Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport) by John…

Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport) (edition 1990)

by John Sandford

Member:evenlake
Title:Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport)
Authors:John Sandford
Info:Berkley (1990), Kindle Edition, 372 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:**1/2
Tags:thriller, kindle, read, 2012

Rules Of Prey by John Sandford

Richard Ferrone
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is a gritty and action-packed police procedural that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is also very dated, but that kinda adds to the fun.
  bookwyrmm | Feb 11, 2016 |
Lucas Davenport is a police officer who is assigned to the maddog serial killer case. The maddog attacks and murders women with no discernible pattern and leaves rules of how to kill at each murder site. Along with being a police lieutenant Davenport is also a wealthy video game develoepr and a womanizer. I liked the serial killer storyline but I really didn't like Davenport. He does way too many unethical things for my taste and comes accross as a supermacho guy. Not sure If I will read any more in this series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
While I enjoyed the book, I didn’t love it. I realized at the end that I disliked all of the characters, especially the women. Really cool to read something set in Minneapolis though. ( )
  melaniefaith | Dec 2, 2015 |
Audiobook: Rules of Prey is the first in a long series of Lucas Davenport police procedurals set in Minneapolis. I’ve read about ten of them, not in order and for some reason never got around to the first, an oversight I have now remedied. The Sandford Davenport books are all quite good, although Lucas’s relationships with women I sometimes find superficial and irritating.

Lucas is independently wealthy having sold the rights to a software game he had developed and he drives around in a red Porsche. In this one, he’s been tasked with finding the “Mad Dog Killer,” a man -- whose predations and POV we are subjected to -- who is killing women.

One aspect puzzled and put me off a little. That was Lucas’s manipulation of the press. He’s sleeping with (and has impregnated) one of the star reporters of a local paper. She has no qualms about using things she has overheard during his private phone conversations even though she has been asked to leave the room. (His relationship with her is highly improper, in my view and hardly necessary since he’s sleeping with a victim of the Mad Dog Killer - also extremely unprofessional and irregular.) Then he uses a TV reporter (whom he regards as dumber than a rock) to leak all sorts of incorrect information clearly to irritate the killer. Whether that encourages the killer to kill in a different way I’ll leave up to the other readers. I understand that some writers feel it’s necessary for cops to break the rules to catch the bad guys but imho then they become bad guys as well. (Not a spoiler since we know who the bad guy is almost from the beginning, unfortunately participating in his predations via his POV that becomes gross as the book progresses.)

Richard Ferrone does his usual brilliant job reading. ( )
  ecw0647 | Nov 20, 2015 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hauser, SonjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smit, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A rooftop billboard cast a flickering blue light throught the studio windows.

The murderer was intelligent. He was a member of the bar. He derived rules based on professional examination of actual cases: Never kill anyone you know. Never have a motive. Never follow a discernible pattern. Never carry a weapon after it has been used. Beware of leaving physical evidence. There were more. He built them into a challenge. He was mad, of course . . .
The killer's name is Louis Vullion, a low-key young attorney who, under the camouflage of normalcy, researches his next female victim until the pressure within him forces him to reach out and "collect" her. Plying his secret craft with the tactics of a games master, he has gripped the Twin Cities in a storm of terror more fierce than any Minnesota winter.
It is after the third murder that Lucas Davenport is called in. It is the opinion of his colleagues that everything about the lieutenant is a little different, and they are right – in the computer games he invents and sells, in the Porsche he drives to work, in the quality of the women he attracts, in his single-minded pursuit of justice. The only member of the department's Office of Special Intelligence, Davenport prefers to work alone, parallel with Homicide, and there is something about this serial killer that he quickly understands. The man who signs himself "maddog" in taunting notes to the police is no textbook sociopath; he has a perverse playfulness that makes him kill for the sheer contest of it. He is a player.
Which means that Davenport will have to put all his mental strength – and physical courage – on the line to learn to think like the killer. For the only way to beat the maddog is at his own hellish game. . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425205819, Mass Market Paperback)

The haunting, unforgettable, ice-blooded thriller that introduced Lucas Davenport is so chilling that you're almost afraid to turn the pages and so mesmerizing you cannot stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

The "maddog" murderer who is terrorizing the Twin Cities is two things: insane and extremely intelligent. He kills for the pleasure of it and thoroughly enjoys placing elaborate obstacles to keep police befuddled. Each clever move he makes is another point of pride. But when the brilliant Lieutenant Lucas Davenport--a dedicated cop and a serial killer's worst nightmare--is brought in to take up the investigation, the maddog suddenly has an adversary worthy of his genius.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible