, philAbrams)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (riodecelis, artturnerjr)
    Contact by Carl Sagan (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: A better "first contact" story.
    The Cassiopeia Affair by Chloe Zerwick (MinaKelly)
    Shield by Poul Anderson (MinaKelly)
    The Memory of Whiteness by Kim Stanley Robinson (Valashain)
    Valashain: Robinson's work shows the same kind of optimism in the future that Clarke seems to have. The style and subject of The Memory of Whiteness reminded me of Clarke most but this goes for other works by Robinson as well.
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (benmartin79)
    Even Peons are People: Interplanetary Justice by D. Pak (philAbrams)
    philAbrams: Seminal breakthrough works
    I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream [short story] by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another 60s SF tale that takes the notion of malevolent AI to nightmarish extremes.
    Titan by Stephen Baxter (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories have many similarities (mainly a manned expedition to Saturn), though Baxter's story is much darker.

English (138)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  All (145)
Really great book. I will definitely read more by Arthur C Clarke. ( )
  hazeydaes | Jun 18, 2017 |
Can anyone read Hal's dialogue without channeling the movie? Still annoyed with Clarke calling the moon monolith "TMA-1" right from the start. I guess it got overlooked in all the movie/novel revisions, but it's still sloppy. And I still don't like the ending. But the science of the fiction was good. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I watched the movie when it came out in 1968 and finally got the book read. Not sure why it took me so long, it is not a long book. I found Hal and space travel really scary. This book was written in conjunction with Stanley Kubrick and the film was released before the book. When this movie and book were first released man had not yet walked on the moon. This book covers from early man-ape to the evolution of man to star child. It is a book about technology, artificial intelligence, aliens, and space travel. The book actually is quite detailed about the space travel. I found the book slow to get into. For me it was hard to engage until Hal becomes malevolent and has to be taken out. That is quite a tension filled section. I also found the last sections of the book to be like the first part. I just wasn't all that engaged. The movie was quite awesome, ahead of its time and received awards for visual affects. Arthur C. Clarke born in 1917 was a British science fiction author. 2001 is made up of some short stories he had written. The book and movie were worked on in tandem. The editor's of 1001 state that while the details of the passage of time made the author's projected futuristic developments not age well, Clarke is known and respected for the many fictional predictions that have become fact. Rating 4.29 ( )
1 vote Kristelh | May 8, 2017 |
Evolutionistic thought disguised, more like thongwearing, as a scifi novel. Superintelligence messes with our ancestors and starts them on the path of development. Leave a calling card on the moon, which directs us to Saturn. The man chosen to go ends up becoming a Star Child, and returning to earth. We'll see how the rest of the novels carry this out. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I....I'm not sure what I just read. But I liked it.

I think I need some time to let this just...sink in a little bit. ( )
  hylandk | Nov 2, 2016 |

Clarke, Arthur C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stanley
The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. Here on the Equator, in the continent which would one day be known as Africa, the battle for existence had reached a new climax of ferocity, and the victor was not yet in sight.
Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. (Foreword)
"I'm not going to do that, Dave."
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.
Now they were lords of the galaxy, and beyond the reach of time. They could rove at will among the stars, and sink like a subtle mist through the very interstices of space. But despite their godlike powers, they had not wholly forgotten their origin, in a worm slime of a vanished sea.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos) with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451457994, Mass Market Paperback)

When an enigmatic monolith is found buried on the moon, scientists are amazed to discover that it's at least 3 million years old. Even more amazing, after it's unearthed the artifact releases a powerful signal aimed at Saturn. What sort of alarm has been triggered? To find out, a manned spacecraft, the Discovery, is sent to investigate. Its crew is highly trained--the best--and they are assisted by a self-aware computer, the ultra-capable HAL 9000. But HAL's programming has been patterned after the human mind a little too well. He is capable of guilt, neurosis, even murder, and he controls every single one of Discovery's components. The crew must overthrow this digital psychotic if they hope to make their rendezvous with the entities that are responsible not just for the monolith, but maybe even for human civilization.

Clarke wrote this novel while Stanley Kubrick created the film, the two collaborating on both projects. The novel is much more detailed and intimate, and definitely easier to comprehend. Even though history has disproved its "predictions," it's still loaded with exciting and awe-inspiring science fiction. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:17 -0400)

A special new Introduction by the author highlights this reissue of a classic science fiction novel that changed the way people looked at the stars--and themselves. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the classic science fiction novel that changed the way we looked at the stars and ourselves. 2001: A Space Odyssey inspired what is perhaps the greatest science fiction film ever made--brilliantly imagined by the late Stanley Kubrick ... 2001 is finally here.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,230,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible