Walking by Henry David Thoreau

Walking (original 1861; edition 2011)

by Henry David Thoreau

Member:Lala-Ru
Title:Walking
Authors:Henry David Thoreau
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 28 pages
Collections:Kindle books
Rating:**
Tags:non-fiction, memoir, read 2012, travel

Walking by Henry David Thoreau (1861)

English (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (4)
An inspirational read. ( )
  Tifi | Jun 25, 2010 |
A lovely little pocket guide, perfect for fans of Thoreau or nature-y types. I'm never quite sure what to do with these kinds of books but someone must enjoy having a miniature library. ( )
  unabridgedchick | Mar 17, 2010 |
  living2read | May 20, 2008 |

Thoreau, Henry Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Envall, MarkkuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laguardia, GuglielmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I wish to speak a word for Nature, for absolute freedom and wildness, as contrasted with a freedom and culture merely civil—to regard man as an inhabitant, or a part and parcel of Nature, rather than a member of society.
I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits, unless I spend four hours a day at least—and it is commonly more than that—sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields, absolutely free from all worldly engagements.
To use an obsolete Latin word, I might say, Ex Oriente lux; ex Occidente FRUX. From the East light; from the West fruit.
The West of which I speak is but another name for the Wild; and what I have been preparing to say is, that in Wildness is the preservation of the World.
A tanned skin is something more than respectable, and perhaps olive is a fitter color than white for a man—a denizen of the woods. "The pale white man!" I do not wonder that the African pitied him. Darwin the naturalist says, "A white man bathing by the side of a Tahitian was like a plant bleached by the gardener's art, compared with a fine, dark green one, growing vigorously in the open fields."
It requires a direct dispensation from Heaven to become a walker. You must be born into the family of the Walkers. Ambulator nascitur, non fit.

Nowadays almost all man's improvements, so called, as the building of houses and the cutting down of the forest and of all large trees, simply deform the landscape, and make it more and more tame and cheap. A people who would begin by burning the fences and let the forest stand!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0400)

A meandering ode to the simple act and accomplished art of taking a walk. Profound and humorous, companionable and curmudgeonly. Walking, by America's first nature writer, is your personal and portable guide to the activity that, like no other, awakens the senses and soul to the 'absolute freedom and wildness' of nature.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible