Wanderlust: A History of Walking by Rebecca…

Wanderlust: A History of Walking (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Rebecca Solnit (Author)

Member:adamtyoung
Title:Wanderlust: A History of Walking
Authors:Rebecca Solnit (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2001), 336 pages

Wanderlust; a History of Walking by Rebecca Solnit (2000)

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All (15)
“The history of walking is an amateur history, just as walking is an amateur act.”

“Walking, ideally, is a state in which the mind, the body, and the world are aligned, as though they were three characters, finally in conversation together, three notes suddenly making a chord.”

“Exploring the world is one of the best ways of exploring the mind, and walking travels both terrains.”

“Walking is, after all, an activity essentially unimproved since the dawn of time.”

^Yes, I love these quotes, but these four all happen, in the first twenty pages. The rest of the narrative, is more hit or miss. I had to keep reminding myself, that this is a history of walking and all the events mentioned here do not fit snugly into, everything I like about this basic mode of transportation, (I am a mailman for crying out loud!). That said, I found much of this history of walking, a bit dry. Yes, I can be selfish. Sue me, but please, do not get me wrong- Solnit is a fine writer, super smart and has really done her homework here, with meticulous precision. She did leave out bird walking, which has really helped spark my interest in strolling through various meadows and woods but there I go again, being self-absorbed.
To her credit, she does close it out, beautifully:

“This constellation called walking has a history, the history trod out by all those poets and philosophers and insurrectionaries, by jaywalkers, streetwalkers, pilgrims, tourists, hikers, mountaineers, but whether it has a future depends on whether those connecting paths are traveled still.” ( )
1 vote msf59 | Apr 4, 2017 |
This was a pretty great read, an interesting take on the walking culture, geography, and social patterns. It was far more academic than I expected, which when I write it out like that sounds snobbish but really it is neither praise nor criticism, just something of note about my experience reading it. I took a class where spatial theory and psychogeography played a key role and I felt like this book could have been usefully applied there. That said, Solnit's approach is way more accessible than reading de Certeau or especially Lefebre, which is definitely a good thing about this book. It's interesting and readable and educational.

I started reading it before taking a trip to Cuba, and thinking so much about travelling really put me into my pedestrian mind because I'm very much a walker when I'm in cities and when I'm in travel mode. I'm most often walking to commute, but even that type of walking is also so much more than commuting, which is what Solnit points out especially in the first part of the book. Walking as protest and rebellion was also wonderfully detailed, although it kept making obvious for me the sides of the picture that are left out. Because the focus is walking there is always this presumption of able-ness, of an able-bodied reader, and practically nothing said about those for whom walking is not a clarifying, liberating, enriching experience. She says practically nothing about those who cannot walk, or cannot walk easily or painlessly.

And it's strange because she does talk about the geographical restrictions that inhibit walkers, such as suburbs or living in dangerous neighbourhoods. And she talks about walking as a female, a chapter I reached when I was in Cuba after two days of walking alone in Havana, where I was indeed reminded again and again by catcalls and comments that the streets were not for me. It was therefore disappointing not to have anything said about disability and travel, though I suspect, as she says about cycling, it would be a whole separate book. But the lack of commentary on it felt as if she hadn't found a way to make sense of her Walking = Enlightenment philosophy where disability is concerned. It felt as if she hadn't found a way to phrase things that didn't say, "sorry, but this Enlightenment is only accessible to the able-bodied." And I doubt Solnit believes that, but it's the cornerstone of this book, really.

Everything else about it made it such a good read, though, and it would've been five stars if the above were addressed. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
If there's one thing I enjoy as much as reading, it's walking, so a book about the history of walking is right up my street. Although, this is not so much a history (at least in chronological terms), more a gently meandering wander through both the highways and bye ways of the subject. And you are travelling with a very erudite enthusiast. So, we go by way of walking philosophers (Rousseau and Kierkegard), obviously Wordsworth and the romantics, a con side ration of the various theories of how, when and why Homo sapiens began to walk upright, walking in Jane Austen novels, a history of formal garden design, walking in cities like San Francisco, New York, London and Paris and so much more. Just like a really good walk, at almost every turn of the page, there's something new and interesting to experience. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
A cliché is inevitable to describe how Ms Solnit take her time to get into her stride and tails off a little tired and disoriented at the end. In between times she scales the heights and has wonderful views of the landscape. A history of walking is in reality a political manifesto. An environmentalist's call for a slower, more human scale world. To her credit she refuses to look back for a rose tinted future. Good at describing the walking done by others surprisingly incoherent and disjointed when it comes to her own perambulations. A writer who walks rather than a walker who writes. ( )
  Steve38 | Mar 27, 2015 |
Interesting as history of walking as recreation, nature appreciation escape from city life, etc. Feminists will be appalled by chapter on women--the assumption that any woman on the streets is there for sexual purposes backed up by laws allowing women to be arrested on mere suspicion. Also history of walkers associations in England enforcing traditional right of way across private property to maintain network of trails.
  ritaer | Mar 7, 2015 |
Where does it start?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140286012, Paperback)

The ability to walk on two legs over long distances distinguishes Homo sapiens from other primates, and indeed from every other species on earth. That ability has also yielded some of the best creative work of our species: the lyrical ballads of the English romantic poets, composed on long walks over hill and dale; the speculations of the peripatetic philosophers; the meditations of footloose Chinese and Japanese poets; the exhortations of Henry David Thoreau and Walt Whitman.

Rebecca Solnit, a thoughtful writer and spirited walker, takes her readers on a leisurely journey through the prehistory, history, and natural history of bipedal motion. Walking, she observes, affords its practitioners an immediate reward--the ability to observe the world at a relaxed gait, one that allows us to take in sights, sounds, and smells that we might otherwise pass by. It provides a vehicle for much-needed solitude and private thought. For the health-minded, walking affords a low-impact and usually pleasant way of shedding a few pounds and stretching a few muscles. It is an essential part of the human adventure--and one that has, until now, been too little documented.

Written in a time when landscapes and cities alike are designed to accommodate automobiles and not pedestrians, Solnit's extraordinary book is an enticement to lace up shoes and set out on an aimless, meditative stroll of one's own. --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,238,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible