The Time of Contempt (The Witcher) by…

The Time of Contempt (The Witcher) (original 1995; edition 2013)

by Andrzej Sapkowski (Author), David A French (Translator)

Series: The Witcher (5)

1,1452012,300 (4.04)17
Geralt the Witcher has fought monsters and demons across the land, but even he may not be prepared for what is happening to his world. The kings and armies are maneuvering for position, each fearing invasion from across the river, each fearing their neighbours more. Intrigue, dissent and rebellion are on all sides. The Elves and other non-humans are still suffering under decades of repression, and growing numbers join the commando units hidden deep in the forest, striking at will and then dissolving into the trees. The Magicians are fighting amongst themselves, some in the pay of the kings, some sympathetic to the elves. And against this backdrop of fear and contempt Geralt and his lover Yennefer must protect Ciri, orphaned heir and sought by all sides. For the prophecy rests on her, and whether she lives or dies she has the power to save the world - or perhaps end it.… (more)
Member:muralijayapala
Title:The Time of Contempt (The Witcher)
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski (Author)
Other authors:David A French (Translator)
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: 1, 352 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski (1995)

English (15)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
While I’m not saying these books contain the best writing (perhaps a little becomes lost in the translation), they continue not to disappoint. In this volume, the situation heats up with all out battles and portents of war greater than the world of the Witcher has experienced to date. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Sep 11, 2020 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Time of Contempt

Tensions run high as rumors of Nilfgaard’s influence over the other kingdoms begin to cross the land. Sorcerers and warriors alike begin to choose sides, and those who try to remain neutral won’t find it easy. Despite all Geralt has done, the number of enemies searching for Ciri continues to grow. And as skilled as Geralt is, even he is not invincible.

Time of Contempt has more politics than the previous novels. I’m not one for politics, but they do provide a good foundation for why certain characters are pushed in different directions. Though I will confess, with the number of characters and kingdoms mentioned, I can’t remember any of them. I’m a reader who much prefers character development and action. The politics slowed the story down for me, but the moments when I was able to read about the main characters kept me turning the pages.

Ciri’s past will be explained in greater detail, and the girl will receive plenty of page time. I enjoyed reading Ciri’s point of view, even if it meant there was less of Geralt in this book. She is such an opinionated and fierce girl. She so badly wants to be independent and respected instead of viewed as a little girl. But Ciri will learn that with the independence she so badly craves, she will have to do things that will forever change her. It is one thing to learn how to defend yourself with sword and magic, but it is an entirely new experience to kill to protect yourself.

The Witcher series continues to provide an engaging story and characters that I can’t help but enjoy. Geralt has such a different relationship with each of his companions, and I love the diversity in how he behaves with them. I also enjoyed seeing them all together for the first time in this novel. Readers will not be disappointed as the storylines begin to come together for a remarkable journey. ( )
  Letora | Aug 15, 2020 |
The first half lagged like book one, withtoo much conversation and shifting perspectives of the various various kingdoms' rulers. However, once the poltical sh!tstorm struck, the story kicked into high gear.

Everyone is looking for Ciri, child of the Elder Blood and prophesy. The Emperor of Nilfgaard wants her because of her royal blood and claim (via a son) to the throne of Cintra. The various other kings are looking to kill her for the same reason. Geralt, skilled warrior and fighter, is wholly indequate with political intrigue and Yennefer is too arrogant in belief of her own skills of manipulation. When a coup erupts at Aretuza amongst the sorcerers, Geralt finally learns that neutrality is a delusion he must relinquish and Yennefer once again vanishes. Ciri is thrown into the world without either to protect her.

I really enjoyed the novel because the character flaws in our protagonists, Geralt and Yennefer, are fully revealed and the plot began to unfold. The second half is action-packed, and the book concludes with Ciri finally on her own and forced to take her own fate in hand. I'm excited to see where this goes. ( )
  jshillingford | Jul 25, 2020 |
You know, when I come right down to this series, like any other epic fantasy I've read, it all hangs on how much I get into the characters.

No matter what kind of action sequences come around or how much cool magic gets thrown in our faces or what kind of war blows up, I'm still tied up in my love of Geralt, Yennifer, and Ciri. When things get dark and the contempt surrounds everyone, I'm rooting for them. And the bard, too. :) And little miss unrequited. :)

After that point, I'm honestly amazed at how well I received this novel inside my head. Its structure and the way it flits from several different storytelling styles, its truly surprising (and awesome) jabs in the plot, and the wicked turns that come about later make me rather want to scream. But that's only because this book DOES NOT FOLLOW NORMAL STRUCTURE. Then again, neither did Blood of Elves. Or the two story collections. The way the tale comes out always keeps me on my toes, keeps everything feeling fresh, and there's no way I can't compare this against so many other epic fantasies, but one thing I CAN say is that it tells stories around corners. You may KNOW something is coming, but Sapkowski truly lulls you into believing that THIS cool scene here is the pinnacle of THIS section, and then he comes right around and slams your head against the table and you're either stunned or you get really pissed or it jerks tears out of you because the SCENE IS JUST TOO FREAKING GORGEOUS.

I'm sure some of you know what I mean. Yennifer and Ciri? As a mirror to a certain queen? OMG that just cut through all my defenses. And then the hits just kept coming and coming.

And coming.

Yes, this series has a hard world to live in. It's not just hard for the elves, but it's hard for women. But damn, if there aren't a lot of hard women in here hitting back!

The love story. I'm sorry, but I started blubbering like a little baby. I thought it was great in The Last Wish, but this just made me an ugly little mess.

I can't not give a book that affects me the way anything less than a full five stars. It not only holds up well against all these modern epic fantasies, but I see precisely where it blows the previous generation of fantasies out of the water, ushering in everything we now know and love. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
3'5/5 estrellas.
Me ha gustado aunque algunas partes se me han hecho más pesadas que otras. Pero en general me ha gustado y entretenido . Ya va cogiendo ritmo la saga y eso me gusta. Ya tengo ganas de empezar el siguiente y ver cómo continua. ( )
  airun95 | Mar 9, 2020 |

Andrzej Sapkowskiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belletti, RaffaellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
French, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simon, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brujeros, a. brujos entre norteños (V.).
Para poder ganarse la vida como mensajero a caballo, solía decir Aplegatt a los chavales que entraban al servicio, hacen falta dos cosas: una cabeza de oro y un culo de hierro.
When talking to young ones entering the service, Aplegatt usually told them that in order to make their living as mounted messengers two things would be necessary: a head of gold and an arse of iron.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,909,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible