Beautiful code by Andrew Oram

Beautiful code (edition 2007)

by Andrew Oram, Greg Wilson (Author)

Member:andyl
Title:Beautiful code
Authors:Andrew Oram
Other authors:Greg Wilson (Author)
Info:Farnham : O'Reilly, 2007.
Tags:software development, programming

Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think by Andy Oram

Essentially, this is thirty or so authors' takes on what makes code beautiful. The approaches vary widely, as does the writing. Some essays are full of code, others of theory, still others mix the two. There are a handful I'd not call beautiful. This is rough and slow reading, and a very long book.

Parts are over my head, of course; the book's clearly intended that way. But parts are just wonderful, and make the book worthwhile. I'm guessing each reader will prefer different essays.

This short review has also been published on a dabbler's journal. ( )
  joeldinda | May 6, 2011 |
There are a couple of real gems in here, mostly from people that I would expect, although a couple from people I hadn't heard of before. Then there are a bunch of people that seemed so enamored with their entire project they couldn't boil the essay down to a real message. My suggestion is to borrow it from someone and read until you lose interest and then skip to the next one. I guess the good part is that point will be different for everyone so there is a good chance there is something in here you will enjoy. Personally I would have cut it down to about a third of the size though.
  jcopenha | Jul 8, 2009 |
With more than thirty essays on the beauty of code, by more than thirty programmers, this book was bound to have some weak spots. However, it also has some brilliant, eye-opening pieces that I'm happy I've now read.

The key to enjoy the book is to sniff out those chapters that won't make the cut for you, either because of their topic or the skills you need to make sense of them, and to focus in detail on the rest. ( )
2 vote jorgearanda | Jun 11, 2008 |
A good book of explained example code in a variety of programming languages. For me there is too much focus explaining the tricks used and less on the title topic of "beautiful code". ( )
  stevedoyle | Feb 25, 2008 |

How do the experts solve difficult problems in software development? In this unique and insightful book, leading computer scientists offer case studies that reveal how they found unusual, carefully designed solutions to high-profile projects. You will be able to look over the shoulder of major coding and design experts to see problems through their eyes. This is not simply another design patterns book, or another software engineering treatise on the right and wrong way to do things. The authors think aloud as they work through their project's architecture, the tradeoffs made in its construction, and when it was important to break rules. Beautiful Code is an opportunity for master coders to tell their story. All author royalties will be donated to Amnesty International. tion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:21 -0400)

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,157,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible