Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport) by John…

Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport) (edition 1990)

by John Sandford

Member:evenlake
Title:Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport)
Authors:John Sandford
Info:Berkley (1990), Kindle Edition, 372 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:**1/2
Tags:thriller, kindle, read, 2012

Rules of Prey by John Sandford

I've been reading the “Prey” featuring Lucas Davenport since the first book, Rules of Prey, was published in 1989. There are currently twenty six books in the series so I was interested in going back and seeing Lucas back at the beginning of his career as a Minneapolis cop. His new assignment is to investigate a series of murders where each victim is left with a note outlining some of the rules of the killer. For example, “never kill anyone you know”, never use the same weapon twice”, and “never have a motive”.

Davenport is an interesting character himself. He likes his job as a cop, but his real passion is developing role-playing games. That gives him some extra money and he's the only cop in town who drives a Porsche. He doesn't like to be tied down and is quite a ladies man. He's also not above using the women in his life to make his job easier. The killer, who refers to himself as “maddog”, is quite interesting too. We get to know him in alternating chapters and before long we realize he's an ego driven sociopath who needs to feel superior to everyone else around him.

I found the story to be incredibly exciting, fast paced, and very difficult to put down. Even though I read this book years ago I had no idea who the killer really was or if Lucas would catch him in the end. Rules of Prey is an extreme thriller with a killer who commits a lot of horrific crimes. I don't think I'd recommend it a fan of cozy mysteries but I completely enjoyed it. I have way too many unread books to reread this series again, but it was so nice to see how Lucas Davenport has changed and matured over the last twenty six years. I still might pick up a couple of audios every now and then, because this is a series that could be fun to experience that way. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Sep 16, 2016 |
3.5 / 5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Trying out a new detective series, by starting with the first book. Very enjoyable, but since it was set in the 1980s, it has funny lingo and no cell phones... but the plot is good and the writing smart. I will definitely read the next in the series and see where the story goes from here. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jul 19, 2016 |
“The Star-Tribune had SERIAL KILLER SLAYS 3 CITIES WOMEN. The Pioneer Press was bigger and better: SERIAL KILLER STALKS TWIN CITIES WOMEN. He liked the word “stalks.” It reflected a sense of a continuing process, rather than a historical one; and work that was planned, instead of random.” (135)

Louis Vuillon is a lawyer come sadistic maddog serial killer who preys on women. Hot on his trail is police detective Lucas Davenport: brilliant, intuitive, committed. The two are engaged in a fast-paced battle of wits that only picks up speed as the novel progresses.

Sandford’s series is new to me, but I will definitely read more of these: fast moving thrillers make for great escape reads. And Lucas Davenport is a character who appeals: on the one hand, your classic bad boy – well-dressed, handsome, charming, woman-loving, Porsche-driving – but he is a fine and accomplished detective. Go get ‘em! ( )
  lit_chick | Jul 3, 2016 |
A very interesting start to the series. Gritty and quite different to most other books in this genre for some reason, unless it was the style of the narrator, Lucas Davenport is a very interesting character, look forward to reading more about him. And as for Mad Dog! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauser, SonjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smit, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A rooftop billboard cast a flickering blue light throught the studio windows.

The killer was mad, but brilliant.

He left notes with every woman he killed. Rules of murder. Never have a motive. Never follow a discernible pattern. Never carry a weapon after it has been used... So many rules to his sick, violent games of death ...

But Lucas Davenport, the cop who's out to get him, isn't playing by the rules.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425205819, Mass Market Paperback)

The haunting, unforgettable, ice-blooded thriller that introduced Lucas Davenport is so chilling that you're almost afraid to turn the pages and so mesmerizing you cannot stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

The "maddog" murderer who is terrorizing the Twin Cities is two things: insane and extremely intelligent. He kills for the pleasure of it and thoroughly enjoys placing elaborate obstacles to keep police befuddled. Each clever move he makes is another point of pride. But when the brilliant Lieutenant Lucas Davenport--a dedicated cop and a serial killer's worst nightmare--is brought in to take up the investigation, the maddog suddenly has an adversary worthy of his genius.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible